PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Consumption

NCLBNY
10-01-2004, 07:47 AM
I just got my 89 RX7 Turbo and I am haveing a huge problem with Fuel Consumption. I am only getting about 21L per 100km, I know RX7's are bad on gas but this is a little extreme. If anyone has some advise please let me know. Thanx

QuasarCav
10-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Yikes.

Have you checked the usual suspects? Fuel filter, plugs, wires, air filter.

cambodian_b
10-02-2004, 02:21 AM
I found a website that is kind of cool it's www.fueleconomy.gov

You can check how much MPG your car gets. I hope that helps a little. Good luck!

Weapon_R
10-02-2004, 04:33 AM
Congratulations on the car.

You will now find out why they say that RX-7's make SUVs look like they have good consumption.

My cousin Redline_13000 used to have an RX-7. It was absolutely terrible on gas. It would barely make it to Edmonton on a full tank.

NCLBNY
10-02-2004, 07:56 AM
Thanx for the input, I have cleaned my airfilter and since then I can now get 19L per 100km, (hey its better than 21L). I still have to change plugs. I also think the super bald worn out tires and inaccurate alignment have something to do with it. but I guess I will see when I get those things done, should only be another week.:thumbsup:

Maxt
10-02-2004, 08:31 AM
With a good motor in a decent tune 20-24 mpg is doable in a stock fc, dump the cats, get a freeflowing exhaust system, and an s-afc to dial back the cruise a/f, buy a haynes manual, make sure everything is "up to snuff", 02 sensors etc etc, hook a digital volt meter up to the o2 ouptut, check for closed loop output at cruise conditions...Basically do a full tune up..
With a standalone computer, you can get economy car mileage..I run a haltech and tune with an FJO, my best mileage in my turbo car to date has been 33 mpg (about 7 litres/100 km)highway....On my non turbo FC with everything in tune, no cats, and the cruise a/f dialed back I have hit mileage in the 26-28 mpg range...
With both cars, Edmonton and back is doable on a tank of gas, they aren't that bad on gas, when everything is tuned properly..Max