PDA

View Full Version : STi Vs. Camaro :)

hexified
09-28-2004, 11:14 AM
Hey all...thought id share this lol...

Was driving home last friday night on my way back from tim hortons by Mill Woods in Edmonton..and im talking on my cell phone talking to the chick i was just hanging out with while driving my 6 speed tiburon around 12:30am that night...which let me tell you isnt easy.

So while im driving along this guy in a stock camaro matches my speed looks at me..and speeds past me as if to say "youre slow shit"... i laugh because im talking on a cell and cant shift and drive with one hand...so i just shrug it off even though it pissed me off as much as it did.

So we get to the next set of red lights, im behind a truck..the camaro is in a middle lane and a Subaru STi pulls up next to the camaro.

So of course i get excited because im a big import fan and this camaro pissed me off with his cockiness so i want to this this camaro get his ass handed to him.

The light turns green and they both are nose and nose from the start..about 3 seconds later the STi is LONG GONE....the camaro couldnt even touch it... i was laughing so hard ..it was fantastic..

of course after that...i ended my conversation with the girl..and sped up to catch up to the camaro..needless to say he wasnt so cocky now...and he started to drive like a normal human being...wouldnt even look at me lol!!

ACX
09-28-2004, 11:56 AM
sounds like a wack race, sounds like you should have concentrated on your phone conversation. . the STi should have obliterated him from the start, and what kind of camaro was it? From a rolling start if it were ans ls1 it would not be left in the dust unless the sti went for bear. We know that it absolutely was stock, but what kind of mullet mobile?. :rofl:

GT2NV
09-28-2004, 12:17 PM
the sti definatly should have taken him off the launch. sti's are crazy fast for a stock car:thumbsup:

JAYMEZ
09-28-2004, 12:17 PM
^^ Lol mullet mobile ..:D

benyl
09-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by black94gt
the sti definatly should have taken him off the launch. sti's are crazy fast for a stock car:thumbsup:

They're ok... ;)

sputnik
09-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Probably a V6 Camaro... a stock LS6 Camaro should give a stock STi a good run for its money.

tjtd00
09-28-2004, 01:54 PM
has anyone here driven a real sti????? it would kick the shit out of the camaro. your talkin about a 4-5 sec 60mph to 5 to 6sec....

Scat
09-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by tjtd00
has anyone here driven a real sti????? it would kick the shit out of the camaro. your talkin about a 4-5 sec 60mph to 5 to 6sec....

:werd:

sputnik
09-28-2004, 02:09 PM

A stock LS1 Camaro has a 1/4 time of about 13.500 which is pretty similar to a stock STi. The only difference is the trap time would be a bit quicker for the Camaro, but probably only a few (5-7) mph.

However I would be willing to say that the LS1 has more potential for being able to be modified to make a streetable 10 second car.

JAYMEZ
09-28-2004, 02:13 PM

Ummm maybe you should check mine and Benyls cars that we drive lol

dkny_stylez
09-28-2004, 02:20 PM
camaro ss or sti? which would win!?:burnout:

hexified
09-28-2004, 05:19 PM
camaro was stock...looked to be v8.... the sti had exhaust mods done to it as far as i could tell that was all. they were neck and neck at the start and it was NOT a rolling start. But when the sti's tubro kicked in.. he was GONE:burnout:

statick
09-28-2004, 05:52 PM
interesting story:thumbsup:

googe
09-29-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

However I would be willing to say that the LS1 has more potential for being able to be modified to make a streetable 10 second car.

whoa whoa, so YOURE telling me, that it would be easier to have a 5.7 litre run 10s more reliably than a 2.5 litre?

this mans a genius! who woulda thought :nut:

JAYMEZ
09-29-2004, 01:25 AM
^^^^ LOL omg .... why oh why...:cry:

JCX
09-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by dkny_stylez

It's so hard to say and there are many factors.

ASSUMING equal drivers, my $ is on the SS (if it's an LS1 car) in the 1/4 mile. These cars can and have gone into the 12's stock. Not sure what SS camaros run at Race City. The altitude here will punish the N/A motor much more than a turbo motor. In a short race from a stop, the STi should win. AWD owns the launch. Any way you slice it though, an LS1 car will trap significantly higher than an STi (I consider 7 mph significant).

P.S. To the original poster - do you have a Tuscani? Just curious.

hexified
09-29-2004, 09:28 AM
yup i have a 2004 Yellow Tuscani.....only thing i have done to it so far is the AEM CAI. Definately will be purchasing the RIPPMODS Supercharger when i get the $$$ lol... 300+WHP after that baby is installed :eek: :hitit: then of course have to add the dual catback exhaust, headers, upgraded clutch, flywheel, brakes, tires, etc etc the list goes on... a never ending cycle...

Anyhow, yeah i thought you guys would find that as an interesting story i personally thought it would have been a very close race...but of course i couldnt see if the STi had any other mods besides the exhaust...for all i know he did a shot of NOS and thats why he peeled off so fast lol...

Either way though it pretty much shows to not be cocky just because you think youre fast..because theres always someone faster around the corner to put you in your place :D

benyl
09-29-2004, 09:54 AM
I doubt he had naws... there are so many other things you can do to the car before naws... haha, it was probably stock

JAYMEZ
09-29-2004, 11:29 AM
^^^ hahah ya thats what i was thinkin , probably bone stock , i dont know any STi guys that would touch naws ( its shit anyways). As for the exhaust , do you know what an STi exhaust looks like stock?

ICEBERG
09-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Couple years back i saw a stock SS run 13.09 1/4 at Race City. I dont know if a stock Sti can run low 13's in calgary? I have also seen LS1's at race city stock running 13.9's. But i really like the Sti's. Nice cars.

benyl
09-29-2004, 10:34 PM
that must have been a factory freak... I am not sure that Z06s run that fast here... but I could be wrong.

googe
09-30-2004, 01:41 AM
eh, z06 would kill them both

JCX
09-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by googe
eh, z06 would kill them both

For real. Those cars are no joke in both the go fast or handling dept. It's rare, but they've seen 11's stock. Not bad for rusty pushrods. :nut:

buh_buh
09-30-2004, 12:42 PM
WTF?! Since when did Z06's run 11's stock?:confused:

rage2
09-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by JCX
For real. Those cars are no joke in both the go fast or handling dept. It's rare, but they've seen 11's stock. Not bad for rusty pushrods. :nut:
Downhill?

Z06's barely break into the 12's in Calgary. I've seen mostly low to mid 13s runs for Z06's, and 1 or 2 in the high 12's.

sputnik
09-30-2004, 12:49 PM
they run 12s stock (at sea level)... however getting 11s out of them doesnt take much effort.

Go4Long
09-30-2004, 01:26 PM
I think that(especially in alberta) making a streetable 10 second subaru would be much more doable than a streetable 10 second camaro...then again...snow kinda hurts the traction of a 10 second rear driver:P

DonJuan
09-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
I think that(especially in alberta) making a streetable 10 second subaru would be much more doable than a streetable 10 second camaro...then again...snow kinda hurts the traction of a 10 second rear driver:P
I agree esp for a daily driver. The only prob is the 45g's for an STI instead of the 15-20 for a late model f-body. But if you look at it like spend 50g's have a high 10sec Subie year round (with some nice Nokians), or 35g's and have a 10 sec LS1 from May-Oct.

JAYMEZ
09-30-2004, 04:09 PM
a 10 second subie in winter , buhaha that would be fun on a lake :rofl:

Chester
09-30-2004, 04:38 PM
did the guy driving the camaro look young? like a teenager?

Texas
09-30-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by dkny_stylez

a 345Hp 3200Lb car...or a 305Hp 2900Lb car...with AWD Ive driven an STI, of course they are fast...I have also driven an SS Camaro and from the start, the Camaro would lunch the sti. Ive beaten an STI in my 500, with great ease. People are forgetting (about the launch thing) that there is a V8 that doesnt have to spool up versus a 4 cylinder that has to ( a little bit). Both amazing cars....but I dont give a shit because mine can beat them both.:burnout:

googe
09-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Texas

a 345Hp 3200Lb car...or a 305Hp 2900Lb car...with AWD Ive driven an STI, of course they are fast...I have also driven an SS Camaro and from the start, the Camaro would lunch the sti. Ive beaten an STI in my 500, with great ease. People are forgetting (about the launch thing) that there is a V8 that doesnt have to spool up versus a 4 cylinder that has to ( a little bit). Both amazing cars....but I dont give a shit because mine can beat them both.:burnout:

:bullshit:
sounds like someone is forgetting that AWD doesnt spin out on the street like high powered RWD cars do. even at the track, 60' times are way better on AWD cars...while the v8 might pull ahead afterwards, its certainly not going to have an advantage on the launch :rolleyes:

btw your power numbers and weights are wrong

JCX
09-30-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Downhill?

Z06's barely break into the 12's in Calgary. I've seen mostly low to mid 13s runs for Z06's, and 1 or 2 in the high 12's.

I'm not going to spend all night looking for them, but here's a few.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-162655

As I said, it's not common but it's been done more than once. Not here for certain, but that is not what I said.

Again, the Z06 in a straight line or in a turn is a dangerous animal. However, like all cars, it doesn't drive itself. :devil:

That.Guy.S30
09-30-2004, 07:08 PM
like googe said your numbers are off

benyl
10-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by JCX

I'm not going to spend all night looking for them, but here's a few.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-162655

As I said, it's not common but it's been done more than once. Not here for certain, but that is not what I said.

Again, the Z06 in a straight line or in a turn is a dangerous animal. However, like all cars, it doesn't drive itself. :devil:

Those are some impresive 60ft times for a stock RWD car...

JCX
10-01-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Those are some impresive 60ft times for a stock RWD car...

I would agree, maximum credit to the drivers. You do see fellows in the Viper / Vette / Cobra circles pulling 1.8's and occaisionally a tick better. Not quite as good as you AWD guys, but not too shab ;).