PDA

View Full Version : Moving air filter off turbo

djfob
09-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Right now my air filter is mounted directly onto the comp housing. It's most likely getting heatsoaked. Would it make any noticable difference moving it to a cooler spot. The charged air is hot either way until it hits the intercooler anyways. Any thoughts?

EK 2.0
09-28-2004, 06:58 PM
its a debate that will have both sides telling you differently...

I say yes it will make a small difference...I mean the air DOES get heated when compressed in yout turbo housing...BUT starting off with a cool a charge as possible...

I can't see that hurting...I know of a lot of Turbo kits that do move the Filter away from the heat of the engine...some even adapt a CAI of sorts...

buh_buh
09-28-2004, 08:26 PM
I think it will.
I used to have my filter right off my turbo too, and I noticed my car wouldn't be as fast after I've been driving around a while. It actually got so hot it melted my filter haha, but after moving it to a better spot, I noticed a pretty big difference in performance after the car had been warmed up. No more heatsoak!

Kor
10-02-2004, 02:47 PM
I have read that if you have a high efficiency intercooler the difference will not be noticable. But if your intercooler sucks, then it will be a bigger deal.

Dick Starbuck
10-03-2004, 10:40 AM
I'd at least have ducting run towards the filter so theres some better air for it to draw from.