PDA

View Full Version : Guy who tests and reviews cars

2.2vtec
09-26-2004, 11:17 PM
How does one get a job where he can test drive cars and write reviews? I think that would be an awesome job!

max_boost
09-26-2004, 11:20 PM
Like Harry Pegg from the Calgary Sun?! As if that's not a dream job to die for.:clap:

Ben
09-27-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Like Harry Pegg from the Calgary Sun?! As if that's not a dream job to die for.:clap:

Actually I think Jeremy Clarkson - BBC Top Gear has probably one of the best jobs as far as that goes. The cars he drives and stuff he gets to do is incredible.

/////AMG
09-27-2004, 02:56 AM
:werd: I wish i was JC

Melinda
09-27-2004, 08:59 AM
You get a job like that by working your way up...just being a guy who likes to drive cars isnt enough. Start with journalism school, pay your dues there and eventually start looking for newspapers and magazines that would be in need of someone to do that kind of thing. You arent just gonna walk into a news office and apply for a job like that, but good luck with it :)

Ben
09-27-2004, 09:24 AM
In cojunction with what Melinda said, you'd also have to have a good reputation for ability to drive. Many driving schools, track courses and training. If you watch Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear...he isn't your typical commuter.

Comes down to who you know IMO for jobs like that.

Stratus_Power
09-27-2004, 10:14 AM
JC has the dream job haha, he gets to drive ( and abuse) all the cars from something like a RX8 to a Carrera GT to Bentley!

and they pay him eough that he can afford Ferrari 360 or SL55 or Ford GT

BloodBaneZXY
09-28-2004, 06:06 PM
There's that one dude who test drives all lamborghini's I saw him on a documentary, god what I would do for that job..

Valentino Balboni ..my hero! :tongue:

blinkme_210
09-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Well the co-hosts of Top Hear have pretty much the same job as Jeremy, although Jeremy gets to drive the more powerful cars. But that's not to say Richard & James don't get their fair share of awesome cars to drive. Richard's driven the SLR, Continental GT, C6 Corvette, GT3, NSX-R, etc. Oh wait.... James drives the uninteresting European luxury cars.

Neil4Speed
09-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Kind of off-topic, but is anyone else addicted to Top Gear? I think this is the hands down best car show I have ever seen. Its so witty, unique, and interesting. They don't give you just the facts, but actually show you the car with some flare you know? I dunno fi this is a fair statement, but you realize that after watching the show that the british have a real thing for driving, moreso than us.

Man that Topgear Trade site is slow to get those torrents up, it sucks. I NEED MORE

Anyone see the CL65 test? What a beast, but it looked like it couldn't move very well at all. Seems like quite a german concept haha, straight up brute power.

good day guys.

Ajay
09-28-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by BloodBaneZXY
There's that one dude who test drives all lamborghini's I saw him on a documentary, god what I would do for that job..

Valentino Balboni ..my hero! :tongue:

:werd:

I saw that show too....think it was Rides. That dude has THE best job ever. They said that people from all over the world ship him their Lambo's so he can put it through the paces. The boy get's paid to bag the shit outta other people's Lamborghini's!!! :bigpimp:

blinkme_210
09-28-2004, 11:47 PM
The guy is like 80 years old, don't think he's just a boy, lol.

Stratus_Power
09-29-2004, 12:18 AM
I want to get some top gear too! Im addicted to them!
dont forget Richard gets to drive the Maybach!

izzoblitzo
09-29-2004, 12:21 AM
My cousin took the journalism course at Sait, and got hooked up with a video game review gig.. he gets paid to play video games. And he gets to keep many of the games he plays. :D

Melinda
09-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by izzoblitzo
My cousin took the journalism course at Sait, and got hooked up with a video game review gig.. he gets paid to play video games. And he gets to keep many of the games he plays. :D
Yep, I took the course too, it's an awesome education and it's recognized internationally...one of only a few journalism programs in canada :)

Your cousin did well though, who does he write the reviews for?