PDA

View Full Version : Looking to getting into investing

Neil4Speed
10-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Hey guys,

First off let me apologize if this is a repost.

Well, I am a senior in High School, and when talking to my cousin got interested in the Stock Exchange. I was just wondering if you guys have any ideas on how to start, suggested brokers etc. I know its more than buy low, sell high.

Thanks,

Neil

liquid1010
10-03-2004, 05:18 PM
To understand the basics, and understand the system and how everything works... take the Canadian Securities Course. www.csi.ca

Neil4Speed
10-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Thanks allot for showing this to me.

Best regards,

Neil

liquid1010
10-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Yea I'm taking that course right now..... and I'm learning quite a bit. :)

outrageousrich
10-23-2004, 08:43 PM
I do something completely different, instead of fundamental analysis, which is the detailed info of a companies position, I do technical analysis. I read charts and patterns of a stocks and i have done very well I am up approximately 400% since i've started which is fairly decent.

Go to www.stockscores.com

liquid1010
10-23-2004, 08:55 PM
I tried doing that with a "fake" portfolio years ago. Basically run everything of trends, and graphs. It's less structured.... but worked well for me in the short-term.

Stratus_Power
10-23-2004, 09:00 PM
I just started playing around w/ stocks in the last 2 months or so. fairly new, I read some books, and the most str8 forward one that covers some basics were The Stock exchange for Dummies.

I tried to do the "fundamental analysis" and study the company in detail. And I think you can have a slight advantage if to look into stocks that are in a industry that you are very familiar with.

ie Im a comp nerd, so when everyone and their dogs are using google, yo know they arre doing realllyyyyy well ( and they did.. VERY well. unfortunately i never had the capital to invest it) or you know apple's ipod is selling like hotcakes, so they'll most like have a higher than expected profits. ( and they did)

Before I though i would just "try" it out with a few grand.. ~3-5, and now i realize thats not nearly enuf to make some decent money, especially if I want to buy more than 2 diff stocks.

but these are just wat i kind of picked up from the last 2 months, im sure it sounds like a bunch of bs or common sense to the other ppl who've been playing stocks for a while. but just trying to contribute.. Hopefully others will too. Im also trying to learn as much as I can

davidI
10-23-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power

ie Im a comp nerd, so when everyone and their dogs are using google, yo know they arre doing realllyyyyy well ( and they did.. VERY well. unfortunately i never had the capital to invest it) or you know apple's ipod is selling like hotcakes, so they'll most like have a higher than expected profits. ( and they did)

You've just got to remember that when it's something obvious like those two examples they'll keep running up and up because investors are expecting these amazing things and before too long the price is way greater than the companies value and the 'bubble bursts'. If you get out on time it's great...I have a feeling google will plummet within the next few months though although those lucky enough to have picked up the IPO are sitting on a 80% gain or something like that right now.

beinkken
11-06-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power ie Im a comp nerd, so when everyone and their dogs are using google, yo know they arre doing realllyyyyy well ( and they did.. VERY well. unfortunately i never had the capital to invest it) or you know apple's ipod is selling like hotcakes, so they'll most like have a higher than expected profits. ( and they did)[/B]

You needed an american address to get in on the google IPO.