PDA

View Full Version : Will City of Calgary pay for my Damage to my car?

j0nblayz
09-27-2004, 02:52 PM
hey guys, just wondering, could i claim bent rims to city of calgary adjusters if was due to construction on the road? right between canyon meadows and avenida on northbound, theres a bridge where there was a huge bump on the bridge, been driving on it almost everyday, and i noticed theres lots of vibration in my steering wheel, so i got my wheels balanced again and found out all 4 of my rims are bent. The problem is they are now working on that bridge so the bump is not as bad now, and i dont have any proof or pics to prove that it was the cause.. can i still take pics of the bridge and use that as proof? they should have records of the maintenance on the bridge and should know that the bump was huge.. my poor 17's are bent like crazy..

dieselpower91
09-27-2004, 02:59 PM
sorry to say but I am 99.999% sure you are SOL!!!

I know its a shitty, but its true.

SpoonEK9@STRD
09-27-2004, 03:00 PM
My sway bar almost got ripped off on that bump.... only way i can make it over that bump is if i go faster(like jumping it but not)

when i drive slow my car hangs up on it... so stupid! city of calgary should pay for it.. may take a while but they always cave.

note to post above: if you dont try, you wont get it.
A buddy broke his front rim and bumper in a pot hole, they paid for it. Right after he hit the pot hole they filled it, so it seemed like he had no case...

Ben
09-27-2004, 03:18 PM
You're SOL, it is marked construction zone and bump signs all through that area.

j0nblayz
09-27-2004, 03:19 PM
actually there was no signs before, now they have signs and the speed is set at 50km/h, but before there was no construction signs.. i usually hit the bump at slowest speed as i can, but kinda hard to slow down to 10km/h when the guy behind is you is flying, and i try to go on the very left lane since the left lane doesn't seem to be too effected by the bump but its hard to get over the very left when theres lots of traffic..

403Gemini
09-27-2004, 03:25 PM
yea that shits a nasty ass bump

ramminghard
09-27-2004, 03:30 PM
why didn't you slow down? I go over that ever day along with a lot of other people. i have yet to have a problem. i crawl over it on my bike. NOt only that but it is clearly marked. If you see one of those signs taht means bump in hte road then slow down. I hope the city doesn't pay for your rims because its your own fault.

j0nblayz
09-27-2004, 03:52 PM
actually i do slow down as much as i can, i didn't think it would cause damage to my rims at the rate i was going, anyways i talked to city of calgary claims, the adjuster i was talking to said he drives over that bump everyday to work too, and he's rolling on some 17's too, and says sometimes he halts to a full stop before the bump and i should do the same, so another words its my fault that i didn't fully stop before the bump, i didn't really feel like arguin with him since he says he fully stops so i should fully stop too, so watch out if yer behind me next time, i'll take his word and do a full stop before the bump. But its honestly hard to do a full stop or to even slow down to 10km when the guy behind you is doin like 70km/h behind yer ass. well hope no one hits me, i'm seriously gonna stop or do like 5 km/h over that bump from now on...

T5Bird
09-27-2004, 08:55 PM
I would say that there is zero chance that you will get anything unless the 17's and lo-pro tires came factory on your car. Not to mention having lot's of photo and witness evidence.

cloud7
09-27-2004, 09:34 PM
well, it is worth calling the City's claims department but don't expect anything.

my friend's dad ran over a pot hole last winter and got 2 flat tires from it... he pulled in a nearby parking lot because he knew he got a couple of flats... there were already a tow truck there helping 2 cars change tires... and while waiting for help, another 2 cars pulled in to the parking lot with flats...

This happened last winter and he haven't heard any thing from the City.

88CRX
09-27-2004, 09:49 PM
its been fixed now... sorta... not as bad of a bump but yes, it was unbearable before :thumbsdow

ramminghard
09-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by j0nblayz
actually i do slow down as much as i can, i didn't think it would cause damage to my rims at the rate i was going, anyways i talked to city of calgary claims, the adjuster i was talking to said he drives over that bump everyday to work too, and he's rolling on some 17's too, and says sometimes he halts to a full stop before the bump and i should do the same, so another words its my fault that i didn't fully stop before the bump, i didn't really feel like arguin with him since he says he fully stops so i should fully stop too, so watch out if yer behind me next time, i'll take his word and do a full stop before the bump. But its honestly hard to do a full stop or to even slow down to 10km when the guy behind you is doin like 70km/h behind yer ass. well hope no one hits me, i'm seriously gonna stop or do like 5 km/h over that bump from now on...

I worry about getting hit too. I go over it on my motorbike and i stop and walk my bike down and up. I had one guy honk at me but i just stopped and started to get off as he took off in the other lane. It sucks but that is a big bump and thats the only way i have found good to take it. most of it is paved now so it isn't as bad.

j0nblayz
09-27-2004, 09:56 PM
mine are factory 2002 bmw 17's rims style 44's.. but not factory since my car is '94.

BigMass
09-27-2004, 11:57 PM
i feel sorry for those that drive expensive cars in this city. What a mess our roads are in. Like a war zone.

j0nblayz
09-28-2004, 12:36 AM
i guess im gonna have to put my original 15 bottlenecks back till i get this repaired

brncojay
09-28-2004, 12:43 AM
I dont know how it is in Calgary, but here in Pennsylvania, when you write a letter or call the Roads Dept. they are usually pretty good about paying for damages to your car due to potholes and construction and such

NiteRider
09-28-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by brncojay
I dont know how it is in Calgary, but here in Pennsylvania, when you write a letter or call the Roads Dept. they are usually pretty good about paying for damages to your car due to potholes and construction and such

ohh so your american, that explains the ignorance

brncojay
09-28-2004, 01:31 AM

Stop following me, i was helping someone with their problem, STOP FOLLOWING ME

NiteRider
09-28-2004, 01:35 AM
i was just reading, and making a point
see i have an opinion too

brncojay
09-28-2004, 01:38 AM
tell me how did my ignorance show in this thread?

googe
09-28-2004, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by NiteRider

you realize how ignorant that comment itself is? stop talking

'93 SR-V
10-13-2004, 01:17 AM
I'm interested to see if anybody has managed to get money back from the city. I hate that damn bridge. I have to go over those bumps at like 20. It's always fun when a truck comes flying up on you going 80.

I know they have a bump sign up there, but when they were paving anderson I didn't see any signs... $500 in rim repairs later... I hate calgary roads, I've spent over $1000 fixing my 18's in one season... not impressed.

DonJuan
10-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Yes it is possible. when they were paving Crowchild earlier this year a guy in a Spec V made a huge stink about the potruding manholes and no bumps, caution signs etc. They only paid for his repairs recently... eventhough it happened in april.