PDA

View Full Version : difference between buffing and polishing

beyondpinoy
10-04-2004, 02:20 PM
i'm planning to fix up some imperfectoin on my car, and i was reading that its VERY IMPORTANT to buffer the car after you put the clear coat paint on the car, i was wondering , whats the differene between polishing and buffering? arent they the same thing? and i use a polisher to do the same job as a buffer?

SwitchBlade
10-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Orbital buffers:
-are best suited for applying non abrasive higher gloss products that work at a lower speed.
-They dont create much friction or heat
-They have a bonnet instead of a pad -
-They don't create many swirl marks either

Rotary buffer or power polishers:
-work at faster rpm's and the speed is variable
-they create ideal heat and friction so they are able to clean oxidized or scratched surfaces
-They have a pad.
-Greater risk of burning or removing paint
-but produce better results than the buffer

The buffer would be a better choice for a person with limited skill or an at home user. The power polisher is recomended for a professional with some training.

What kind of imperfection are you trying to remove?

beyondpinoy
10-04-2004, 07:06 PM
i just wanna get rid of some rust on my car, and i got some filler and some paint, and i was reading that cut and buffering are important to make it look professional

DuPont
10-04-2004, 07:41 PM
What kind of paint are you going to use?

legendboy
10-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Buffing is like waxing, power polishing (cut polish) your actually removing the scratched clear coat material. Cut polish only works on "base clear" painted surfaces.

beyondpinoy
10-06-2004, 08:46 AM
ok i fixed one part of my car on my door, it looks awsome, but if you look closely, its a little blurry compaired ot the rest of the paint, cuz the rest of the car has a mirror image, but the stuff i just painted, is a little blurry mirror image..

*note: from like 5 - 6 feet away, you can't even noticed the blurr, it looks exactly like

is that what the buffer is suppose to fix? is it suppose to make the paint to have a mirror shine??

beyondpinoy
10-07-2004, 10:02 PM
anyone?

SwitchBlade
10-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Yes, it should look mirror like when your done buffing. Before i polish a car it looks dull. After im done it looks sharper more mirror like.

Think of buffing as taking out all the irregularities out of the clear coat. On a microscopic level it is bumpy. In essence you are smoothing out the clearcoat surface so it is flat.

Just take it slow make sure the surface is warm, not hot and you shouldn't have any problems.

beyondpinoy
10-08-2004, 10:29 PM
i was wondering if i could use this to make the clear coat shiny?

simoniz 10inch (http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302194951&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395348027&bmUID=1097295931558&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441890751&assortment=primary)

HellfireR6
10-10-2004, 10:21 AM
buffing and polishing is the same, its to remove inperfections like swirl marks from the base coat. and also oxidization, stains etc etc ... waxing is to apply a layer of protectant... so remember polishing and waxing are 2 different things..

S14maniac
11-27-2004, 02:34 AM
i would say:

1.wash car
2.clay bar your car
3.terry cloth with Meguiars DACP # 83
4.put on Meguiars NXT (leave for 30-60min)
5.whipe off with mircofiber towel
6.be amazed.

audio1der
12-23-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by beyondpinoy
ok i fixed one part of my car on my door, it looks awsome, but if you look closely, its a little blurry compaired ot the rest of the paint, cuz the rest of the car has a mirror image, but the stuff i just painted, is a little blurry mirror image..

*note: from like 5 - 6 feet away, you can't even noticed the blurr, it looks exactly like

is that what the buffer is suppose to fix? is it suppose to make the paint to have a mirror shine??
That's called Marring. You need to polish the clear coat in progressively lighter stages in order to bring the shine back.
Always try the least aggressive stuff you think will work 1st, and step it up if that doesn't work.