PDA

View Full Version : E.Coli Fiasco (split: Best Donaris in Town)

R-Audi
09-28-2004, 06:29 AM
Isn't it My Donair that had E-Coli?

sputnik
09-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Isn't it My Donair that had E-Coli?

Yeah, one in the NW and the one on Macleod Tr.

Xtrema
09-28-2004, 08:00 AM
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/News/2004/09/28/646411.html

The CHR is looking for anyone else who ate at the My Donair locations -- in Westbrook Mall and at 1200 37 St. S.W. -- between the same dates.

People who ate at the Wendy's at 475 36 St. N.E. and are showing signs of infection are also being asked to contact their doctor.

awd
09-28-2004, 08:53 AM
Both of the My Donairs, Macleod and 37st both had cases of E-Coli -- :barf:

QuasarCav
09-28-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by awd
Both of the My Donairs, Macleod and 37st both had cases of E-Coli -- :barf:

How do I get ahold of the health agency?

I eat there on the 11th of september, I feel fine but i guess they want people to pin-point what they ate.

Poor guy, This cant be good for business and he's just starting.

awd
09-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

How do I get ahold of the health agency?

I eat there on the 11th of september, I feel fine but i guess they want people to pin-point what they ate.

Poor guy, This cant be good for business and he's just starting.

Not sure dude, check A-Channel's website, I head them say something about contacting the health agency on the big breakfast show this morning.

It is a shame, it is not the restaurant's fault but in the end they will suffer -- I hate to admit it but because of this I will probably never eat there again.

LowRiderHD2000
09-28-2004, 10:57 AM
I also ate the My donair. My friend contacted the health watch last night.. It was just a mild case of e-coli. I didn't get sick but he was on the shitter for 5 days straight. We had everything the same except he had jalapenos and i had Banana Peppers.

403Gemini
09-28-2004, 11:36 AM
lol listen to all these wuss's on the news with their "oh no i have e coli"

j/k ;) i had it when i was younger, it fuckin sucked

QuasarCav
09-28-2004, 11:52 AM
I just called the CHRA to let them know my info.

I guess the problem is more with the distributors than the actual food handling.

If any of you ate at a my donair between Sept 1st and 21st than give them a call, it will help narrow down what people ate and when.

Kona9
09-28-2004, 12:05 PM
I ate at my Donair in Westbrooke mall in between that time frame. I could give two shits (no pun intended) if I got e-coli. It's not "My Donairs" fault. I will eat there again. MOst likely tonight. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING DONAIRS!!! Not to mention the people that work there are awesome as well!!!!

Wendy's was on that list for the one stop e-coli shop, and you can't tell me nobody will eat wendy's anymore.

HighVelocity
09-28-2004, 12:11 PM
I ate at My Donair on the 12th of September... the donair was good... but shit... the case of E Coli I got was one of the most painful experiences of my life.

And Kona9, have you actually had an E Coli infection? It may give you pause to eat at a place again... at least for a while.

I'm not touching fast food for a few months...

BigDannyCool
09-28-2004, 01:04 PM
mmm e-coli good stuff :drool:

GTS Jeff
09-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
I ate at my Donair in Westbrooke mall in between that time frame. I could give two shits (no pun intended) if I got e-coli. It's not "My Donairs" fault. I will eat there again. MOst likely tonight. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING DONAIRS!!! Not to mention the people that work there are awesome as well!!!!

Wendy's was on that list for the one stop e-coli shop, and you can't tell me nobody will eat wendy's anymore. um whos fault is it then?

Ben
09-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
um whos fault is it then?

Originally posted by QuasarCav

I guess the problem is more with the distributors than the actual food handling.

rockym20
09-28-2004, 04:17 PM
I've actually had E Coli (damn undercooked meatloaf...). I can say it wasn't fun. I was in bed for a week and could barely make it to the bathroom. I had to go to emergency a couple of times for IV injections (thank god it was while I was in Lethbridge, otherwise I might still be in the waiting room in one of the Calgary hospitals). I remember one night my wife was frying up something for dinner. The smell was just turning my stomach. Even though my bedroom was just outside the kitchen (I lived in a little 2 bedroom bi-level), I couldn't even talk loud enough for her to hear me saying "stop". After having gone through that, I can see how old people and little kids have died from this.

Weapon_R
09-28-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
um whos fault is it then?

One would normally point a finger at My donair if it were a SINGLE location.

The problem is that two My Donairs were found to be selling infected meat. Ultimately, one would have to reason that the distributors food handling practices are not up to par. Also, My Donair should take this as a lesson to ensure that they cook their meat a little more thoroughly, however.

danno567
09-30-2004, 12:23 PM
"westbrook mall's my donair"

mmmm uncooked beef. mmmmmm E Coli.

Time to turn up the heat on the grills n spits. Gotta kill all that yummy E Coli.

"Meat typically becomes contaminated with E. coli O157:H7 during the slaughtering process, when the contents of the animal's intestine and feces are allowed to come into contact with the carcass. Unless the carcass is sanitized somehow, the E. coli bacteria are eventually mixed into the meat, as it is ground into hamburger. Because the bacteria is mixed into the meat during the grinding process, and not just on the surface, thorough cooking (greater than 160 degrees) is required to prevent E. coli O157:H7 poisoning when the ground beef is eaten by the consumer. "

I wonder why people who sell meat don't know that they should heat up the meat past 160 degrees to ensure the shit that has been come into contact with the meat is ok to eat?

mmmm shit in meat. Yummy. Ground it up and wrap it up for sale.
Is that the magic ingredient? Awesome!

sputnik
09-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Was it confirmed tha the e.coli came from under cooked ground beef?

Beef isnt the only place you can get e.coli. You can get it from vegetables that where the irrigation water is contaminated with raw efluent.

QuasarCav
09-30-2004, 01:39 PM
:werd:

Lettuce that gets shit on it.

Khyron
09-30-2004, 02:16 PM
So it seems that instead of calling them "Victims of E Coli Poisoning" we should just call them "Shit Eaters" for short? :D

Khyron

GTS Jeff
09-30-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

One would normally point a finger at My donair if it were a SINGLE location.

The problem is that two My Donairs were found to be selling infected meat. Ultimately, one would have to reason that the distributors food handling practices are not up to par. Also, My Donair should take this as a lesson to ensure that they cook their meat a little more thoroughly, however.

fair enough, though as u pointed out, the whole thing could be avoided with proper cooking procedure.

Originally posted by sputnik
Was it confirmed tha the e.coli came from under cooked ground beef?

Beef isnt the only place you can get e.coli. You can get it from vegetables that where the irrigation water is contaminated with raw efluent.

well if u want to get technical, the h7:0157 (i hate how media uses the backwards connotation) part of e coli are actually virulence factors conferred thru plasmids. most e coli in the world, such as the ones found in soil and in your own gut microflora are h7:0157 free and only turn bad when they get fucked by the e coli with the h7:0157 virulence factors from other e coli. e coli from cow poo is especially bad for that.

Originally posted by Khyron
So it seems that instead of calling them "Victims of E Coli Poisoning" we should just call them "Shit Eaters" for short? :D

Khyron

actually, were all shit-eaters in that sense. we all eat ground beef and all ground beef has a little poo in it. its just that normally the fecal contamination (and therefore the concentration of e coli) is low enough that it doesnt cause infection in us.

the perks of a biosci degree is that sometimes u arent completely ignorant of what ure talking about :thumbsup:

method
09-30-2004, 05:32 PM
gahaha.. when it said there was a bunch of cases at ernest manning, I KNEW it was that donair place... :barf:

never ate there, but I know some kids did.

shadowz
09-30-2004, 05:37 PM
My friends girlfriend was also one of the people who got infected, totally sucks

Skyline_Addict
10-01-2004, 05:23 PM
that's interesting...that E. Coli is really just shit mixed in with your food.

rice_eater
10-03-2004, 06:35 AM
do you guys realize that at least 2 of the places with ecola (sp?) were My donair restaurants:eek:

Mod Edit: Split from Best Donairs in town! (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49539) thread

Neil4Speed
10-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater
do you guys realize that at least 2 of the places with ecola (sp?) were My donair restaurants:eek:

Hahaha Yes!! I was just waiting for someone to say this, and was quite shocked that you were the only one!

Yeah I have never been to My Donair, but I dunno If I will go after this whole ecoli thing.

Its a shame though, because apparently they were widely liked by allot of people and a small calgary based buisness.

Neil4Speed
10-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Hahaha Yes!! I was just waiting for someone to say this, and was quite shocked that you were the only one!

Yeah I have never been to My Donair, but I dunno If I will go after this whole ecoli thing.

Its a shame though, because apparently they were widely liked by allot of people and a small calgary based buisness.

Well then, I feel like an idiot.. there is a whole nother thread dedicated to the Ecoli thing..

:banghead:

AcuraTl
10-03-2004, 09:33 AM
its a real shame, i think that the store might go bankrupt after this incident. I honestly knew scores of people that used My Donair was a regular food source. And i knew one of them that shit blood outta there ass due to E-Coli.

Neil4Speed
10-03-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by AcuraTl
And i knew one of them that shit blood outta there ass due to E-Coli.

Thanks for the visual :barf:

Khyron
10-05-2004, 09:04 AM
I just ate there last night. Still kicking.

It's just like when Jack in the Box had 30+ people get sick - their case was a bad batch of lettuce, but knee jerk reactions AFTER the fact takes awhile to wear off.

Unless you really think you're still likely to get it even after the huge investigation/inspection... Personally I'm safer at the place that was just searched than the place 2 doors down that has never been checked.

Khyron

Ben
10-05-2004, 11:11 AM
I think that this whole thing was hanled by the media in such a shitty fasion!

They fucked over so many businesses.

Hell, on the news last night the location in McKenzie Town, totally unrelated to those other companies and has had no isses has been suffering severe business loss.

had the news explained it was from the product purchased by the locations and not the food handling it would have helped a whole lot.

My Buddy runs the onw at Westbrook, and I still support him 100%

QuasarCav
10-05-2004, 11:32 AM
I feel really bad for the guy at Macleod trail, he is just starting off and I'm sure this will hurt his whole family.

He has alot of regulars but I think the media has tainted the off the street crowd.

It's the same situation as someone charged with rape, even if they are found not guilty their name is all over the paper.

I have filled up my free donair card so I'll be there soon.

googe
10-05-2004, 09:05 PM
well if they are undercooking meat its their own fault. even if their source had it, theres still no excuse.

Weapon_R
10-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by googe
well if they are undercooking meat its their own fault. even if their source had it, theres still no excuse.

:werd:

Even though the distributors had it, there should have been some caution by the stores to cook the meat thoroughly. Often they will use meat that is slightly undercooked during busy times.

The media and CRHA handled this problem well. I don't care if it ruined a couple of businesses..people's lives are more important than a person's business.

kevie88
10-05-2004, 10:33 PM
I went and had a donair at the Westbrook Mall My Donair location tonight to show some support for the owners. The lady was really nice and gave me a couple of tasty dessert pastries.. yum.

I did notice that the meat was really well cooked however! lol

Khyron
10-05-2004, 10:34 PM
Of course, you're making an assumption that it came from the meat. As has been mentioned, it could have come from almost anything. The fact that it was multiple stores, including Wendy's makes is unlikely it was as simple as "not cooking it enough".

The media and CRHA handled this problem well. I don't care if it ruined a couple of businesses..people's lives are more important than a person's business.

The only way I would agree with that statement is if they found the source. And since when do you have any faith in the media at all? :angel:

Khyron

Weapon_R
10-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Of course, you're making an assumption that it came from the meat. As has been mentioned, it could have come from almost anything. The fact that it was multiple stores, including Wendy's makes is unlikely it was as simple as "not cooking it enough".

Of course, I am stating a fact that it came from the meat. And it was as simple as not cooking it enough - if you argue otherwise, everyone who ate the meat should have contracted the bacteria -and that is not the case.

rogue
10-05-2004, 11:17 PM
also even if the meat is cooked "properly" the bacteria still has a chance at survival this is ultimatly the food distributers fault as wendys and My donair had it should be obvious that it wasnt just undercooking or how would 3 locations get it all at once wow what a fluke.

rage2
10-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Like Weapon_R said, there were a lot of people that ate the meat and didn't get it. And if the meat is cooked properly, nobody would've got it (thus called PROPERLY).

As for the media not handling it properly, no business names were disclosed when it was first discovered. It was agreed upon by the CHRA and the media that names were not to be released. But unfortunately, people started bitching, and the ones that got it started telling everyone, so everyone knew about it before the media advertised which businesses had it. They gave in to the pressure and released the names after.

If there's anyone to blame, blame the people that spread the news. I found out about it nearly a week before it was published because one of the patients in the hospital told my wife.

Khyron
10-05-2004, 11:39 PM
It can also have NOTHING to do with meat. How does cooking your meat having anything to do with it if the lettuce is contaminated?!? Or did you guys just sleep through the last Jack in the Box E Coli outbreak, which had absolutely nothing to do with meat or cooking procedures. But of course they didn't figure it out for a month.

Unless you can prove it was the meat (which is certainly a strong possibility), please don't just say "Oh it's their fault for not cooking it enough, they should go out of business."

Khyron

Ben
10-05-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Like Weapon_R said, there were a lot of people that ate the meat and didn't get it. And if the meat is cooked properly, nobody would've got it (thus called PROPERLY).

As for the media not handling it properly, no business names were disclosed when it was first discovered. It was agreed upon by the CHRA and the media that names were not to be released. But unfortunately, people started bitching, and the ones that got it started telling everyone, so everyone knew about it before the media advertised which businesses had it. They gave in to the pressure and released the names after.

If there's anyone to blame, blame the people that spread the news. I found out about it nearly a week before it was published because one of the patients in the hospital told my wife.

Thats right, and then these rumors get out and they dont do anything about it to "set the records straight", leaving people to make their own assumptions on inaccurate and incomplete information.

I mean hell, take the CRTC for example. If they were to do an In Depth analysys on what the CRTC REALLY does, the average ignorant citizen would shit themselves.

But instead they let the private sector get beat on. Same principle in a way.

There are a lot of news stories I think they should do to clear up misconceptions, but they'll never get aired because the average citizen doesn't care, or want to know for that matter.

Ah the Matrix.