PDA

View Full Version : New Air Canada Stocks: Potential?

Stratus_Power
10-04-2004, 12:50 AM
I think the new AC stocks are opening tomorrow. Do you guys think it has some short term "potential?"

rage2
10-04-2004, 12:56 AM
If you've rode with Air Canada lately, or had experience with their staff (especially during closing time), you would not invest in the company :).

Lemme tell ya, when I got delayed getting home from the Dom. Republic, and arriving at Toronto trying to talk to Air Canada reps 15 minutes before they closed, they treated all of us on the plane like shit.

Long Live Westjet.

Weapon_R
10-04-2004, 01:01 AM
A lot of people think like you, so you'll notice that the stocks will be hot for a few days. Then they will come back down to earth, once everyone realizes how crappy it is to invest in a broke company.

B17a
10-04-2004, 07:52 AM
It's the same goddamn management running the place (Milton)! Rule of thumb, the guys who got you into the mess in the first place, are not going to be the ones who get you out. You're better off throwing a dart at the TSX listings and picking a stock that way than picking AC.

Gainsbarre
10-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Maybe pick Air Canada if you're going to short it?:dunno:

Rav4Guy
10-04-2004, 08:41 AM
you won't short it because you short when its at its peak in market price.

AC will be a very risky short term investment... I'm talking couple of days maybe and you will need lots of shares if you want to make something decent out of it. best of luck.

Stratus_Power
10-04-2004, 10:16 AM
haha that's a very good point Rage, my dad came from vancouver to calgary this summer, and they lost his lugage. AC doesnt even seem they care at all, they just ask him to fill out the form and wait for it to show up or go home. ( we ended up waiting for the next flight in and it was right there)

But anyway, so when my dad leaves, going from calgary to Vancouver, he took westjet. And somehow they lost his lugage too!! ( i went to vancouver too to spend a few days there)
And the service from Westjet is pretty damn good. They keep apologizing, gave us $25 credit, then when we said we'll wait for the next flight to see if its going to be on it, they gave us $32 worth of food vouchers for the food court while we wait.

And finally when it arrived, they gave us another $25 credit for picking it up ourselves!

long live westjet! haha

Originally posted by rage2
If you've rode with Air Canada lately, or had experience with their staff (especially during closing time), you would not invest in the company :).

Lemme tell ya, when I got delayed getting home from the Dom. Republic, and arriving at Toronto trying to talk to Air Canada reps 15 minutes before they closed, they treated all of us on the plane like shit.

Long Live Westjet.

rage2
10-04-2004, 10:54 AM
I still have luggage that's lost with AC. I can't contact them because they only have a PO box, I've mailed them all my original receipts, and I've been sitting here for nearly a year waiting on news of my suitcase with about $4k worth of stuff.

bigboom
10-04-2004, 11:23 AM
try getting rid of the stock if you buy it...gonna be tough.

benyl
10-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Haha, Air Canada has the worst service.

Milton took a profitable company and made it go bankrupt... I see it happening again in the near future.

Kid_a
10-04-2004, 12:25 PM
WestJet kicks ass! I work for ATS (The guys that load/unload bags for WestJet, guide the planes into the gates, etc) so I have an inside view of the working's of this company, and they are just great!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: for WestJet

rage2
10-04-2004, 12:31 PM
I like how Air Canada took the money used to save them from bankrupcy, and launched Tango, Jazz and ZIP to kill off Westjet as a competitor, so they can monopolize the market. That failed, they went bankrupt, Tango and ZIP are gone, Jazz is still left I think. Well, they kept the Tango name for cheap fares :rofl:.

owned!

fast95pony
10-04-2004, 01:04 PM
I've been sitting here for nearly a year waiting on news of my suitcase with about $4k worth of stuff.

Dayyum !! I wouldn't trust AC with my 5 year old worn underwear !!!

:rofl:

Lanks
10-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Westjet:thumbsdow because of all around crappy pay for employees. Its easy to have low fares when you pay your employees peanuts

nismodrifter
10-04-2004, 01:12 PM
air canada sucks.....but we basically had to take them on the flight to india (they are the only ones who fly direct from toronto --> delhi non stop)

on the return, they took 3 hours to get our luggage processed (we were at the checkstand teh whole time with some guy who started freakiing out because his pc locked up). He starts yelling and shit. We were the LAST ones there.....flight is like waiting for us. Then their supervisor comes and says to us "you guys need to hurry up, why didn't you arrive 3 hours prior to the flight" needless to say we gave her shit because we DID get there on time...their bullshit service people scrweed up and then she has the nerve to blame US for what is going on. Bastards

Service while ON the flight is good, but anybody who is working on the ground just doesn't give a shit.

benyl
10-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Lanks
Westjet:thumbsdow because of all around crappy pay for employees. Its easy to have low fares when you pay your employees peanuts

Don't they get profit sharing? I prefer low paid eager people to Unionized overpaid people with bad attitudes and bad service.

B17a
10-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Don't they get profit sharing? I prefer low paid eager people to Unionized overpaid people with bad attitudes and bad service.

IF you're working in the airline industry I'd rather take crappy pay, have a job and be happy (most WJ employees seem happy). On the flip side you could work for more pay, not know if you'll have a job at the end of the week, be a miserable cranky bitch and wear the AC uniform and be the target of constant riducle from bitter travellers like me!

rage2
10-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Westjet folks are so cheery and happy, sometimes it's sickening :rofl:.

I remember when they made everyone sing on the plane... it was so retarded haha.

danno567
10-04-2004, 02:42 PM
air canada is a joke. if you plan to fly international, use someone else. Their stock will reflect their service after the inital buzz dies.

malaysia airlines are amazing.

Thai airlines are real good too.

Ed the SOHC
10-04-2004, 03:10 PM
AC employees are f*ing themselves over. They come to work all pissed off and angry at the passengers; now, no one (including myself) wants to fly with them.
Take your anger w/ the union or AC but acting like a bitch ain't gonna help. :guns: AC

SI-vic
10-04-2004, 03:31 PM
best airline i've been on
Lufthansa - a german company

AC by far the worst I've ever been on, reasons already mentioned.

Shaolin
10-04-2004, 03:33 PM

crappy pay? i thought their pay is reasonable for what they do..

max_boost
10-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong.

A bad investment is a bad investment. There are reasons why Air Canada sucks ass and will continue. The company and business structure from top management down to its employees is a complete joke! Just look at all the negative things you guys just said about Air Canada.

As for Westjet, business is very focused. Their employees aren't unionized and all workers receive shares of the company. So basically, they all own a piece of the pie. Mission and Vision are clearly stated.

Anyway, what's going on with the Air Canada vs. Westjet lawsuit? Haven't been paying attention to anything recently.

5.9 R/T
10-04-2004, 04:05 PM

With profit sharing the employees are making at least what their counterparts are making at other airlines, in most cases much more. Several employees who were there at the beginning are mulit millionares now because of it.

I'm waiting to find out the outcome of AC vs Westjet regarding that corporate esponiage case. If WJ has to pay out their stocks will drop, and I will pick up a bunch then.

Lanks
10-04-2004, 05:01 PM

True they get profit sharing but i am waiting to see what employee morale will be like when the profit sharing checks stop rolling in. From what i've heard a lot of employees in the company depend on the 10G+ profit share checks twice a year. i wonder what will happen to their morale when they basically lose $20000 a year off their pay. because the industry as a whole has been in a slump, I'm pretty sure even westjet didn't post much of a profit last quarter... which means lower checks for the employees

For sure AC customer service employees need to give their heads a shake... I mean when you know you're pullin down 60G's a year to be a ticket agent you could at least be nice:)

Neil4Speed
10-04-2004, 05:42 PM
Man this is really weird. Everyone talks about how horrible Air Canada is, but in the many times I have flown with them, I have never had any problems (touch wood). The people on the ground and on the air were great. They even let me sneak a few extra bags/pounds (over the limit) from a UK to Calgary flight.

It realy depends who you talk to, but from what it seems I am one of the rare few who like Air Canada. I have never flown west jet but apparently they are fantastic.

blueripper6
10-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Air canada = broke, and they are spending more and more money eachday.

Why invest? whats positive?

benyl
10-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Westjet folks are so cheery and happy, sometimes it's sickening :rofl:.

I remember when they made everyone sing on the plane... it was so retarded haha.

:rofl::rofl: The first time I flew westjet was the most annoying experience of my life. But, it is better than some of the grumpy fat old ladies on AC.

5.9 R/T
10-05-2004, 12:21 AM

True they get profit sharing but i am waiting to see what employee morale will be like when the profit sharing checks stop rolling in. From what i've heard a lot of employees in the company depend on the 10G+ profit share checks twice a year. i wonder what will happen to their morale when they basically lose $20000 a year off their pay. because the industry as a whole has been in a slump, I'm pretty sure even westjet didn't post much of a profit last quarter... which means lower checks for the employees

For sure AC customer service employees need to give their heads a shake... I mean when you know you're pullin down 60G's a year to be a ticket agent you could at least be nice:)

It's no longer slumping, PAX totals are back up to where they were pre 9/11, the market is just a lot more competitive now. Companies like WJ and Jetsgo are flooding the marketplace with cheap airfares making it next to impossible for a the slow reacting, inefficent AC to compete with them. And WJ is for sure turning a profit, hell their stock just split again earlier this year. Compared to the same time in '03 their revenue was up over 50 million, that was back in June or july.

91_Integz
10-05-2004, 09:37 AM
is the ticker symbol still AC.TO?

Stratus_Power
10-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by 91_Integz
is the ticker symbol still AC.TO?

no, its listed under ACE aviation ... something now

hjr
10-05-2004, 09:58 PM
ace.b is aircanada's tsx symbol. wja is westjets