PDA

View Full Version : More Wideband Help :)

Weapon_R
09-28-2004, 10:38 PM
Ok, so I have been researching a ton about proper operation of a wideband o2 sensor.

I've found that almost all of them require you to drill a hole and weld a bung to screw it in.

My question is;

Can a wideband be used (temporarily) to tune in place of the stock narrowband?

Also, where can I get a bung from? I've found some for 15.00US online, but damn that is super expensive for something so small.

Dirty_SOHC
09-29-2004, 12:33 AM
mopac has some in stock. I dont remember the price...5-10 bucks

djfob
09-29-2004, 12:38 AM
egmike street tuned mine in place of the narrow o2.........he just diabled o2 and ran closed loop I think.:dunno:

Weapon_R
09-29-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by djfob
egmike street tuned mine in place of the narrow o2.........he just diabled o2 and ran closed loop I think.:dunno:

What fuel setup did you use?

djfob
09-29-2004, 12:49 AM
uberdata:thumbsup:

legendboy
09-29-2004, 08:35 AM
All you need to do is disable closed loop in uberdata and the stock o2 sensor is no longer being used. Its just using values straight off the map. This is how any car should be tuned in the first place. So you can just screw your wb sensor into the stock bung and your good!

You could also rig a tail pipe thingy that you can attach on and tune that way.

THREE40SEVEN
09-30-2004, 02:36 PM
The purpose of the o2 sensor is correct the a/f to as close to stoich (14.64:1) as possible when operating at closed or part throttle. This applies to almost all cars, though i do know that there are a couple newer cars that run closed loop at WOT.
Most tuning software allows the ability to turn off adaptive learning (no readings or corrections learned from the o2's). This is the only way to tune part throttle, as you'll be chasing your tail trying to correct part throttle fuel trims with the o2 sensors correcting a/f's when in closed loop.

Your ecu will have a breakpoint for either load, throttle position or rpm to switch from closed to open loop anyways, so WOT tuning will not be effected with even a bad or missing o2 sensor.... But im sure you'll want to tune more than just full throttle;)

Make sure that if you do remove the o2 that you disconnect the wiring to the sensor as well. Leaving the o2 open to atmospheric air while being connected to the ecu will result in "less than ideal" operation ;)
I would imagine that driving with the WB in the tailpipe would give inaccurate readings due to the possibility of outside air entering the tailpipe at higher speeds. It would depend on how far up the o2 was installed into the tailpipe.
Holley #53449 is the o2 bung you require. So far, it fits every o2 under the sun that i have seen, but some JDM engined integra.
Sorry about the babble....
Matt

legendboy
09-30-2004, 02:53 PM
Turning closed loop off on a honda will also turn off all of the short and long term fuel trims (stft & ltft) which will effect part throttle and full throttle tuning as well.

THREE40SEVEN
09-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
Turning closed loop off on a honda will also turn off all of the short and long term fuel trims (stft & ltft) which will effect part throttle and full throttle tuning as well.
Are you saying that the o2's are used, and a correction is learned at WOT on honda's?

legendboy
09-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Yea, honda's do have fuel correction learned by the ecu via long term o2 feedback for part and wot. But on second thought I'm not sure uberdata has the ability to turn it off via turning closed loop off. I'm not sure..... I'm not even sure if the uberdata guys coded it into the program :rofl:

I know hondata definatly has it built in like stock.

Weapon_R
09-30-2004, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure if I understood you right.

Could you use uberdata to completely tune the fuel maps so that even in idle and partial throttle it would run optimally?

Ashkente
10-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Some of the units I looked at would let you replace your stock O2 sensor with the wideband. They had some sort of narrowband output that you had to splice into your ECU. The only one I remember though is the PLX unit.

skatanic28
10-07-2004, 01:14 AM
i picked up the zeitronix zt-2 over the summer.
http://www.zeitronix.com/theone4.jpg

the sensor fit right where i had my front o2 sensor so no additional bungs were needed. it also simulates a narrowband sensor so you can feed that to the ecu. most of the wb's seem to have that feature nowadays. if you are using it just for tuning you probably dont need the display, so the price isnt too bad either.

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm

legendboy
10-07-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I'm not sure if I understood you right.

Could you use uberdata to completely tune the fuel maps so that even in idle and partial throttle it would run optimally?

Yea man, thats kinda the whole point! :D