PDA

View Full Version : Just bought an 85 Toyota in the Hat Help

wanabeleaf
09-30-2004, 10:10 PM
I just bought a nice 85 Toyota 4x4 with the 22re. The truck is great but a little plain. Where can I find a place to dress this thing up. Also I want to put on some BFG's all terrain but have heard mixed reviews.

groundpilot
10-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Check out www.4wheeler.ca

Phuqu
10-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Depends what your goals for it are. BFG AT's aren't bad. It depends on the driving you plan to do. I've had both. AT's aren't as good in mud as the MT's but the AT's are better in the rain/snow.

As for dress up items what sort of things do you want?

wanabeleaf
10-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Basically anything that fits an 85. Everything that I have found has been for an 86 and up. Also does a lift kit hinder the handling of a truck. My kid still goes in the truck so I want it to be safe. I am pretty limited with tire size being that it is stock.

Phuqu
10-02-2004, 10:05 PM
I've installed a Rancho 3" lift kit with RS 9000's and if you set the shocks to the lighter settings around town it can ride really nice.

When you plan to go off road just firm them up by switching the knob.

There is plenty of stuff for the solid axles available.

I just ordered an ARB BullBar and a Safari Snorkel for my Toyota. Winch, gears and lockers are on the way as well.

wanabeleaf
10-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Where did you order your parts from?

Phuqu
10-03-2004, 01:50 PM
It depends on what I bought. I've used Modern Motors but have recently used National 4WD.

I also travel to the US and pick up parts I can bring across to save some $.

You can't beat a gear/locker package for $895 US. 2 Lockrites, 2 5.29 gear sets and 2 installation kits.

The ARB Bullbar was waaaay to big to take on an airplane. :)

These shops are in Calgary of course.

big A
11-05-2004, 08:24 PM
I just saw a new shop in town it is called yotarays.It speciallizes in toyota 4x4's it is just as you enter inglewood from the east side right by where you see that volkswagon van with two backsides welded together.I also got the phone number through 411.

turboMiata
11-06-2004, 03:11 PM
The BFG MTs work well when siped. I'm using the GY MT/R and they rock for mall crawling and kick ass on slickrock, but not all that impressive in the mud. Another option is the interco truxus.

dieselpower91
11-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Interco trXus (M/T, not STS) is a great tire for everything. I was very impressed with them, mud, rock, deep snow (like as deep as the tire is tall!), even good on ice due to the siping. My only problem with them is that they are a softer rubber than the other tires and wear down faster. But if you don't have a locked rear in the city and don't drive 800km in a week im sure they'll last longer.