PDA

View Full Version : ae86

redline_13000
11-18-2002, 06:35 PM
hey all..i see that alot of u like this car for some reason...whats so good about it? i dont know anything about it..except that its a toyota..some of u even brag about its drifting ability..can someone explain? thanks:dunno:

buh_buh
11-18-2002, 06:37 PM
everyone just watches initial d too much (is that possible?:D )

D'z Nutz
11-18-2002, 06:47 PM
Hahaha! I asked M68KACIA that question today and he said the same thing! Hahaha!

Mikko
11-18-2002, 07:04 PM
Extremely lightweight, rear wheel drive (two good ingredients for a FUN to drive car). :love:

However, the chassis is loose and slutty. The rear suspension is a live-axle setup (very poor)and forget about crash safety. The former two things makes it feel nervous and twitchy. Just ask Druid on calgaryplanet, he has/had one. thumbsdow

If one is going to get one, I suggest the coupe version over the hatch - it has a more solid chassis. I think the initial-D one was the hatch.

There are people on this board who owns such cars.. lets hear what they have to say.

three.eighteen.
11-18-2002, 07:04 PM
its a pretty revolutionary car...a pioneer in import tuning. some of the magic lies in the cars simple but well sorted chassis, very predictable steering apparently, and on the other hand there is the 4age, a revolutionary high revving DOHC 4-valve/cyl, this perky little engine with the low weight of the car supposedly makes it an awfully thrilling ride even though youre not actually going THAT fast, but who cares because words cannot really describe how fun it is to drive certain cars

Redlyne_mr2
11-18-2002, 07:24 PM
What i love about it is that you can beat on it and it keeps coming back for more. It is incredibly lightweight and the rear wheel drive makes it a blast to throw sideways. They are cheap to buy but still have all the things youd expect in a sports car such as 4 wheel disc brakes, front and rear stabalizer bars. close ratio gears fully adjustable drivers seat with a racing style steerign wheel. I bought the coupe because it is mroe rigid than the hatch and weighs less. The high revving engine also has quite a bit of power and can handle 8 grand revs. Another plus is that its really easy to work on:thumbsup:

redline_13000
11-18-2002, 07:28 PM
damn sounds like a fun car..one of u guys that owns one has to give me a ride see what theyre like

Redlyne_mr2
11-18-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by redline_13000
damn sounds like a fun car..one of u guys that owns one has to give me a ride see what theyre like
ya man ill take you for rip in mine at the next december meet

GTS Jeff
11-18-2002, 08:55 PM
man, just type in ae86 into a search engine and you'll see the 8000000 fan sites..but basically..most ppl have summed it up:

-lightweight
-rwd
-53/47 weight distribution
-the engine is cool...7700rpm redline 1.6l dohc
-close ratio gearing
-4 wheel disc brakes..

and the chassis IS ass (even the coupe)...it becomes apparent during turn in at highway speeds. its for this reason that i will be doing suspension mods first.

oh yea, and its a freaking cult car cuz of initial d ;)

ninjak84
11-18-2002, 11:06 PM
It's the history of the car that makes me a fan.

RickDaTuner
11-19-2002, 10:18 AM
well the haci-roku was the poster child for the Tuner scene back in 86 it was considered at the top its class and many others,
this is what amde drifting into a mainstream thing in japan, the cars great beacuse of all the above mention atributes, but overthere they see it more like the american muscle cars, so much nostalgia good memories of good times
Initial D is just a Byproduct of the Corolla or Panda trueno if you may.

JDMAE86
11-19-2002, 11:04 AM
Dont forget that in the 1987 late model Toyota offered a 2 way LSD for the AE86. The best part of of going sideways.
Just check out WWW.CLUB4AG.COM
In the summer I put an JDM AE92 High compression engine in my AE86 coupe and sold it to SPOONPIMP. I wish I never sold it.

92 Teg-B18A
11-19-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
everyone just watches initial d too much (is that possible?:D )

scarilage! that is so not possible!:rofl:

GTS Jeff
11-19-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by CRVTECT3/T4
Dont forget that in the 1987 late model Toyota offered a 2 way LSD for the AE86. The best part of of going sideways.
Just check out WWW.CLUB4AG.COM
In the summer I put an JDM AE92 High compression engine in my AE86 coupe and sold it to SPOONPIMP. I wish I never sold it. the LSD has been offered with the car right from the beginning in 1985. u can tell if u have an lsd by looking at the serial # and by checking if your spare is fullsized

TheXplosion
11-19-2002, 06:08 PM
i got a ? what is ae86 in the first place.:dunno:

GTS Jeff
11-19-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by TheXplosion
i got a ? what is ae86 in the first place.:dunno: 85-87 Corolla GT-S (USDM)
85-87 Corolla GT (EDM)
84-87 Sprinter Trueno/Levin (JDM)

redline_13000
11-19-2002, 06:13 PM
toyota corolla

GTS Jeff
11-19-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by redline_13000
toyota corolla not any corolla. only the specific models from the years that ive listed above...

most of the other corollas are just stupid.

redline_13000
11-19-2002, 06:23 PM
w/e man..thats all i know about the ae86:rofl:

James
11-19-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
, and on the other hand there is the 4age, a revolutionary high revving DOHC 4-valve/cyl, this perky little engine with the low weight of the car supposedly makes it an awfully thrilling ride even though youre not actually going THAT fast, but who cares because words cannot really describe how fun it is to drive certain cars

very well put!:thumbsup:...The Same Engine is in my MR2, and its so true its a "thrilling ride even though youre not actually going THAT fast" :tongue:

finboy
11-19-2002, 10:00 PM
seems like a nice car.

i think redline mr2 posted a really low white one a little while ago.

what do the hatch's go for usually? :dunno:

finboy
11-19-2002, 10:22 PM
http://members.albertacars.net/redlyne_mr2/Steve_Nakamura_AE86d.jpg

http://members.albertacars.net/redlyne_mr2/machinori86-1.jpg

nice

GTS Jeff
11-20-2002, 12:55 AM
man, i dont the way that one looks at all..

finboy
11-20-2002, 01:08 AM
personal preferance i guess, but i like the lines of it.

Redlyne_mr2
11-20-2002, 01:19 AM
hey jeff do you know how to read the serial number to check for lsd, i have a full size spare but i still dont know what the hell thats supposed to mean

GTS Jeff
11-20-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
hey jeff do you know how to read the serial number to check for lsd, i have a full size spare but i still dont know what the hell thats supposed to mean i dont remember exactly...but i could check

anyway, if u have a full sized spare..then u got an lsd!! cuz only lsd-equipped ae86s had fullsized spares whereas non-lsd ones had donut spares...

its cuz u would bust an lsd if the wheels were turning at a different rate

James
11-20-2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
i dont remember exactly...but i could check

anyway, if u have a full sized spare..then u got an lsd!! cuz only lsd-equipped ae86s had fullsized spares whereas non-lsd ones had donut spares...

its cuz u would bust an lsd if the wheels were turning at a different rate

you never know, a previous owner could have bought the full size spare:dunno: thats how my car has a full size spare.

GTS Jeff
11-20-2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by James

you never know, a previous owner could have bought the full size spare:dunno: thats how my car has a full size spare. what kinda freak would do that tho?!

Redlyne_mr2
11-20-2002, 02:18 AM
what kinda freak would do that tho?!
dude you shoudl have seen the guy who I bought my ae86 from ..he looked like david suzuki on speed

Mikko
11-20-2002, 02:22 AM
The 205 GTi is much more fun! It's smaller (ugh, scary), no servo steering (extremely good feedback), a fair bit lighter and an engine that is a lot like the ol Hachiroku's, high revved. It's just that it feels too unsafe that keeps me a way from it a tad bit. hmmm.

I was just out taking pics. I took one of a black Peugeot 206. Nice coincidence. Here's a very unrevealing picture.

Redlyne_mr2
11-20-2002, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Mikko
The 205 GTi is much more fun! It's smaller (ugh, scary), no servo steering (extremely good feedback), a fair bit lighter and an engine that is a lot like the ol Hachiroku's, high revved. It's just that it feels too unsafe that keeps me a way from it a tad bit. hmmm.

I was just out taking pics. I took one of a black Peugeot 206. Nice coincidence. Here's a very unrevealing picture.
Are those the model of peugots that you see in the wrc...we dont have peugot in north america so i know nothing about them

Mikko
11-20-2002, 02:29 AM
Well they have the same name, and they look kinda the same. The main difference is that the WRC car looks like it has a widebody kit on it and then those massive spoilers at the rear.

Shit, I posted my message in the wrong friggin thread. I was reading about someone wanting a 206 really badly, and I wrote a reply. Copied my reply for pasting later, fixed the pic, looked at some threads, pasted it all in here. HAH. Ironically it fits here too - the 205 GTI is a hell of a lot like the AE86 only it's FWD instead. Both rule in driving fun.

James
11-20-2002, 02:37 AM

dude you shoudl have seen the guy who I bought my ae86 from ..he looked like david suzuki on speed

lol:rofl: just picturing that is hilarious!:D ..the guy I bought my MR2 from was kinda wierd too, meh.

JDMAE86
11-20-2002, 10:35 AM
If you look a the description plate under your hood on the driver's side firewall.
It will say T282 if it says that then it means you DO NOT have LSD
If it says T283 then you have the 85 AE86 LSD which is the the 10 bolt small axle style.
If it says T285 Then you have the 87 AE86 LSD which is the bigger axles and better for drifting.
Just ignore the part that says T50 it just means you have a T box for gearing as in transmisson.
An easier way is to jack up the ass and turn the wheels, if they both turn then there you go.
85 AE86 lsd is only available in th US model not Canada.

hjr
11-20-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by CRVTECT3/T4

So if i were to buy a 85 corolla gt-s in canada, that would not be the AE86???

my second question, does AE86 refer to the LSD, the engine, or the whole package :clap: :clap: :clap:

GTS Jeff
11-20-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by hjr

So if i were to buy a 85 corolla gt-s in canada, that would not be the AE86???

my second question, does AE86 refer to the LSD, the engine, or the whole package :clap: :clap: :clap: ae86 is the chassis code. lsd or not.

Arthur Dent
11-20-2002, 10:20 PM
I want one of these motors for my Spitfire. It would fly in a 1700lb car!

finboy
11-21-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by finboy

what do the hatch's go for usually? :dunno:

Grand Damn
11-21-2002, 11:08 PM
it is a sprinter trueno gt apex 128hp 109ft.lb 1.6l power to weight ratio 7.283....am i right :thumbsup: the engin was called 4a-geu levin was the same car...it was know as ''hatchi-roku''

Redlyne_mr2
11-22-2002, 01:06 PM
i dont know if its my tires or the roads in TO or my car but it sometimes feels llike im driving a 500 hp beast. Ill be in third and downshift to second while flooring it and the tires will just spin and the car will go sideways..so crazy..or when I downshift the tires lock up squeal and the rear end comes out...so much fun but also very dangerous

GTS Jeff
11-22-2002, 01:15 PM
i dont know if its my tires or the roads in TO or my car but it sometimes feels llike im driving a 500 hp beast. Ill be in third and downshift to second while flooring it and the tires will just spin and the car will go sideways..so crazy..or when I downshift the tires lock up squeal and the rear end comes out...so much fun but also very dangerous haha same here....if i drop it from 3000rpm the tail end gives out and im like...oh shit, feel the power.

hey dude, what kinda fuel economy are u getting with your car??? i am getting SHITTY mileage! it works out to about 10km/l...which is awful for a 1.6L...my fuel light comes on at about 350km, even tho it can go until 500km before the tank runs out...

also, do u ever find 5th gear annoying as hell? it sucks that going 120km in 5th leaves the rpms at around 4500

finboy
11-22-2002, 01:59 PM
i dont know if its my tires or the roads in TO or my car but it sometimes feels llike im driving a 500 hp beast. Ill be in third and downshift to second while flooring it and the tires will just spin and the car will go sideways..so crazy..or when I downshift the tires lock up squeal and the rear end comes out...so much fun but also very dangerous

sounds like the perfect winter car :burnout: :thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
11-22-2002, 03:55 PM
haha same here....if i drop it from 3000rpm the tail end gives out and im like...oh shit, feel the power.

hey dude, what kinda fuel economy are u getting with your car??? i am getting SHITTY mileage! it works out to about 10km/l...which is awful for a 1.6L...my fuel light comes on at about 350km, even tho it can go until 500km before the tank runs out...

also, do u ever find 5th gear annoying as hell? it sucks that going 120km in 5th leaves the rpms at around 4500
Im actually getting really good mileage. Around town it sort of sucks but I only use less than a quarter tank for 160kms worth of driivng...I replaced every ignition component though so its running at optimum efficiency. but ya I need to through some bags in my 86 as well

GTS Jeff
11-22-2002, 03:59 PM

Im actually getting really good mileage. Around town it sort of sucks but I only use less than a quarter tank for 160kms worth of driivng...I replaced every ignition component though so its running at optimum efficiency. but ya I need to through some bags in my 86 as well ssshiet. looks like my mod money is going towards fixing the car back up

AutodreamMarvin
11-23-2002, 10:31 PM
mmmm... all this hachi-roku talk is making me feel like a little intial-d!
anyone here from edmonton down for some sideways action?:nut: :nut:

RX-7_TWINTURBO
11-23-2002, 11:19 PM
Anyone here actually know what Hachi roku even means ?

The direct Japanese to english translation is 86

:thumbsup:

hjr
11-24-2002, 01:38 AM

is this true, no limited slip diff. in canada for 85. IE> 85 corolla GT-s

GTS Jeff
11-24-2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by hjr

is this true, no limited slip diff. in canada for 85. IE> 85 corolla GT-s im not sure, however, u can tell if u have an lsd by checking the spare tire. if toyota gave u a fullsized apre, then uve got an lsd, and if you have a donut..then u dont.

i know this from reading my owners manual...canadian 85 gts

redline_13000
11-24-2002, 05:32 AM
damn all this drifting talk about the ae86 makes me want one

4wheeldrift
11-24-2002, 08:19 AM
The fact that they are cheap to buy and repair after the wanna-be drift kings put them sideways into curbs :confused:

thich
11-25-2002, 02:09 PM
let's not forget about supply and demand either...
Initial D is released on US Airwaves this year, so demand will go up and at this current rate, supply of them is diminishing FAST.
So if we can all remember our economics lessons, when demand exceeds supply we get stupid massive price upping!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
:banghead:

Get them when you can before even grannies start asking for $8k for one....... :thumbsdow

szw
11-25-2002, 02:50 PM
Lets start buying them up and reselling them come springtime then!

three.eighteen.
11-25-2002, 03:02 PM
heh i was thinking about buying a trueno, but then i have 2 RWD cars...neither of which i want to be a winter beater or summer car...lol

finboy
11-25-2002, 03:16 PM
damn, i guess their value would go up.

it really does sound like a fun car for around 2 grand.

GTS Jeff
11-25-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by thich
let's not forget about supply and demand either...
Initial D is released on US Airwaves this year, so demand will go up and at this current rate, supply of them is diminishing FAST.
So if we can all remember our economics lessons, when demand exceeds supply we get stupid massive price upping!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
:banghead:

Get them when you can before even grannies start asking for $8k for one....... :thumbsdow i hope that happens! then i can sell this car and buy a crx!!

Redlyne_mr2
11-25-2002, 05:18 PM
The value has already gone up...Jeff and I both got rad deals on our cars but its hard to find one fr under 2500 thats half decent

Sketch
11-25-2002, 09:47 PM
Fucking Initial D, you won't be able to find an AE86, S13 or FC3S after that piece of shit hits stateside. Hopefully it'll bomb and nobody pays attention to it.

GTS Jeff
11-25-2002, 11:35 PM
hahaha, u know how everyone lines up and pays tonsof money to play initial d in the arcades?

i get the real thing whenever i want!! whooo