PDA

View Full Version : How much does a dealership usually markup?

93PGT
10-06-2004, 07:20 PM
I'm looking at this 2001 Prelude and the dealer has it for $22,995. What do you think would be a fair price to offer him? I took the car for a test drive today and it seems awesome! Feels great, shifts smooth, and looks awesome!

The car is so low for having no kit, only like 4 or maybe 5 inches of clearance. I'd hate to see how low it gets if I were to put a body kit on.

Anyways, this car has got mods done to it...so does this void the warranty? I asked him about that but he said he's pretty sure bolt on mods don't effect the warranty. But I don't want to spend $20k+ and hope he's right in case something craps out.

http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?rubno=4000&r='CAL'&ste=&sid=&issr=1&yfr=0&yto=0&kfr=0&kto=0&pfr=0&pto=0&dm=1&dp=8&mk=HONDA&md=PRELUDE&kw=&or=0&oby=7&pg=6&vid=1398173

statick
10-06-2004, 07:26 PM
seems pretty good. talk him down to liek 21/20 g's, run the vin, get an inspection, and get him to tell u a strait answer bout the warranty, or ask the dealership it was pourchased at if the warranty is still void.

good luck on buying a new car.

-unaiz

JordanLotoski
10-06-2004, 07:31 PM
sucks buying a used car from a dealer u have to pay gst!!

kanjus_paki
10-06-2004, 07:32 PM
prolly just look at getting around 22 including tax

jaysas_63
10-06-2004, 10:20 PM
if u want to buy used, and the car is farily new go for a private sale...they are cheaper and no GST, and usually u still have the orig warrenty on the car

Weapon_R
10-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
sucks buying a used car from a dealer u have to pay gst!!

Not if you can negotiate. And paying cash always helps.

Redlyne_mr2
10-06-2004, 10:46 PM
My guess is the dealer paid 15K or less at an auction or as a trade in. Huge markup in used cars

CRXguy
10-06-2004, 10:49 PM
i asked about trade in on my wrx, and it's listed at 17,900 right now. :nut: dealers are selling them 27,000+. :nut: :nut:

rip
10-06-2004, 10:58 PM
I would recommend getting them to put the warranty and their claims of warranty on paper.

I just had the engine let go in my prelude and it wasn't covered under warranty (i still supposedly had 3yrs left on it or 100000kms) and i only have light mods done to it. I was told it had warranty as well when i transfered the warranty over at the dealer, and they even came and looked at the vehicle. I was under the impression i still had warranty. They are more than happy to tell you that you have warranty when you purchase the car but when something fucks up they won't back you.

So for sure get it on paper if they say you have warranty, because those mods DO VOID IT.

BigDannyCool
10-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
i asked about trade in on my wrx, and it's listed at 17,900 right now. :nut: dealers are selling them 27,000+. :nut: :nut:

:whocares:

max_boost
10-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Not if you can negotiate. And paying cash always helps. How would paying cash make a difference?! The dealership is getting paid regardless, either from the bank or you. If it's in house financing, monthly payments would be even better since they make more money on interest. I guess there's always the chance for defaulting on payments if that's what you are getting at with the cash argument. :dunno:

Anyway, I always negotiate NO GST on a used car. It's work everytime :D

And CRXguy, OWNED!!!! LOL:rofl: I know the feeling man:nut: You can probably get about $2K more if you trade it into a Subaru dealership.

GQNammer
10-06-2004, 11:15 PM
^^^

He was just explaining how much dealerships mark up used cars.
I remember a buddy sold his crx to T&T honda like 4 years ago, they gave him less than 2500 and they had a sticker price for $6,999.

P.S. Oops this msg was for the post above max_boost's :poosie:

fokker300zx
10-07-2004, 11:39 AM
you lucky guys in alberta.... in ontario you ALWAYS have to pay teh taxes on the market value of the car (not even the price you buy it for) in the red book, and buying a car from quebec and switching it over you ahve to pass the gay emissions test and pass the safety inspection... my 300 JUST passed (and i mean exactly on the limit) for the emissions test but i cna't pass the safety unless i get some body work done to the rear rocker panals... right down at the bottem in teh wheel well there is the TINIEST bit of corrosion and shops charage an arm and a leg to fix.... i'm gettin goff topic but the point is GST SUCKS

BigDannyCool
10-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by GQNammer
^^^

He was just explaining how much dealerships mark up used cars.
I remember a buddy sold his crx to T&T honda like 4 years ago, they gave him less than 2500 and they had a sticker price for $6,999.

P.S. Oops this msg was for the post above max_boost's :poosie:

I was just jokin around.. lol:drama:

CRXguy
10-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

And CRXguy, OWNED!!!! LOL:rofl: I know the feeling man:nut: You can probably get about $2K more if you trade it into a Subaru dealership.

I dont want to go through Subaru again! :nut: :D

rage2
10-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by fokker300zx
you lucky guys in alberta.... in ontario you ALWAYS have to pay teh taxes on the market value of the car (not even the price you buy it for) in the red book, and buying a car from quebec and switching it over you ahve to pass the gay emissions test and pass the safety inspection... my 300 JUST passed (and i mean exactly on the limit) for the emissions test but i cna't pass the safety unless i get some body work done to the rear rocker panals... right down at the bottem in teh wheel well there is the TINIEST bit of corrosion and shops charage an arm and a leg to fix.... i'm gettin goff topic but the point is GST SUCKS
You mean Ontario sucks. Judging from the post, it looks like you're bashing Ontario, not GST.

RickDaTuner
10-08-2004, 02:59 PM
a delear can mark up anything from 500 to 20k, back in the day when i used to move cars for Nissan we had a 2001 prelude come in from an auction they were selling it for 27k i think, mind you this was back in 2002, when i talked to the operations manager he told my they picked her up for the bargain price of 3k :eek:

so my advice would be milk them for all you can:thumbsup:

Xtrema
10-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Ask the most impossible number possible on your first offer and go from there.

As for that $3K Prelude, it's pobably from police auction or Canada revenue auction.

RickDaTuner
10-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Ask the most impossible number possible on your first offer and go from there.

As for that $3K Prelude, it's pobably from police auction or Canada revenue auction. from the Odessa auction where most of the used car delaers get thier cars..