PDA

View Full Version : whats better cardio

kanjus_paki
10-04-2004, 05:27 PM
rowing machine or bike.....

rowing machine seems way more tiring so does that mean its better?

Melinda
10-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Definately rowing...Rowing works more of your body

kanjus_paki
10-04-2004, 05:30 PM
does it actually brun any fat...

thats why 15 mins on the rowing machine feels like 30 mins on the bike?

Melinda
10-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Any cardio has fat burning potential

SkylineAdmirer
10-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Rowing works your whole body, i find rowing is great workout, bike is more of a sweat machine, not too much of a work out, but then agian, i just run.

grocko
10-04-2004, 07:35 PM
IMO running or swimming is the best way to improve cardio! :thumbsup:

emma
10-21-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by grocko
IMO running or swimming is the best way to improve cardio! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Running is def the best form of cardio but out of the two rowing is better because it gives you a full body work out. I ve never really bothered with the exercise bikes, would only use them if I was training for something specificaly bike related as it just gives you huge quads. Swimming is really good cuz it gives you a cardio work out, works the muscles in your arms and legs but doesn't put any harsh impact on your joints.

TrevorK
10-21-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by emma

:thumbsup: Running is def the best form of cardio but out of the two rowing is better because it gives you a full body work out. I ve never really bothered with the exercise bikes, would only use them if I was training for something specificaly bike related as it just gives you huge quads. Swimming is really good cuz it gives you a cardio work out, works the muscles in your arms and legs but doesn't put any harsh impact on your joints.

Swimming is much better than running, sorry.

And an exercise big will NOT give you big quads.

JeremyD
10-21-2004, 10:13 AM
It is possible to increase the size of your quads using an exercise bike. It would be more resistance training and not really aerobic at that point but it is possible. Short sprints with high resistance, combined with short rest periods between will increase your leg size. Doing Squats and other leg exercises might be better and quicker but it is possible.

If all you are doing is just riding for 15-30 minutes with low resistance and low intensity, you are not going to see an increase in your leg size.

rahim
10-21-2004, 01:07 PM
low intensity cardio is pretty useless unless you are following a strict diet, hiit is where its at, alot more fat burning potential

1badPT
10-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by TrevorK

Swimming is much better than running, sorry.

And an exercise big will NOT give you big quads.
I used to do both on my cardio cycle and jogging definitely increases your heart rate a lot more than swimming and I'm pretty certain it burns more calories because whenever I got home I was tired and hungry. Swimming does have the advantage of keeping your body cool while working hard and it has the advantage of putting little to no stress on your joints.

There are pros and cons to every excercise.

hash
10-21-2004, 07:17 PM
the elliptical is pretty good for cardio too... nice and low impact.

blueripper6
10-21-2004, 07:36 PM
Use the eliptical trainer.. works really well.. What ive been using lost like 10 pounds in 6 weeks also with some diet change

1-Bar
10-21-2004, 11:18 PM
rowing machine works more muscles, so thus you would tire faster. If you wanna efficiently burn fat, you have to get into the required target zone for your heart rate....regardless of the exercise.

Swimming IMO is the best.

TrevorK
10-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT

I used to do both on my cardio cycle and jogging definitely increases your heart rate a lot more than swimming and I'm pretty certain it burns more calories because whenever I got home I was tired and hungry. Swimming does have the advantage of keeping your body cool while working hard and it has the advantage of putting little to no stress on your joints.

There are pros and cons to every excercise.

Swimming affects all the muscles in your body, which jogging does not.

This means that jogging may "possibly" (I still don't think it does if you swim with the same intensity you do when you job) burn more calories initially, but because of swimming involving more muscles it'll burn more calories throughout the day.

It's just like weightlifting - it won't burn more calories than cardio initially, but over the course of the day it does because of the increase in metabolism and the muscle repair process.

awd
10-22-2004, 12:18 PM
RUN.

davidI
10-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by awd
RUN.

EAT. LIFT. GROW.

Cardio is only good for cutting after you're already huge

~Leah~
10-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Between the rower and the bike... it depends what part of your body you want to work the most that day for cardio. Upper or lower body?

I wouldn't necessarily say either one of those are better than the other, because both of them only really use half the body. Like other people said, swimming is probably the best cardio workout you can do, because it keeps your metabolism up throughout the day thanks to using a lot of muscles in the body, plus adding the resistance of the water.

tsi_neal
10-22-2004, 07:43 PM
Since the question is what is the better CARDIO workout it doesnt matter... as long as you get your heart rate where you want it and keep it there for the duration you want it there you will be getting the same cardio workout no matter the exercize...

now if your concerned about other muscles while getting the cardio workout then be concerned about what you do. What are your training goals? is it for sport, weightloss, somehting else? If its for sport then find a good crosstraining routine that complemints your sport. Weightloss youll want to work the biggest muscles possible as they will burn more calories than smaller muscles, for this cycling will be better than rowing.

grocko
10-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal
Since the question is what is the better CARDIO workout it doesnt matter... as long as you get your heart rate where you want it and keep it there for the duration you want it there you will be getting the same cardio workout no matter the exercize...

:werd: