PDA

View Full Version : Noise from wheels when turning.whats wrong?

AcidPower
11-20-2002, 09:30 PM
just got a more than 10yr old Nissan Presea.. not more than 1 month ago.

recently I notice some noise from my wheel when turning (small or big turn). The noise sound like something is rubbing against the tyre. This noise also occur when travelling at highway on a slightly uneven road..

however, this strange noise is not noticable at slow speed (below 20mps)

at first, suspect the drive-shaft, but check with car-mech, the drive-shaft seem new, all rubber cover is looking good. (but never check the internal berring)..

then, come to suspect the the shock absorbers.. cos' it seem abit old. cos' when the car "bounce" up and down at high-speed (abt 100mps) along the high-way.. noise occur too.

Anyone can advise me what wrong with my car..
it is the drive-shaft problem or the shock is wear-out and need replacment..

btw, anyone can explain to me if the drive-shaft is damage and when turning.. how the sound like? like something rubbing aginst the tyre or some metalic sound???

pls help... thanks

RickDaTuner
11-20-2002, 09:53 PM
when the drive shaft is damaged you will get a clunking sound comming from it, you will also experience slight wheel jerks

your problem sounds like its comming from a dry bearing or a worn one, in some cases i've hear a similar problem like this being caused by incorect size tyres

egmike
11-20-2002, 11:32 PM
Sounds like you need CV Joints, if the boot isn't ripped doesnt mean is is not worn out. I would put my money on those especially if always does it when you turn.

AcidPower
11-21-2002, 12:55 AM
so it seem like the problem of my drive-shaft CV joint is worn out.. and not (or unlikely) the shocks.. am I right?

however.. the problem only occur at higher speed (>30mps) and only when I turn LEFT... does that mean either my left or right drive shaft CV joint is worn out?

and how much will it cost to replace the drive-shaft.. in US$/piece?
can I only replace one drive-shaft (eg the left only)

ecstasy_civic
11-21-2002, 01:20 AM
could be a wheel bearing! those are damn hard to fix not to scare you or anything but it sounds like a metal on metal rubbing type of sound? just a thought.

Fuji
11-21-2002, 03:43 AM
I had that prob... it was a wheel bearing

shadowz
11-21-2002, 04:31 AM
Maybe youre rubbing cause your car is too low??:D

ToastiER
11-21-2002, 07:18 PM
My vote is also for the wheel bearing.

AcidPower
11-21-2002, 08:14 PM
thank guys :)

anyway.. I sent my car to the workshop this morning... have told the car mech that could be the wheel bearing worn out.. so he will check it ...

thanks guys..:D :)