PDA

View Full Version : Is mr setup better or all wheel

MR.TWO
09-30-2004, 09:42 AM
me and my friends have been debating this subject for about three months now and i would like your opinion. what is a better setup MID ENGINE REAR WHEEL DRIVE or ALL WHEEL DRIVE. this car is ment for track driving, not rally not drag and not everyday driving. i belive that mr is a better setup

reason one: when racing, a driver is pushing the limits and we are all human and make mistakes so if a 4wd car loses track is has less of a chance to regain because of the fact all the wheels are spining and have no grip and the car understiers. in the mr case it would counter stier.

reason two: 4wd is heavier than a mr setup

reason three:on a 4wd car you have to ease off the gas when starting off when the car starts to roll forward thats when you can go full throtle on mr their no playing around.

i would like all of you opinion so pls post

1badPT
09-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Why are all the best supercars RWD (and most are mid mounted engines)?

AWD has its applications, like rallying and it has an advantage on the drag strip, but for all out road track racing, MR, RR or FR is the way to go IMO.

Boosted_TL
09-30-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT

AWD has its applications, like rallying and it has an advantage on the drag strip, but for all out road track racing, MR, RR or FR is the way to go IMO.

Well said !!!

:thumbsup:

Ryan@DerdallDesigns
09-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Most mid-engined sports cars have about 60% weight bias towards the rear, thanks to the engine, gearbox and differential are all located at the rear half of the car. In contrast, a well-sorted Porsche 924 has the engine in front and the transaxle at the rear, so it could actually achieve the perfect 50 / 50. Other good front-engined cars such as BMW 3-series and Honda S2000 also achieve 50 / 50, thanks to the lay-back engines.

The reason we prefer mid-engined cars is, instead of better balance, mid-engined cars have superior steering response. This is because they have lower polar moment of inertia. Considering the two system shown in below.

Both of them have equal front to rear weight distribution. The one having the mass concentrating near the CG (in other words, lower polar moment of inertia) is easier to rotate about the CG. This could be easily verified by our experience. Applying the same steering force, the mid-engined car steers more quickly. The same for countering a steering action. This means it is responsive to steer and correct.
There is another advantage: since less effort is required to steer the car, we can reduce or even discard power steering, which always filter the feedback from the road thus downgrade the steering feel.

Dynamic Balance

Another reason we prefer mid-engined car is actually the slightly rear-biased weight distribution. In acceleration, we need more weight on the rear wheels to generate more traction for better launch. Obviously, FR cars are inferior in this respect. (FF cars, however, might be even better, but we shall see FF’s disadvantages later)

If acceleration is not much related to handling, braking must be very decisive. When braking into a corner, weight transfers from the rear to the front, hence actually creating unbalance to a car which achieves 50 / 50 in static condition. In contrast, a 40 / 60 mid-engined car may achieve a real dynamic balance under braking.
Maybe this will help you.:thumbsup:

JAYMEZ
09-30-2004, 01:28 PM

:werd: , i agree

rage2
09-30-2004, 01:33 PM
The most important is DRIVER.

For pretty much 99.9% of us, FR, FF, MR, they're not going to make a difference in your performance at the track.

googe
09-30-2004, 04:45 PM

Theyre not!

1badPT
09-30-2004, 05:15 PM
hmm?

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:SRBRR_rOy0IJ:www.modernracer.com/features/worldsfastestcars4.html+rwd+Midengine&hl=en

googe
09-30-2004, 05:38 PM
Lamborghini seems to like awd

1badPT
09-30-2004, 06:09 PM
That's one example... how many more RWD examples would you like?

Plus I'd hardly call the new lambos the best of the supercars, they wore that crown in the past, but then they also made only RWD's in the past :thumbsup:

googe
09-30-2004, 06:49 PM
That's one example... how many more RWD examples would you like?

Plus I'd hardly call the new lambos the best of the supercars, they wore that crown in the past, but then they also made only RWD's in the past :thumbsup:

Oh I agree its a common configuration. Just saying AWD supercars isnt an uncommon thing. But yeah, the 4 you posted are better than anything lamborghini has.

That.Guy.S30
09-30-2004, 07:06 PM
awd.. skyline gt-r comes into mind. i dont know if that counts as a supercar

MR.TWO
09-30-2004, 07:40 PM
ya the gt-r is a good car and to some ppl it is a supercar but i was told that in the gt500 they take out the 4wd system

That.Guy.S30
09-30-2004, 08:55 PM
i beleive they stopped using the gt-r in the gt500. its history is amazing tho

ZorroAMG
09-30-2004, 09:04 PM
What about a few yrs ago on the DTM touring circuit, when the Audi A4 was no longer allowed to have quattro on their cars because it was destroying the competition with an "unfair advantage"

I think that is ultimate proof that AWD is a good thing, unlike bench racers and ghey road and track-esque diagnoses....

three.eighteen.
09-30-2004, 09:46 PM
but all the touring cars that competed with the quattro a4 were fwd...

That.Guy.S30
09-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
What about a few yrs ago on the DTM touring circuit, when the Audi A4 was no longer allowed to have quattro on their cars because it was destroying the competition with an "unfair advantage"

I think that is ultimate proof that AWD is a good thing, unlike bench racers and ghey road and track-esque diagnoses....

it was the same with the gt-r's. it was an unfair advantage. i believe that is why the wrc came to be.

ZorroAMG
10-01-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
but all the touring cars that competed with the quattro a4 were fwd...

BMW was competing with the A4 and was getting spanked...

JustinL
10-01-2004, 08:37 AM
I agree with instal22. The biggest difference will be from the low polar moment of inertia in the MR car if everything else is equal. On a tight track MR should dominate... Lotus Elise comes to mind.

If you have to run a restrictor plate, you can't afford the extra drive train loss that you would with a Awd setup. AWD cars will also be heavier, which means that they will brake, corner and accelerate (assuming traction is not an problem) worse than a MR car, again if all else is equal.

There are certainly better AWD platforms and worse MR platforms, but generally MR will be quicker around a road course.

IMHO
Justin