PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap vs car insurance

GoChris
10-05-2004, 07:48 PM
So I am going to be putting in an h22a into my accord soon.

I was talking with a guy at work about this, and since its not really changing displacement from the current f22 engine, would I need to inform insurance. If I dont tell them, what could possibly happen?

As far as I know they go by displacement so I am hoping it wouldnt matter cause I'll be dammed if I am going to pay more. I only have pl/pd on this car, very min I can get.

rage2
10-05-2004, 08:08 PM
You need to tell insurance of all your mods. Otherwise, it'll be just headache after headache if you need to make a claim, regardless if it's your fault or not.

GQNammer
10-05-2004, 08:19 PM
I don't know about other insurance places, but if I were to change my motor or turbo my car, my insurance company will not insure me.

93PGT
10-06-2004, 01:35 PM
I told my insurance company when the KLZE was swapped in, but it didn't change the rate.

C4S
10-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Most insurance will probaby not insurance your car, if they know that you have heavy mod on your car ... (if you buy FULL coverage)

So, you should tell your insurance company ( not just tell the agent, they know nothing sometimes) however, they may either increase you insurance cost or don't want to cover your car ..

um ..
:(

GoChris
10-06-2004, 02:46 PM
would it change if the displacement isnt changing? going from the f22 to the h22

maybe i'll phone to inquire

QuasarCav
10-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by rlde.us
would it change if the displacement isnt changing? going from the f22 to the h22

maybe i'll phone to inquire

It's still a different engine, A modification in the insurance companies eyes.

Otherwise all the guys with B16's in their Civic/CRX's would have no change is displacement.

Xtrema
10-06-2004, 03:38 PM
A simple answer is, if anything happens you'll get an Accord with h22 as a replacment.

f22 isn't list in the original contract for your model of Accord.

Logically, if you total your car and want your insurance company to find a h22 and drop in a f22, they got to factor in the cost in doing so.

Hence, they should charge higher rate. Of course, if you just want a h22 back, don't bother calling insurance.

Fuji
10-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
A simple answer is, if anything happens you'll get an Accord with h22 as a replacment.

f22 isn't list in the original contract for your model of Accord.

Logically, if you total your car and want your insurance company to find a h22 and drop in a f22, they got to factor in the cost in doing so.

Hence, they should charge higher rate. Of course, if you just want a h22 back, don't bother calling insurance.

you got it backwards, but right idea. End of the day you will only get the accord engine back not the prelude engine. The risk of telling your insurance provider is that they will drop you.

Ben
10-06-2004, 07:39 PM
I told mine, they didn't care, I just pay more.