PDA

View Full Version : Dodge srt-4 (Turbo) or Saturn Redline (supercharger)

Pages : [1] 2

Cypresskilla
09-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Hey, I'm going to buy a new car and I can't decide which would be better, the Dodge srt-4 or the new Saturn redline. One turbo charged the other supercharged. The Dodge has more torque and HP but the redline, in opinon looks better and is lighter. What i'm wondering is it better to have a turbo charger or supercharger? any thoughts
What the F*#k is the internet?

QuasarCav
09-27-2004, 10:13 AM
You are going to kick up a storm here....

The Neon will be faster, faster off the line, from a roll. The looks are subjective and are different for everyone.

The Saturn would be better for ease of driving, The suspension is not as hard and the power is more linear as opposed to a turbocharger.

I think they both come in at around 27K.

What are you looking for in a car? If it's straight line speed go for the neon!

EK 2.0
09-27-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

The Neon will be faster, faster off the line, from a roll. The looks are subjective and are different for everyone.

The Saturn would be better for ease of driving, The suspension is not as hard and the power is more linear as opposed to a turbocharger.

the SRT can corner very well too you know??...and there is a LOT of support for its suspension...

I say the SRT man...loads of fun...

QuasarCav
09-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

the SRT can corner very well too you know??...and there is a LOT of support for its suspension...

I say the SRT man...loads of fun...

I know, I'm just talking right out of the box.

The neon has great FACTORY aftermarket support. You can go from mild to wild and retain your warranty.

I may get flamed but IMO the saturn corners better in stock from.

My vote is for the neon though, better support and crazy power for 27K. Do a search for Phuqu and ACX and check out their dyno charts.

ACX
09-27-2004, 10:49 AM
they gassed the gearing on the redline, so it's functionally pretty slow.. as reported by SCC. i'm not sure if that is even 14 second (sea level) material..

This is my little biatch in exhaust stage 1 form..
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/234/stage_1_vs_ex.jpg

A small turbo, so it isn't all tht laggy.

Drive them both and see which one you like better. You should be able to get a hell of a deal on an SRT4 now..
:thumbsup:

Cypresskilla
09-27-2004, 08:07 PM
So we have a more votes for the srt-4, but one of the things i like about the redline is it has a nicer finish and looks more aggressive, however i hear what you guys are saying about the power, i have driven both and while the redline has good power throughout the srt-4 kicks u back in the seat, also i had the redline up around 7000rpm and it kicked out, i'm still not sure as this will be a daily driver, one thing i'm concerned about is the fact that i drive hard all the time and i'm worried i will blow up the turbo in the srt-4, and is it true most turbo engines need to be rebuild at around 160,000 km (give or take):burnout:

ACX
09-27-2004, 09:44 PM
well, you'll need winter tires on both. I doubt you'll blow the turbo up, let it cool and you'll be fine. The motor is plenty beefy. No major issues with them, or the PT turbo (basically the same motor).

http://www.edmunds.com/media/2003/newyork/04.saturn.ion.redline/04.saturn.ion.redline.r34.500.jpg
http://www.qnet.com/~gladdly/Neon2003014ca.jpg

I wouldn't call either overly aggressive, or any sport compact for that matter.

GoChris
09-27-2004, 10:32 PM
I am not a fan of neons, but definately more of a fan that saturns, imo the neon > redline and it actually looks better too

illeagle
09-27-2004, 10:33 PM
SRT-4:thumbsup:

finboy
09-27-2004, 10:45 PM

sportcompact car tested both and found the neon to be a better handling car

Chester
09-27-2004, 10:54 PM
the srt-4 looks waaaay better IMHO

Phuqu
09-28-2004, 12:03 AM
SRT-4 gets my vote. Hands down.:thumbsup:

zer0
09-28-2004, 12:05 AM
why don't you just NOT get the worst american brands of vehicles there is god neons suck and saturn??????????
i'd buy a KIA or LADA before a dodge or saturn LOL I really want to start running over neons with my truck
you obviously can't afford to buy a decent new car so just settle for a used one

finboy
09-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by zer0
why don't you just NOT get the worst american brands of vehicles there is god neons suck and saturn??????????
i'd buy a KIA before a dodge or a LADA
you obviously can't afford to buy a decent new car so just settle for a used one

and you obviously have no clue what you are talking about :thumbsup:

bcrdukes
09-28-2004, 01:05 AM
In my opinion, SRT-4 > Saturn Redline (or whatever you call that damn thing.)

:rolleyes:

Anyways,

the price margin isn't all that much.

If you want a fun, fast, easily modifiable car, I'd definately go for the SRT-4. Turbo applications put out more power and definately gives your driving experience and extra, "OMPH!"

Superchargers, on the other hand, don't yield as much power as turbochargers do. Most superchargers aren't upgradable but that depends on the type of supercharger that is being used.

There are several types of superchargers from Roots type, centrifugal and Eatons type. Different ones yeild different power ranges and some are more prone to heat soaking than others.

I'd defiantely ditch the supercharged vehicle and go turbo. It's the real displacement replacement. :)

ACX
09-28-2004, 08:23 AM
i'd buy a KIA or LADA before a dodge or saturn LOL I really want to start running over neons with my truck

you actually had to edit that response, and it still looks like sh*t :rofl:. Captain grammar called, you're making him cry.

Anytime you want to start running neons over moron, by all means let me know where I can meet you, and mine will be the first..

You:
http://www.deadseasonmusic.com/BUBBA_PICS/BUBBA_BLACK_MULLET.jpg

Your truck
http://www.thehumorsource.com/pictures/1182.jpg

QuasarCav
09-28-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by ACX

you actually had to edit that response, and it still looks like sh*t :rofl:. Captain grammar called, you're making him cry.

Anytime you want to start running neons over moron, by all means let me know where I can meet you, and mine will be the first..

You:
http://www.deadseasonmusic.com/BUBBA_PICS/BUBBA_BLACK_MULLET.jpg

Your truck
http://www.thehumorsource.com/pictures/1182.jpg

HAHAHA

Owned

In response to finboy, I always thought the saturn was a better handler. Different magazines, different reviews.

finboy
09-28-2004, 12:27 PM

HAHAHA

Owned

In response to finboy, I always thought the saturn was a better handler. Different magazines, different reviews.

they said the ion's long wheel base and 4X4 stance really hurt it in the handling department

QuasarCav
09-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Ahh I never thought of it that way, Maybe they were saying it was more comfortable where the SRT is tuned for stiffer shocks. I've ridden in a SRT and it wasn't bone jarring but you could feel every tar strip and bump.

But my vote still goes for the Neon. Over 260ft/lbs torque makes me drool. Not to mention MOPAR upgrades and a damn cute front end
;)

Cypresskilla
09-28-2004, 12:38 PM

:drama: man you don't belong in this discussion, why don't you just go shot some beer cans and go and relax in trailer, if anr redneck whitetrash talk comes up i'll let you know:poosie:

Cypresskilla
09-28-2004, 12:43 PM

Hey zero first off i could buy and sell your poor ass and your families. Second if your bring Kia in this then u probably can't even afford a scooter, and you talk about a decent car after talking about a kia, man you don't know your ass from a canoe:thumbsup:

Cypresskilla
09-28-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by ACX
well, you'll need winter tires on both. I doubt you'll blow the turbo up, let it cool and you'll be fine. The motor is plenty beefy. No major issues with them, or the PT turbo (basically the same motor).

http://www.edmunds.com/media/2003/newyork/04.saturn.ion.redline/04.saturn.ion.redline.r34.500.jpg
http://www.qnet.com/~gladdly/Neon2003014ca.jpg

I wouldn't call either overly aggressive, or any sport compact for that matter.

Hey acx don't you own an srt-4:werd:

ACX
09-28-2004, 01:08 PM
sure do dude. A silver one.. I don't think it's all that aggressive looking though.. Take a redline for a test drive and we'll do a comparo..

:clap:

QuasarCav
09-28-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by ACX
sure do dude. A silver one.. I don't think it's all that aggressive looking though.. Take a redline for a test drive and we'll do a comparo..

:clap:

I would say it's pretty agressive. A regular SX(neon) looks like a pussycat compared to a SRT.

Do you do any shopping around before you bought it?

ACX
09-28-2004, 02:20 PM

I would say it's pretty agressive. A regular SX(neon) looks like a pussycat compared to a SRT.

Do you do any shopping around before you bought it?

Indeed, I like how it looks, but I'm not one to parade that around, all subjective I guess.

Shopping aroung. No. I had been following the car since it was a concept, and had a supercharger. I'm not a sport compact guy by nature at all, at the time I had a 2000 Mustang GT, bolted on. I knew the SRT would basically own for off the shelf performance, and thought it would be fun.

I was (and still am) in the market for a Cobra mustang, however then I was travelling and now, for the time, I have an Acura TL as well so buying a 47000 car to drive only a few times a week is not something I'm into.

When I bought it last year, there were none to be found - I knew I'd need to get one from production. I went to 3 dealers..

Crowfoot dodge: the guy told me he would give me a smoking deal, 30 grand plus taxes, etc, and he'd take my stang off me, despite the fact that it needed work (the car was beyond immaculate). I walked.

Varsity Chrysler: I left when the guy there told me it would run 11s in the QM.

Renfrew Chrysler: I rolled up, talked with the salesman for 10 minutes, and had a silver one on order.

16,000kms, no issues besides plenty of fun. Cheap parts from great dealers and yeah, that's that.

TypeS
09-28-2004, 04:11 PM
you got my vote for the SRT-4, rode in one once and wanted more ever since!

SkylineAdmirer
09-28-2004, 06:57 PM
I d have to say i dont like saturns, and dont buy an srt-4, was too lazy to read the hole thread, but i subscribe to Sport Compact Car and they have a Project Focus running 8.5psi of boost as opposed to the SRT-4's 15psi. SRT-4 has a big 2.4 litres , and focus has 2 litres. I'll give u the details of what they did to it for that power by the way it got up to 245 hp, 223lb-ft torque. by the way the price after all this was 24,053, of course SRT-4 is cheaper at 20,995, these are in american dollars i think. Just maybe something to dwell on.

JCX
09-28-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by SkylineAdmirer
I d have to say i dont like saturns, and dont buy an srt-4, was too lazy to read the hole thread, but i subscribe to Sport Compact Car and they have a Project Focus running 8.5psi of boost as opposed to the SRT-4's 15psi. SRT-4 has a big 2.4 litres , and focus has 2 litres. I'll give u the details of what they did to it for that power by the way it got up to 245 hp, 223lb-ft torque. by the way the price after all this was 24,053, of course SRT-4 is cheaper at 20,995, these are in american dollars i think. Just maybe something to dwell on.

You are a complete RICETARD. Read the article again, AFTER you take a lesson on how a motor works.

The SRT-4 has 8:1 compression, the SVT Focus has what 10:1? Do you understand how compression affects the amount of power an engine makes?
The SRT-4 has a tiny turbo, their SVT Focus has a larger one. Do you understand the difference between VOLUME and PSI?
The SRT-4 makes A LOT more torque, the SVT motor revs higher, thus more horsepower. You understand the relationship between horsepower and RPM don't you?
The SRT-4 has a GODDAMN WARRANTY, a self built turbo SVT Focus does not.
The SRT-4 is still sold. The SVT Focus is not.

I'm not by nature an asshole so sorry if I sound like one, but you are SO DAMN MISGUIDED it's not even funny. Maybe you should put you SCC magazine down and read an introductory engine design booklet. Then you can understand WHY THINGS are the way they are.

Thanks for your insight though. :thumbsup:

BTW, neither car is perfect. I'd take the SRT-4 anytime.

ACX
09-29-2004, 08:24 AM

well, JCX did a pretty good job of owning you, we'll recap, my 250whp and 280wtq with the remainder of a 7 year warranty with a grand canadian in mods > Ticking timebomb of that extinct focus

ex1z7
09-29-2004, 09:01 AM

Perhaps its just the fact I'm fucking tired and misunderstood something but....What are you trying to say here? Buy a Focus, turbocharge it, spend MORE money on it then on the Neon, have LESS horsepower, LESS boost, SMALLER engine and NO warranty ?

Where did you go to school? :dunno: :confused:

finboy
09-29-2004, 09:17 AM

i've been trying to avoid saying it for the last couple days, but you REALLY don't know what you are talking about.

SkylineAdmirer
09-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Yea sorry for that post... wasnt in the right uhh how do i say this, state of mind when i rote it, and yes its totally fucked in many ways.:D

finboy
09-29-2004, 05:03 PM
how old are you?

SkylineAdmirer
09-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Is there a set age to get stoned or something?

ACX
09-29-2004, 05:42 PM
ACX.. is that actually you and your friends in your sig?
shit no dude, I'm 30 :cry:

I found the pic somewhere and after laughing my ass off, pinched it..
:thumbsup: :rofl:

zer0
09-29-2004, 05:43 PM
lol ok i was going to have make fun of you

finboy
09-29-2004, 06:13 PM
Is there a set age to get stoned or something?

trying to explain your reasoning, how old?

Phuqu
09-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by ACX

shit no dude, I'm 30 :cry:

Tell him the truth.

He's 19. And about 290.

ACX
09-30-2004, 08:30 AM
Bs I'm 30 and 200...

:poosie:

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/234/flipoff2.jpg

:rofl:

Phuqu
09-30-2004, 08:44 AM
I'm glad you have a Sunroof for that big head of yours. I don't think you would fit in the Dedline.

SkylineAdmirer
09-30-2004, 02:35 PM
Almost 16, and no i wasnt lying, i was high, weed explains my reasoning dude.

QuasarCav
09-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Almost 16, and no i wasnt lying, i was high, weed explains my reasoning dude.

It's okay officer, I was high.

Thats a good plan buddy, stick to that and you'll be running the local A&W in no time.

SkylineAdmirer
09-30-2004, 03:05 PM
hahah dude ive got like a 90 average, im not planning at ever working at an a&w fer a career, i do weed occasionally, man its addictive in the same way as mastarbation...lolz yea stupid statement my frend made, funny as hell at the time.

ACX
09-30-2004, 03:28 PM
Dude you may as well drop it, as you hit rock bottom, and start digging.

SkylineAdmirer
09-30-2004, 03:31 PM
^^^ yea wuz bout 2 just gettin sum facts straight,(the fac ti aint aa stoner)

JCX
09-30-2004, 03:32 PM
Seriously dude. You have a 90 average and can't spell or write? Please just quit while you're behind. Let's let it end.

This was probably the first civil SRT-4 post (LOL) and it degraded into a dog and pony show.

SkylineAdmirer
09-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Fine,fine, someone please just close this thread:) Spelt well enough for you?:)

finboy
09-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Almost 16

and how did i know that?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ACX
09-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by JCX
This was probably the first civil SRT-4 post (LOL) and it degraded into a dog and pony show.

GT2NV
09-30-2004, 04:06 PM
if you ride in an srt4 your gonna want one, i hated them until i sat in one and went for a little drive:burnout: :drool:

finboy
09-30-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by black94gt
if you ride in an srt4 your gonna want one, i hated them until i sat in one and went for a little drive:burnout: :drool:

they aren't bad but the NEED a bigger turbo.

nothing a hybrid and new exhaust manifold wouldn't fix :burnout:

zer0
09-30-2004, 07:28 PM
lol acx your car really is ugly.. loose the spoiler at least

Phuqu
09-30-2004, 08:42 PM
Lose it or just loosen it? Wouldn't it rattle if it was loose?:english:

JCX
09-30-2004, 10:49 PM
lol acx your car really is ugly.. loose the spoiler at least

You're entitled to your opinion there Spelling-Bee, that's the beauty of living in a free country.

The SRT-4's look bad, IMO, without the spoiler. It balances out the front end. It looks a bit odd initially perhaps, but after not to long it really becomes part of the car.

ex1z7
10-01-2004, 08:50 AM
The spoiler flows with the round-ness of the SRT-4, Without it, I agree with JCX, the car would look screwed up. If you don't like the spoiler, go buy an SRT-4 and remove it and claim it as a unique idea.

I'd say STR-4 over Redline due to the fact I'm sure the Neon has more aftermarket support, and IMO more tunability for more power.

My 2 cents >_<

hampstor
10-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Having test driven an SRT-4 (if only i didn't take such a hit selling my spec v... ) i can say that the car handles exceptionally well and the power is actually very linear (despite being turbocharged).

in it's price class, the SRT4 is the best performance car money can buy! The best part is that some of the mopar upgrades give you more power and maintain warranty :D

iced_out_00
10-05-2004, 09:38 PM
Or u cud buy the SRT-6 Crossfire and juss end this argument?

I work up at Eastside Dodge and man the SRT's are amazing. I haven't been able to drive the Saturn but from what i've got the SRT up 2 just going up the tim hortons beside Eastside i'd go wit that. (Juss figured out customers watch u as u do a "Peace of Mind" inspection on thir SRT-4's) :rolleyes:

snipa_mini85
10-05-2004, 09:51 PM
^^^^^ Why stop at the SRT-6, jus go straight to the SRT-8.

Definately go for the single digit gas mileage:D :D :D :D :D

turbojohngt
10-14-2004, 07:09 PM
Don't be a dummy,srt-4 hands down:burnout:

PhatGT
10-14-2004, 09:06 PM
i drive a pt-gt(same motor) i have a boost controller, cold air intake, stage 1 srt, bov, & dual cat back. 5.0 & Z28's are cake W/ cash minamal, go for the srt-4

PhatGT
10-14-2004, 09:11 PM
I forot the hansracecraft f/m intercoller

SwitchBlade
10-29-2004, 07:06 AM
Srt-4 the Saturn will be a bore:zzz:

googe
10-29-2004, 09:38 AM
LOL u r so dum, dood u cud buy a sweet civic, sum rims n a turbo kit for that price n u cud blow the doors off ne neon!! or better y dont u just buy a viper srt-10!!

this thread is kind of old though, you probably didnt need to bump it. too bad i missed it earlier, hilarious

adrianracer
11-02-2004, 11:24 PM
hahah dude ive got like a 90 average, im not planning at ever working at an a&amp;w fer a career, i do weed occasionally, man its addictive in the same way as mastarbation...lolz yea stupid statement my frend made, funny as hell at the time.

How in the hell do you get 90's with spelling and grammer skills like that. Your paragraph has 11 mistakes in it? Dumb ass. :english:

adrianracer
11-02-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by googe
LOL u r so dum, dood u cud buy a sweet civic, sum rims n a turbo kit for that price n u cud blow the doors off ne neon!! or better y dont u just buy a viper srt-10!!

this thread is kind of old though, you probably didnt need to bump it. too bad i missed it earlier, hilarious

That Civic would blow the doors off your Impressa too! and BTW it's a 2.0SX?

SkylineAdmirer
11-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by adrianracer

How in the hell do you get 90's with spelling and grammer skills like that. Your paragraph has 11 mistakes in it? Dumb ass. :english:

As I stated before I do not try to spell and use proper grammar on the internet, in case you have not noticed not many people do.
And welcome to the thread from 10 million years ago.:whocares: :devil:

finboy
11-03-2004, 03:15 PM

As I stated before I do not try to spell and use proper grammar on the internet, in case you have not noticed not many people do.
And welcome to the thread from 10 million years ago.:whocares: :devil: actually its only a week or so old so its pretty recent

canadiandaytona
11-03-2004, 03:46 PM
Doen't worry he was high when he said that so thats why he said it:rofl:

Inzane
11-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Can I ask a stupid question that I don't think has been asked in this thread yet? Which is... why are you limiting yourself to only two choices in this new car purchase of yours?

Is that because you're only interested in a compact w/ forced induction, or what?

Other choices (for less $):
- Mazda 3
- Spec-V
- Ralliart
etc.

(more $)
- WRX
- RSX Type S
etc.

:dunno:

SkylineAdmirer
11-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by finboy
actually its only a week or so old so its pretty recent

it started 09-27-2004 ..... thats really fucking old, it was dead but it keeps getting revived, for what reason? i cant think of 1

SUPRAPHAT
11-03-2004, 04:21 PM

it started 09-27-2004 ..... thats really fucking old, it was dead but it keeps getting revived, for what reason? i cant think of 1

Well we were having a discussion about buying a new car but it kinda went off course when a few mis-informed people started posting, including yourself.

Jason

SUPRAPHAT
11-03-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Inzane
Can I ask a stupid question that I don't think has been asked in this thread yet? Which is... why are you limiting yourself to only two choices in this new car purchase of yours?

Is that because you're only interested in a compact w/ forced induction, or what?

Other choices (for less $):
- Mazda 3
- Spec-V
- Ralliart
etc.

(more $)
- WRX
- RSX Type S
etc.

:dunno:

The reason he would has narrowed down to the 2 is cause the car's you listed are basically all show. Not much "go" involved with those cars.

Forced induction is where it's at power wise. If you want something really fast, your best solution is turbo.

It's just too bad that they made the neon a 4 cylinder. And it's also too bad that the neon runs such high boost stock, if they just had of went with a bigger turbo and just dropped the stock boost a bit then there would be more potential with this motor.

Oh well, Steve, get the Neon and have a couple grand set aside and have some fun with the car.

Jason

ACX
11-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Are you saying they should have put a v6 in it (srt4)?

Dropping the stock boost and putting a bigger hairdryer would have shot the cost up. Stock boots comes in at 14-15psi, with guys running as high as 20. Stage 2 will peg the boost gauge (20).

They have stock turboed cars throwing 300+hp (and well over 300 Tq to the wheels).

Many others in the 270-29X range with way more tq to match.

It is a perilously small turbo, but there are smaller ones..

Mopar's stage 3 drops soon. That will be anywhere from 330-370 to the wheels depending on gas. More tq on both counts.

For me it was a great off the shelf performer, even better with a few mods.

*P.S. It's the thread that never ends :rofl::rofl:*

finboy
11-03-2004, 05:52 PM

how about for the reason that it stops n00b's from starting the exact same thread 5 times over

SUPRAPHAT
11-03-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by ACX
Are you saying they should have put a v6 in it (srt4)?

Dropping the stock boost and putting a bigger hairdryer would have shot the cost up. Stock boots comes in at 14-15psi, with guys running as high as 20. Stage 2 will peg the boost gauge (20).

They have stock turboed cars throwing 300+hp (and well over 300 Tq to the wheels).

Many others in the 270-29X range with way more tq to match.

It is a perilously small turbo, but there are smaller ones..

Mopar's stage 3 drops soon. That will be anywhere from 330-370 to the wheels depending on gas. More tq on both counts.

For me it was a great off the shelf performer, even better with a few mods.

*P.S. It's the thread that never ends :rofl::rofl:*

Yeah I think they should have put an inline 6 in it. Just iamgine the power this thing could push and being a new car, it would probably be reliable as an everyday driver.

I think the STR-4 does have balls but there is not a huge margin for improvement on the stock turbo due to the fact that it is already pushing 15 psi.

If they used a bigger turbo and just dropped the stock boost down to say 7-8 psi then you could always just up the boost with the appropriate mods and then you wouldn't have to touch the turbo till you were really ready to step up the plate and put some big numbers down.

Jason

adrianracer
11-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by SUPRAPHAT

Yeah I think they should have put an inline 6 in it. Just iamgine the power this thing could push and being a new car, it would probably be reliable as an everyday driver.

I think the STR-4 does have balls but there is not a huge margin for improvement on the stock turbo due to the fact that it is already pushing 15 psi.

If they used a bigger turbo and just dropped the stock boost down to say 7-8 psi then you could always just up the boost with the appropriate mods and then you wouldn't have to touch the turbo till you were really ready to step up the plate and put some big numbers down.

Jason

I am always amazed by how it is never enough power... I have raced high horsepower cars for 17 years and the SRT-4 has lots of power for a FWD street car right out of the box, I wonder if anyone is really using the car to it's potential or is it an ego thing to have 400 hp and bigger this, bigger that? and then when it breaks we all bitch and complain??

adrianracer
11-03-2004, 06:31 PM

Huh, das is da dumb ass fom attawa dat lazi lik politician, it weally anoying try to reed you sitty engli?

ACX
11-03-2004, 07:25 PM

Jason

Well I agree in some ways but disagree in others

THe SRT4 was based really on 3 tenets:

*Cheap
*NIce useable Power
*Safe Power

The Cheap part some in here:

Use existing Neon platform as a starting point
Use the 2.4L they had (but build it up).
Turbo wastegate and manifold all integrated

Nice useable Power:

Low compression, high boost, small turbo spools up quick giving you a nice wide power band.

Safe Power:

Tune it conservatively, with a pig rich A/F, keep a lock on the high end with a knock sensor and a PCM that will pull timing in a hearbeat if it senses something is up.
Beef the motor.
Provide a tough tranny.

So bean counter engineering made a fast relatively cheap car that wion't break on you.

I've driven mine for a year, really driven the shit out of it with no issues. There is nothing unreliable about it.

For power levels it sets the bar so high compared to most sport sompacts that it doesn't per say Need to be that upgradeable.

However...

With Mopar parts you can make the thing go like hell, and many other aftermarket vendors provide nice options for mad power.

I got 234/260 stock which is pretty good. With a modicum of mods, I'm rolling 251/280 with a nice tq curve..

I could get it up to 270-290/300-330 with ease with the stock turbo.

From way on page 1 :rofl:
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/234/stage_1_vs_ex.jpg

THis car is not for everyone, but for my purposes it is fun as hell, and as it sits with really just a new PCM and catback, it's pretty fun..

SUPRAPHAT
11-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by adrianracer

I am always amazed by how it is never enough power... I have raced high horsepower cars for 17 years and the SRT-4 has lots of power for a FWD street car right out of the box, I wonder if anyone is really using the car to it's potential or is it an ego thing to have 400 hp and bigger this, bigger that? and then when it breaks we all bitch and complain??

I'm not saying that it doesn't have lots of power. Compared to all the piece of shit new cars that are out, it is probably one of the top cars for power and cost.

But I'm saying that they built the car for the people that are interested in modding their cars. And for people that have modded cars before you notice little things that you wish they would have done differently.

And if you do things right, it won't break.

Jason

Inzane
11-04-2004, 01:12 PM

Compared to all the piece of shit new cars that are out,

That depends on what your definition of "piece of shit" really is.

SUPRAPHAT
11-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

That depends on what your definition of &quot;piece of shit&quot; really is.

I'm talking almost everything under $65,000.

Most new cars have no balls, ugly shape and are over priced.

Jason

googe
11-04-2004, 01:45 PM
You cant just say its shitty because you dont think it has much potential to be taken higher. If they put a big turbo on it and underutilizied it, theyd get criticised for sizing it poorly.

As for saying they should have added more power or put a bigger engine in it, well, you cant just change 1 thing and sell it as a higher horsepower car. They dont want a mass-produced car to have problems because of course it willl look bad on their build quality as well as cost them a lot of money in claims. When a manufacturer adds more power, the cost of everything essentially goes up. How many parts can only tolerate a certain amount of power or torque? You need better clutches, transmissions, hell just about everything in the drivetrain becomes a weak link past a certain point. They have to use parts that are tolerant of a certain level above what a stock car should ever see.

Selling it the way they did is what allows them to offer such a good package for the price to begin with.

Phuqu
11-04-2004, 01:46 PM

Yeah I think they should have put an inline 6 in it.
Jason

And just where would you put it??

voodoo
11-04-2004, 02:30 PM
well to add my 2 cents. i would choose the SRT over the redline...

BTW here is my car and dyno numbers.... ill try host the graph. (this was with some bad gas in the car)

stock
239hp and 256tq
stage 1 and borla catback
239hp and 271tq
here is the dyno vid
http://www.uniquevisions.ca/Video/paul.wmv

best time stock was 14.01@9pmph,
with stage 1 13.82@102mph.

http://www.clearlinegraphics.com/srts-admin/pictures/104_0411.JPG

and the eyelids (pics bad, it was with my camera phone)
http://mytm2.internetimagingnetwork.com/getImage?pid=ph1118716000457&size=IMAGE_RES_4&e=ec1v13202800252d72259&m=72259

yes i know i need to lower it. its on the list of things to do this winter.

Euro_Trash
11-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Now for my .02: yes they are both good deals hp/$, and have good power or whatever, but wither way you're still driving either a neon or a saturn

CanadianR
11-04-2004, 03:05 PM

Jason

Obviously you don't have much knowledge when it comes to vehicle dynamics. Why the hell should they put a straight-six with a bigger turbo in a fwd srt? So it could have mad Mk IV Supra power and potential, yo? So you're saying that the 300 whp and even more torque that can be gotten out of the stock turbo isn't enough? Have you ever driven a 300fwhp car before? Obviously not, cause if you had you'd know that that's about the practical limit for power for driving a daily driven fwd car. I haven't driven one myself but i know enough to know that you can only get so much power down on a car where the driving wheels are also being asked to steer the car. Yes, a drag racer can utilize alot more, but we're talking about a street driven car here, one that needs to be cheap and reliable first and foremost and fast and fun, only once the first two have been met. This car will presumeably also be driven in the winter. 250-300 whp is more than enough to build a potent fwd track machine or street machine. If you want to build a drag racer, then over 300whp is desireable, but what company is going to build a car just for drag racers? (especially for 27k)

As for the choice between the SRT-4 and Redline, i'd choose the SRT-4 over the Redline even if the Saturn was 5k < Srt4. The SRT_4 has more tuning potential, way more torque, and is a decent handler out of the box. If you want excellent handling out of it though, be prepared to pay through the nose, as the chassis just wasn't designed to be a corner-carving demon and you'll have to upgrade almost everything. The Redline has poor gearing, poor handling, and alot less torque and power potential than the SRT-4. In SCC's review they actually said the Recaro seats were probably the best thing about the car and they were definately somewhat disappointed by it. I also prefer the styling of the Neon better than the Saturn. Just my $0.02.

ACX
11-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
Now for my .02: yes they are both good deals hp/$, and have good power or whatever, but wither way you're still driving either a neon or a saturn

Most of us SRT owners are saving our sheckles for a bombed out pieces of shit VW rabbit diesel for those special nights out when you want to bling and be seen..

Pot, meet the Kettle..

adrianracer
11-04-2004, 06:46 PM

I'm not saying that it doesn't have lots of power. Compared to all the piece of shit new cars that are out, it is probably one of the top cars for power and cost.

But I'm saying that they built the car for the people that are interested in modding their cars. And for people that have modded cars before you notice little things that you wish they would have done differently.

And if you do things right, it won't break.

Jason
Ok, why don't you tell us how to do it right?

adrianracer
11-04-2004, 06:54 PM

Great, don't post anymore if this post is so old and you don't give a -----------, your posts are too hard to read and are a waste of time anyway. :guns:

cookbob
11-04-2004, 08:06 PM
what do the redlines put down on a dyno or 1/4 mile times?

GoChris
11-04-2004, 09:11 PM
im curious what people think they did wrong with the srt4, i might get one this month

Euro_Trash
11-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by ACX

Most of us SRT owners are saving our sheckles for a bombed out pieces of shit VW rabbit diesel for those special nights out when you want to bling and be seen..

Pot, meet the Kettle..

I love people like you... assuming the rabbit is a diesel when really its not (might want to get your facts striaght beofre trying to "own" someone), and skipping the fact that my daily driver is a corrado. <sigh> By the way the rabbit is in the middle of being stripped for a motor swap, basically a race car project car. Maybe I should sell it and get a neon for my project.... oh wait, its a neon

Oh and I love the idea of a "JDM spec SRT".. reminds me of those JDM spec mustangs and firebirds and 'cudas

ACX
11-05-2004, 09:39 AM

I love people like you... assuming the rabbit is a diesel when really its not (might want to get your facts striaght beofre trying to &quot;own&quot; someone), and skipping the fact that my daily driver is a corrado. &lt;sigh&gt; By the way the rabbit is in the middle of being stripped for a motor swap, basically a race car project car. Maybe I should sell it and get a neon for my project.... oh wait, its a neon

Oh and I love the idea of a &quot;JDM spec SRT&quot;.. reminds me of those JDM spec mustangs and firebirds and 'cudas

no id didn't assume it was a diesel, that is just my dream ride.

People in glass houses eh??? That is the point..

As for your daily driver, whatever man. Congrats. I wish I could track one of those down too.... my daily driver is a 2003 Acura TL..

Cookbob, As stated on another forum, I understand redlines can dyno in the 195-210 range, but torque is not their strong point. QM at sea level, they are low 15 second cars as I recall...

ACX
11-05-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by rlde.us
im curious what people think they did wrong with the srt4, i might get one this month
Mines out for a little while yet... PM me if you want to arrange a test drive.

:burnout: :rofl:

voodoo
11-05-2004, 09:46 AM
yeh i still got mine out.
i havnt had any problems or concerns with it yet, and im about to hit 10K

Euro_Trash
11-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by ACX

no id didn't assume it was a diesel, that is just my dream ride.

People in glass houses eh??? That is the point..

As for your daily driver, whatever man. Congrats. I wish I could track one of those down too.... my daily driver is a 2003 Acura TL..

Cookbob, As stated on another forum, I understand redlines can dyno in the 195-210 range, but torque is not their strong point. QM at sea level, they are low 15 second cars as I recall...

Cool Im not even old enough to drink yet, we'll talk about my daily driver when Im your age and finished my chemical engineering (oil sands) degree

Aleks
11-05-2004, 11:39 AM
How much are you looking to make with your degree in Calgary per year first year out of school? Are you willing to live in Ft. Mac?

ACX
11-05-2004, 11:41 AM

Cool Im not even old enough to drink yet, we'll talk about my daily driver when Im your age and finished my chemical engineering (oil sands) degree

good deal. :thumbsup:

I'm not trying to own you per say. The issue is, saying it's "still neon or saturn" whilst not owning anything particularly breathtaking is somewhat amusing..:zzz:

Euro_Trash
11-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
How much are you looking to make with your degree in Calgary per year first year out of school? Are you willing to live in Ft. Mac?

Im up at the U of A actually, and yea I don't wouldn't working in fort mac actually. Gotta start somewhere... I went to a seminar on tuesday and supposably chemies make an average of 50+ first year, thats through co-op though, which Im taking.

bspot
11-05-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by cookbob
what do the redlines put down on a dyno or 1/4 mile times?

1/4 mile: 14.5 stock

Dyno: between 195 and 210 whp, something like 170 tq. Not as sure on the tq though.