PDA

View Full Version : Cant connect to internet while connected to internet?!?!

Stratus_Power
10-05-2004, 07:47 PM
I've been having a weird comp problem and im wondering if anyone can help me out.

lately.. if i leave my computer on long enuf and doesnt use it.. ( let say i leave it untouch for... 2 hours), i would not be able to connect to websites and msn, like my internet was out. I would have to restart everytime.

but the weird part is, i've had bit torrent running when that happend and i was still downloading fine while i was unable to access websites/msn.

and according to my zone alarm, I'm still connected to the internet.

any idea?

danno567
10-06-2004, 11:09 AM
wake on lan set on your nic?

bit-torrent saturating your connetion?

is it a new pc? Do you have sp2 installed for xp?

Gonthro
10-06-2004, 11:11 AM
do you have a hub? and on shaw?

Khyron
10-06-2004, 11:19 AM
I had this happen before - for me it was a version of zone alarm. Try checking for upgrades, or uninstall it and put in an older version. And yes, it drove me nuts too because stuff still works...sort of.

Edit: Next time it happens, shut down zone alarm and see if your net comes back.

Khyron

cityhunter2501
10-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
I had this happen before - for me it was a version of zone alarm. Try checking for upgrades, or uninstall it and put in an older version. And yes, it drove me nuts too because stuff still works...sort of.

Edit: Next time it happens, shut down zone alarm and see if your net comes back.

Khyron

yep problem is with older version of Zone Alarm Pro, I always had this problem aswell.
I uninstalled mine.

danno567
10-06-2004, 01:06 PM
if its an older prob with zone alarm this may help

Clean Uninstall of ZoneLabs-Zonealarm
--------------------------------------
(a) Manually remove the following left-over log and report files which contain the previous used information of ZA and it affected the next clean reinstallation of ZA:-

C:\Windows\Internet log\ZALog.txt
C:\Windows\System\ZoneLabs\VSMON.RPT
C:\Windows\APPLOG\VSMON.LGC
C:\Windows\APPLOG\MINILOG.LGC

(b) Then Go to registry by Start-run, type regedit. In the registry, drill to
HK_Local Machine\Software\Zone Labs\

Remove the subkeys under above registry including emailsafe and registration.
HK_Current_User\Software\Zone Labs\

OK. Restart computer.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

thats for a manual uninstall if the uninstall feature still gives you probs. be careful in the reg man.

GoChris
10-06-2004, 01:25 PM
its bit-torrent, happened to me. everything else would die.

stopped using it an no problems since.

instead of rebooting, just disable then re-enable your lan connection.