PDA

View Full Version : If you could built the "Next" MR2 what would it be like?

Redlyne_mr2
10-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Just wondering what everyone thinks the perfect MR2 is. Personally Im not a huge fan of the MRS, I think toyota made a few mistakes when they built that car. I think that the New Toyota powered Lotus elise is what the newest gen MR2 should have been

bcrdukes
10-05-2004, 01:19 AM
^
They should've offered a boosted (turbocharged or supercharged at least) option rather than stick to a naturally aspirated 2ZZ-GE.

That engine has its potential to bite! :)

blinkme_210
10-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Wasn't that Elise tested on Top Gear, and it ranked like dead even with a Ferrari or something. Whatever rank it got, I know it was pretty high up there on the chart, like maybe even top 10???

mr2mike
10-05-2004, 06:14 PM
I've actually test driven the MRS and I must say I still like the turbo ones better. The MRS's handle surprisingly really good for having stock suspension, I took it on this crazy road in Tucon, Arizona with the craziest turns and ups and downs I have never driven a road like it and this car stuck... No tire squeal but the engine rev's need to be up around 5,000 before it's really got power. But the looks... Girls car!

I'd go for a lighter body than the 91-98's and more stock power with a turbo engine maybe even a V6 turbo with the potential to twin turbo it. But I guess that would make it heavier, hmmm...

People seem to think my car is a 2005 so do we need a new design?

buh_buh
10-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
Wasn't that Elise tested on Top Gear, and it ranked like dead even with a Ferrari or something. Whatever rank it got, I know it was pretty high up there on the chart, like maybe even top 10??? That was an Exige, and it was faster than a GT3, but slightly slower than a Gallardo. Sweet car nonetheless.

Boostn
10-06-2004, 08:52 PM
A car similiar to the current Elise, of course keep it mid engined and rwd. Keep the weight down around 2500lbs and a 4cyl turbo engine pushing 250-300hp would be nice. Add a double wishbone susp at front/rear, 16-17" rims, 6 spd trans. Lastly don't make it a roadster like the MR-S, hardtop or sunroof option only. IMO follow the spirit of the MKII in concept but price it within reason, which is nearly impossible for Toyota.

buh_buh
10-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Think about what your saying tho.....
2500lbs, 4cyl turbo pushing 300hp with good suspension, big wheels and 6 speed and you expect the price to be reasonable?!

Ferio_vti
10-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Sadly enough, the Celica and MR2 will be no more in NA:
http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id=20040716

jvillain
10-10-2004, 03:26 PM
The problem with the MR2 is no matter what Toyota was to come out with it is gonna get murdered by the Elise in the US. Canada probably won't get the Elise but Toyota doesn't really car about Canada.

The Celica I find to be a dummer decision. Lets face it though, the markup on the 4 Runner is a lot bigger than the sports cars. Kyoto may change that though.

BigMass
10-10-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by jvillain
The problem with the MR2 is no matter what Toyota was to come out with it is gonna get murdered by the Elise in the US. Canada probably won't get the Elise but Toyota doesn't really car about Canada.

Elise wont murder anything. It's a $60,000 car. Its not going to be competing with 25,000-35,000 cars. Its not even close to the same price point as an MR2 would be

civicrider
10-11-2004, 12:40 PM
the only thing i didnt liek about the MRS was the looks, they shoulda kept it closer to the second gen MR2 just make flush mount lights stock, maybe add some more curves to the car, make it look more modern, as far as speed is in the MRS its great those fly :thumbsup:

mr2mike
10-11-2004, 12:57 PM
I agree with civic rider.... they should have changed it a little but not much from the second gen. Then have flushmounts so we could get that front end and put it on our 2nd gens. Or atleast have that option. Ohhhh and since I'm looking at them in civicriders pic... Lambo doors or that option would be cool. Never have seen a car with an option like that.

Zenshi
10-14-2004, 01:27 AM
MK 1.5 gen III 3s motor... =) thats what the new one should be like ;)