PDA

View Full Version : i was leading my friend in a street race and all of a sudden i just saw smoke

theone.007
09-28-2004, 12:48 AM
:banghead: well last night my friend challenged me to a street race,and ofcause i could not resist,dont worry it was 11pm so there was no traffic on the road.we lined up at the traffic lights and once the lights turned green i put my foot on the accelerater and let the car rip.my friend had been raving his engine so he started out wit a burnout.i was first to leave the startin line and i smiled as i watched my friends car in my rear view mirror.i had just changed to fourth gear when i heard my friend double clatch.and wit in no second i was lookin at his tail plate number.i dont know why but double clatchin seemed to give him lots of power,up to know i have not been able to do it very well. i dont know wat am doing wrong can any one give me a few tips on how to double clatch the right way...:D

ryder_23
09-28-2004, 12:51 AM
BAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH

you hafta be kiddin me right?

"Granny shifting, not double clutching like you should!!"

too my fast n furious for this young child

NiteRider
09-28-2004, 12:54 AM
shitty owning IMO

SaabKraft
09-28-2004, 01:08 AM
sounds like :bullshit: to me...

double clutching is to

depress the clutch
put in neutral, clutch out, tap gas to raise RPM
clutch in, select lower gear, clutch out

giving the throttle a blip when the clutch is in between shifts is rev matching...

so unless he has no syncros in his transmission or is worried about wearing them down, it's kind of a useless term to use... unless he's driving an old 50's truck :P

why the heck is he downshifting in a straightline race? .... oh, right, the granny shifting. :rolleyes:

7thgenvic
09-28-2004, 01:30 AM
ummmm im 15 can i race you in my moms tercell!!!! my cousin taught me to double CLATCH!!! hahahah,

93PGT
09-28-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by SaabKraft
sounds like :bullshit: to me...

double clutching is to

depress the clutch
put in neutral, clutch out, tap gas to raise RPM
clutch in, select lower gear, clutch out

giving the throttle a blip when the clutch is in between shifts is rev matching...

so unless he has no syncros in his transmission or is worried about wearing them down, it's kind of a useless term to use... unless he's driving an old 50's truck :P

why the heck is he downshifting in a straightline race? .... oh, right, the granny shifting. :rolleyes:

How can people learn to do it so fast? I was driving with black94gt (Matt) and he was doing it damn fast, lol. I've never tried it, and after seeing him doin it I tried it in my Probe and I'm slow at it, lol. Seems really hard to do really fast...too many things at once.

FrostyLight
09-28-2004, 03:01 AM
Here's my take on it...could be wrong but this is what I've been told...

Double Clutching
1) push in the clutch
2) put the stick in neutral, let the clutch out, tap gas to raise RPM
3) clutch in, select higher gear, clutch out

Used for keeping RPM's high while gearing up, keeping the power band high (or constant) while upshifting.
It removes the problem of having the RPM's drop while shifting.

Double De-Clutching
1) push in the clutch
3) clutch in, select lower gear, clutch out

Used for keeping the car from "jerking" when downshifting, getting a smoother downshift.

As for the double-clutching as I defined it, that strategy works only if you have a touchy accelerator for fast responsiveness...
Cars with long gas pedals that dont move the RPM's up as fast will result in lost time, so a very responsive pedal will allow you to double clutch quickly, I think.

Well, I'm not sure how good this info is, so correct me if I'm wrong.

googe
09-28-2004, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by 93PGT

How can people learn to do it so fast? I was driving with black94gt (Matt) and he was doing it damn fast, lol. I've never tried it, and after seeing him doin it I tried it in my Probe and I'm slow at it, lol. Seems really hard to do really fast...too many things at once.

black94gt double clutches? bahahahah! :rofl:

googe
09-28-2004, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by FrostyLight
Here's my take on it...could be wrong but this is what I've been told...

Double Clutching
1) push in the clutch
3) clutch in, select higher gear, clutch out

Used for keeping RPM's high while gearing up, keeping the power band high (or constant) while upshifting.
It removes the problem of having the RPM's drop while shifting.

Double De-Clutching
1) push in the clutch
3) clutch in, select lower gear, clutch out

Used for keeping the car from "jerking" when downshifting, getting a smoother downshift.

As for the double-clutching as I defined it, that strategy works only if you have a touchy accelerator for fast responsiveness...
Cars with long gas pedals that dont move the RPM's up as fast will result in lost time, so a very responsive pedal will allow you to double clutch quickly, I think.

Well, I'm not sure how good this info is, so correct me if I'm wrong.

it is wrong but i dont want to correct it cause its all over these forums, and i bet 3 other people will anyway...search button

FrostyLight
09-28-2004, 04:36 AM
Heh, you say its wrong. Guess I gotta kick the person who told me that info, eh?

I had my suspicions anyway. Thanks for confirming...I think.

googe
09-28-2004, 07:54 AM
actually your steps are right, but the reasons arent. ive heard that misconception before though.

statick
09-28-2004, 08:21 AM
my friends always tellin me to do ure "double de-clutch", acutally make a difference?

Akagi Redsuns
09-28-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by statick
my friends always tellin me to do ure "double de-clutch", acutally make a difference?

Not really, it just speeds up the lay-shaft so the shifts are smoother because the synchros are not being used. You feel the gear shift glide into the gears versus the bit of notchiness.

Just doing the rev-match will make the shift smoother anyways. Double clutching in a modern car is overkill. In the cold cold winters morning I tend to do it because the gears are ultra notchy when it's cold.

cloud7
09-28-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

Double clutching in a modern car is overkill.

but it is good practice for when you are driving a race car :bigpimp:

ryder_23
09-28-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by cloud7

but it is good practice for when you are driving a race car :bigpimp:

why? cause i'm going to drive a car without syncros all the time? :rolleyes:

double clutching doesnt mean your "racing", like said above, it was used before the invention of Syncro's.
You guys have too much FnF in you, it doesnt make you faster, and with an amature behind the wheel doing it, it would most likly end up being seconds slower.

FrostyLight
this double de clutching, a term i havnt heard, but the concept is just "rev matching" you do it when your downshifting, mostly used for race purposes because it gets you in the right gear, at the right revs, without throwing the balance off the car, or lockin up ur wheels. and yes its also way smoother.

sillyd
09-28-2004, 10:19 AM
I'm surprised the "oh no you shouldn't street race" whiners haven't jumped on this yet.

Ryan@DerdallDesigns
09-28-2004, 10:37 AM
Just speed shift the thing. who needs to take their foot off the gas! And you shouldnt need to double clutch on the up shift unless your a slow ass shifter to begin with. youll end up looking at tail lights pretty dam quick when your stumling around all uncowardanated blowing everyshift. Just get a short shift and some heavier shoes.:D

Ryan@DerdallDesigns
09-28-2004, 10:40 AM
and to "theone.007" Your buddy probrably just blew a shift and it just sounded like double clutching.

GT2NV
09-28-2004, 12:04 PM
haha wow that was a funny read:rofl:

JAYMEZ
09-28-2004, 12:15 PM
This thread is gay , your telling a 16 year old how to die faster or fuck up his car more. If you want to learn how to race , go sign up for a course with a professional.

GTS Jeff
09-28-2004, 02:15 PM
theres so much misinformation here, but why bother correcting it all when its been done before and there are going to be more threads like this in the future?

Weapon_R
09-28-2004, 04:17 PM
We live at a time when synchros take out all of the requirements for knowing how to shift. :whocares:

iceburns288
09-28-2004, 04:34 PM
What's a syncro, if you don't mind me asking.