PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Tickets

SteveMo600
10-05-2004, 01:34 PM
This is just a thread to let everybody know how to screw the Police system in Calgary. I recently got a ticket for not fully stopping at a stop sign and obviously I wasn't too happy at all. I was pissed to tell you the truth. It was for $287 and 3 demerits so it wasn't just a little minor ticket. I was going to just pay it and get it over with but one of my friends, she told me to just go fight it. I guess the worst that could happen was I'd just have to pay. So i went to the Rocky Mountain Plaza and talked to a Crown Prosecuter and told him my story. My story was pretty much crap...I told him that I was a college student and I couldn't afford it. He decided to drop all demerits and the ticket to $150. They're so good about reducing tickets it's amazing. So just to let anybody know...if you've got a ticket...go fight it forsure. I can guarantee that they'll give you a reduction whether it's money wise or demerits wise. Just trying to help you all keep your licenses and your paychecks.

QuasarCav
10-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Pretty much anyone on here with tickets fights them.

Good knowledge for all those ticket threads though.

I personally saved 150 and 3 demerits with a BS story, the JP would rather you pay a lower amount than go delinquent.

BigShow
10-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Good to hear, I think we've all been doing this for years though.

Clem
10-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Keep in mind it probably costs the province/city less to settle for a lower fine amount (something that is within reason for the average person to pay) than sending a prosecutor to court, paying the constable OVERTIME to appear at the trial etc....

What it all boils down to is that a city/province/country is just another form of business.

Trafficlawyer
10-06-2004, 05:23 PM
Interesting. Good to talk to the Crown, if you can get into their office. When I was a Crown (I worked in Winnipeg traffic court for almost two years) I did that all the time. Of course, in Manitoba it was easy to recommend a reprimand. A bit tougher in BC.

You're right Clem. Here in BC, Premier Campbel recently announced some sort of pro-municipality legislation that will allow cities to keep 100% of the revenue from violation tickets, as opposed to just a percentage. Now, how could the city governments not put pressure on police departments to issue more tickets? Exactly.

Adrian Denegar
Traffic Lawyer
http://www.trafficlawyer.ca