PDA

View Full Version : Prelude Turbo Setups

rip
09-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Just wondering what types of turbo setups people are running in their preludes, what they think of them and what recommendations you have in terms of components. I am planning on rebuilding my H22a. I plan on beefing up the internals, and turboing it, and plan to use it as an everyday driver. It is going to be a big job which might take me all winter, but i've ordered my helms manual and will run with it from there.

ryder_23
09-29-2004, 01:12 PM
pm buh_buh he has a turbo setup on his h22a

D-Man
09-29-2004, 01:14 PM
If you plan on rebuilding your H22a, then you will need to break-in the engine before giving it boost.

With regards to the turbo, t3/t4 garret turbo's seem pretty popular. All of the rest of the stuff is pretty much standard such as manifold, intercooler, custom piping, upgraded fuel & iginition items.

You will also need some sort of engine management system and hondata is pretty popular. You will also need to dyno tune the car to achieve the optimum air/fuel ratios.

Good luck with the build and keep us posted on your progress...

finboy
09-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
pm buh_buh he has a turbo setup on his h22a

:werd:

also check with ludelvr, as he put togeather his own turbo set up.

ryder_23
09-29-2004, 01:15 PM
^
ahh yes he did, completly forgot about that ghetto setup :rofl:

rage2
09-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by D-Man
If you plan on rebuilding your H22a, then you will need to break-in the engine before giving it boost.
Why?

boi-alien
09-29-2004, 01:32 PM
talk to buh_buh! he has a very nice turbo h22a setup

legendboy
09-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Why?

haha thats what i was gonna say!

Anyways, I have built 2 turbo prelude setups. PM me when your ready to go and we can talk about the details!.

rip
09-29-2004, 01:53 PM
will do legend boy,
so far all i know is that the block has a hole blown through it and i don't know to what extent the damage is on the internals. The shrapnel blew a piece off of the exterior of the tranny. So who knows what else is F'd in the bottom end.

QuasarCav
09-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by rip
will do legend boy,
so far all i know is that the block has a hole blown through it and i don't know to what extent the damage is on the internals. The shrapnel blew a piece off of the exterior of the tranny. So who knows what else is F'd in the bottom end.

You were the guy that had the motor blow after 30K?

Whats the update on that?

rip
09-29-2004, 02:07 PM
No warranty, i've been fighting for 2 weeks over it. But apparently they had record of aftermarked parts being installed on it. So basicly i took it up the ass dry. I wish they could prove that a CAI was the cause of my engine going at 32000km. Obviously the cause was some type of metallurgical defect of some sort, but they really frown upon aftermaket ad-ons.

JCX
09-29-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by rip
will do legend boy,

You have a physical hole in the block? I'm thinking more than a rebuild is in order. Can you even reuse it? Sleeves? JB Weld?

<----- Don't know shat about Honda blocks.

On one hand it sucks, but on the other hand at least you can put together a built motor to handle some nice boost.:devil:

sabad66
09-29-2004, 02:51 PM
That must be a pain in the ass being stuck without a warranty after only 32 000 clicks.

rip
09-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by JCX

You have a physical hole in the block? I'm thinking more than a rebuild is in order. Can you even reuse it? Sleeves? JB Weld?

&lt;----- Don't know shat about Honda blocks.

On one hand it sucks, but on the other hand at least you can put together a built motor to handle some nice boost.:devil:
Ya i'm going to need a new block, and hopefully by the time i'm done i'll be able to handle da boost. I'm going to build it up, but maybe not slap a turbo on it for a year or two untill i get some coin, i haven't decided yet

JCX
09-29-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by rip

Ya i'm going to need a new block, and hopefully by the time i'm done i'll be able to handle da boost. I'm going to build it up, but maybe not slap a turbo on it for a year or two untill i get some coin, i haven't decided yet

My $0.02. I'm not sure what the Honda boys do, but if it were me I'd build something up with low compression to handle some nice boost. That type of motor won't typically make a decent power without boost. In the long run it's probably cheaper to just do it all while the motor's out of the car. Just my opinion. :bigpimp:

rip
09-29-2004, 03:49 PM
Ya i guess we'll see what happens like i said i'm going to start tearing into it in the near future and i guess we'll see what my wallet permits. My original plan was to do it all at once.

D-Man
09-29-2004, 06:00 PM

Why?

I think most engine builders would recommend that you break-in the newly built engine prior to running large amounts of boost. I'm sure if you're conservative with boost, you should be okay...

But hey, I'm no engine builder nor am I forced induced so what do I know...

LUDELVR
09-29-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
^
ahh yes he did, completly forgot about that ghetto setup :rofl:

wait wait wait!!!

First of all, how the hell did you forget about this master setup!!!

Secondly...there's nothing Ghetto about this setup!! ;) :rofl: :rofl:

Expiredsoda
09-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Do you not to have the H22a block resleeved to get rid of the FRM material? That is if you are going to be using forged pistons anyways, so I am told. The H23 block is most likely a better route for a turbo setup anyhow. You could use your H22a head however.

buh_buh
09-30-2004, 12:37 PM
yes you will have to resleeve to use forged pistons. And the H23 block is not a better route for a turbo setup IMO. They are prone to spun bearings.

rage2
09-30-2004, 12:42 PM
You can make big HP with stock internals anyways. Look at buh_buh's car as a prime example of stock internals, big power, and reliable.

I wouldn't dive straight into building up a car with forged pistons until you find the breaking point of stock internals.

Without proper tuning, even forged internals can go kaboom.

redline
09-30-2004, 12:59 PM
You can make big HP with stock internals anyways. Look at buh_buh's car as a prime example of stock internals, big power, and reliable.

I wouldn't dive straight into building up a car with forged pistons until you find the breaking point of stock internals.

Without proper tuning, even forged internals can go kaboom.

what is he making? :confused:

rage2
09-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by redline
what is he making? :confused:
He put down 293whp on a mustang dyno before he got scared ;).

It's his only car, so I don't think he really wanted to see what the breaking point of the stock internals are haha.

redline
09-30-2004, 01:16 PM

He put down 293whp on a mustang dyno before he got scared ;).

It's his only car, so I don't think he really wanted to see what the breaking point of the stock internals are haha.

i hear yeah only car and breaking thing...

but those are really good numbers for stock engine :thumbsup:

1-Bar
09-30-2004, 01:26 PM
291.2 hp / 213.6 torque :D his exact numbers

rage2
09-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
291.2 hp / 213.6 torque :D his exact numbers
Wow, I'm impressed. You know everything about buh_buh. Lemme ask you, is that a gas station in your sig? :rofl:

Sorry, had to use you to make fun of buh_buh haha.

rip
09-30-2004, 01:46 PM
ok screw the build i'm just going to get this insead

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7924718956&category=33633

shit yeah

redline
09-30-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by rip
ok screw the build i'm just going to get this insead

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;rd=1&amp;item=7924718956&amp;category=33633

shit yeah

that is what i did and ran 13s, go for it!

rip
10-01-2004, 08:00 AM
Well i started ripping into it last night. Found 4 seperate holes in the block and the oilpan is battered. Also a piece of casting around one of the bolts on the bellhousing has broken off somehow. Just got a bunch of simple stuff done like put it on jack stands, took off the hood, rad, ac condenser, alt, battery, intake, ex header, and disconnected a pile of wires. Did as much as i think i'm comfortable with untill my helms manual arrives. I'll take off the axles tonight then just wait till the manual gets here. I'll hopefully start taking some pics soon and post some more updates.

Does anyone have a H22a shortblock or know where i could get one?

redline
10-01-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by rip
Well i started ripping into it last night. Found 4 seperate holes in the block and the oilpan is battered. Also a piece of casting around one of the bolts on the bellhousing has broken off somehow. Just got a bunch of simple stuff done like put it on jack stands, took off the hood, rad, ac condenser, alt, battery, intake, ex header, and disconnected a pile of wires. Did as much as i think i'm comfortable with untill my helms manual arrives. I'll take off the axles tonight then just wait till the manual gets here. I'll hopefully start taking some pics soon and post some more updates.

Does anyone have a H22a shortblock or know where i could get one?

so what was done to this car? cause will just BPU mods this should not happen!

rip
10-01-2004, 09:13 AM
I still have no clue why this happened. I have yet to diagnose the problem.

1-Bar
10-01-2004, 01:16 PM

Wow, I'm impressed. You know everything about buh_buh. Lemme ask you, is that a gas station in your sig? :rofl:

Sorry, had to use you to make fun of buh_buh haha.

hahha...no worries. I got those numbers off the EPC forum where he posted his dyno, that's how I know...

And yes, that is a gas station in my sig, that was the day we all went to Banff on 1a :thumbsup: