PDA

View Full Version : sts remoted mounted turbos

theken
09-27-2004, 12:04 AM
has anybody seen or heard much about these things??
http://www.ststurbo.com they are making one for my truck so i think i might have to look into them :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

theken
09-27-2004, 04:07 PM
nobody??

h22aseller
09-30-2004, 10:31 AM
if you can turbo magazine did an article in their october issue, not too sure if it is still on newstands though. sounds pretty damn promising though

RickDaTuner
09-30-2004, 11:01 AM
why not jsut stick with a regular turbo set up, this thing looks like a Lag monster, the whole point of getting a turbo is performance. but if you start by moving the turbo away from the manifold, it smight help a little (better than stock) but wouldn't be at the performance level that a regular turbo set up puts out.

this to me woudl be a really good setup if you are planning on twincharging, less clutter in the engine

Ryan@DerdallDesigns
09-30-2004, 11:27 AM
I think its a pretty killer set up for a low budget butter instal. but why not mount it closer to the manifold??either way not too shabby though

rage2
09-30-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
why not jsut stick with a regular turbo set up, this thing looks like a Lag monster
Notice they only use these systems on large displacement motors? Lag is less of an issues with displacement.

The civic/integra prototypes would be interesting tho.

rage2
09-30-2004, 11:38 AM
Something interesting... with the turbo components so close to the fuel tank and fuel filler, one has to wonder how much of a fire hazard this setup could be...

JCX
09-30-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Something interesting... with the turbo components so close to the fuel tank and fuel filler, one has to wonder how much of a fire hazard this setup could be...

For certain.

Another concern I'd have is the safety of the turbo. Remote mounting, IMO, allows a greater chance of getting debris thrown at the turbo. Even just getting it covered in dirt and what not. Then there's the whole water and snow thing. I would want to have a torching hot turbo suddenly soaked with water.

An interesting concept nonetheless. Not for me though.

theken
10-02-2004, 04:13 PM
^^^I think if u properly covered the turbo with possibly a heat shield or some kind of custom made shield it would be alright. I watched some of the videos I don't know if u guys did or not but there didn't seem to be much lag in that truck at all, it was pretty fast. IMO i think this would be a sweet set up on my dodge ram.

The reason why they keep them away from the manifold is the heat in the engine bay, the further away from the bay the colder the turbo the more power you get (so they say)

rage2
10-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by theken
The reason why they keep them away from the manifold is the heat in the engine bay, the further away from the bay the colder the turbo the more power you get (so they say)
The less the heat, the less energy there is to drive the turbine, the more lag it is. This is why their system is used on big displacement motors, because off boost, they have a lot exhaust flow even with the turbine so far downstream.

If you think having the compressor in the engine bay makes the intake charge too hot, don't forget the laws of thermodynamics, where when you compress air, it heats up considerably. So much so, that engine bay heat on the compressor is really a non issue. In simple terms, a turbo sitting in the engine bay vs a turbo sitting on the back by the muffler will have very similar outlet temps.

The only time engine bay temps play a role is on improper turbo setups, for example, guys with air fiters sitting behind a hot radiator, which sits behind a hot intercooler. Sucking in hot air in this case, and compressing the hot air, results in VERY hot air. On a turbo setup where your air is coming in from the outside, or on a cold section of the engine bay (ie ventalated from the outside), temps near or on the compressor really don't make much of a difference.

theken
10-02-2004, 06:03 PM
so then are you for or againt this idea?? or would I be better off supercharging

rage2
10-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Technically, it's a stupid idea. These guys are good at marketing though, I'll bet they'll sell tons.

theken
10-03-2004, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by rage2

The less the heat, the less energy there is to drive the turbine, the more lag it is. This is why their system is used on big displacement motors, because off boost, they have a lot exhaust flow even with the turbine so far downstream.

Doesn't heat create the velocity in the exhaust gasses to spool the turbo?
No, heat doesn't create velocity. Heat creates volume. If you look at any of the physics laws for gasses, you will find that pressure and volume and heat are related. PV=NRT is a popular one, The V isn't for velocity, it is for Volume.
The turbine housing is what creates the velocity. The scrolling design that reduces the volume of the exhaust chamber as it scrolls around causes the gasses to have to increase in velocity and pressure to maintain the same flow rate.

Hotter gasses have more volume, thus requiring a higher A/R which in effect means that it starts at say 3" and scrolls down to approximately 1". Lower temperature gasses are denser and have less volume, so they require a lower A/R housing which would start at the same 3" volume, as the turbine housings use standard flanges, and scroll down to say 3/4".

Now if you were to reverse the housings in application, the conventional turbo would spool up extremely quick, at say around 1500 rpm but would cause too much backpressure at higher rpms because the higher volume of gas couldn't squeeze through the 3/4" hole without requiring a lot of pressure to force it through. On the reverse side, the remote mounted turbo with its cooler denser gasses, wouldn't spool up till say around 4000 rpms but once spooled up would make efficient power because it doesn't require hardly any backpressure to push the lower volume of gas through the larger 1" hole.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :bullshit: :dunno:

rx7_turbo2
10-03-2004, 09:09 AM
I kept watching the video hoping they would discuss what is done about an oil feed of some kind. They never did. How is this thing cooled and lubricated? There has to be some kind of oiling system I would think.

I don't like the idea of this system whatsover.

rage2
10-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Heat doesn't create the velocity, but it's the simplest thing to describe. If you look at how a turbine works, it's basically the reverse of a compressor.

The compressor takes cool low pressure air, and compresses it to a hotter high pressure charge by converting mechanical engine from the shaft. The turbine side is backwards, it takes the hot high pressure exhaust charge, and drops pressure and temperature, and that energy is converted to mechanical energy for use on the compressor side.

So when I'm explaining that heat energy is lost, what I'm saying is as heat energy is lost, pressure is also lost. So in the STS turbo setup, not only is there low heat energy in it's turbine inlet, there's low pressure as well. With low pressure, there's only so much pressure drop that's possible, and thus, very tough to begin spool.

Funny how they actually mentioned that the STS setup doesn't spool up until 4000rpm... their applications start running out of cam around 5500-6000rpm range, so you're lucky to see a 1500rpm powerband.

rx7_turbo2
10-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Funny how they actually mentioned that the STS setup doesn't spool up until 4000rpm... their applications start running out of cam around 5500-6000rpm range, so you're lucky to see a 1500rpm powerband.
It's a dumb ass system. :thumbsdow

theken
10-03-2004, 12:26 PM
that 4000 rpm boost is with the upgraded turbo system, the normal system claims to see full boost before 3000 rpm,
as for the oil there is 12 feet of oil line that runs to and from the turbo setup, supposed to be cooler when it gets back from the turbo :dunno:

method
10-03-2004, 12:39 PM
I think it's only worth it if you're trying to fool people...

think of the the lag
think of the pressure drop
think of all the other things that can go wrong with that much piping and lines..
think of the children! :(

theken
10-03-2004, 12:45 PM
tsunami noise simulator at it's finest

trtturbo
10-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Not at all. My basically stock LS1 makes 412/451 @ 5psi. We did and iron block 408 and made 650 @10psi. The turbos are sized to work in the rear. There is a certain amount of heat energy lost, but what creates boost is flow across the turbine. My car makes full boost by 3100. The turbo runs about 500 degrees cooler so there is no issue of water spashing on the turbo. I have had mine on since Feb, and no issues at all. The car has been driven from Utah to Texas in Feb in bad snow; all went great. I have even broken 29mpg a few times after I put the turbo on. The install is very easy. Most could do it in about 6 hours. No special tools required.

gpomp
10-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by trtturbo
Not at all. My basically stock LS1 makes 412/451 @ 5psi. We did and iron block 408 and made 650 @10psi. The turbos are sized to work in the rear. There is a certain amount of heat energy lost, but what creates boost is flow across the turbine. My car makes full boost by 3100. The turbo runs about 500 degrees cooler so there is no issue of water spashing on the turbo. I have had mine on since Feb, and no issues at all. The car has been driven from Utah to Texas in Feb in bad snow; all went great. I have even broken 29mpg a few times after I put the turbo on. The install is very easy. Most could do it in about 6 hours. No special tools required.
Can't you say all of that for a 'regular' turbo setup....?

trtturbo
10-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Most of that, yes, you can. There are a couple of differences. First, most turbo kits for LS1 f-bodies are $5000 - $7000 and require 20 - 25 hours to install. You can get these kits for about $3700 and can be install in about 6 hours or so in your driveway.
There is nothing to relocate under the hood and doesnt require special tools. You dont have to deal with extreme under hood temps. The systems are very expandable with GT turbos available.