PDA

View Full Version : 1000hp F1 engines

Boostn
10-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Check out this speedchannel article:

http://speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/13276/

Seems like deja vu, they're closing in on the 1000hp mark again. I haven't heard of 1000 hp in F1 since the good ole V6 turbo days of the late 80's. It seems like Honda is taking a huge step forward compared to the previous few seasons. There must be some serious engineering involved to crank out this kind of hp from a relatively small 3L N/A engine. Usually revs = hp so I wonder what the latest spec Honda will redline at? The article mentions MMC, doesn't Honda use that technology in their VTEC engines? I have a feeling they'll probably go with the new 2.4L V8 engine formula to cut back hp again just like they banned turbos previously.

SwitchBlade
10-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Good find i found it pretty interesting. So from what i gather it s just a stronger compound to reinorce cylinder walls?

rage2
10-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Boostn
There must be some serious engineering involved to crank out this kind of hp from a relatively small 3L N/A engine. Usually revs = hp so I wonder what the latest spec Honda will redline at?
The renaults and hondas were tapping 20,000rpm in qualifying trim. Displacement limits the amount of air in can pull in per revolution (torque), so revs is the only way to increase power (sucking more air in per minute). The higher the revs, the more the hp, nothing magical about it other than the material required to sustain such high cylinder wall loads, and pneumatic valve springs to allow valves to not float at that speed.

Originally posted by Boostn
The article mentions MMC, doesn't Honda use that technology in their VTEC engines?
lol you wish ;). Production car blocks share next to nothing in common with the NASA style F1 blocks.

Alpine Autowerks
10-06-2004, 10:20 PM
i though non metalic coumponds were banned for internal engine parts

rage2
10-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks
No, it was just one specific compound that ferrari was using, it was banned because careless handling would cause cancer or something. Can't remember the name of the actual compound though.

edit - it was Beryllium, McLaren and Ferrari were both using it.

Alpine Autowerks
10-07-2004, 06:41 PM
I was thinking of MMC .. but it was banned from the brake calipers.

rockym20
10-09-2004, 12:35 AM
I was reading somewhere that during testing, one of the teams had reached the maximum horsepower possible for the engine. The pistons were moving faster than the rate of explosion in the combustion chamber (like 5X the speed of sound or something crazy like that). Of course, the engine didn't last too long at that level...

iceburns288
10-09-2004, 11:06 PM
The recent F1 engines are 940bhp+ for good teams, ~900 for everyone but Ferrari lol.:burnout:

tulit
10-10-2004, 12:21 AM
No, it was just one specific compound that ferrari was using, it was banned because careless handling would cause cancer or something. Can't remember the name of the actual compound though.

edit - it was Beryllium, McLaren and Ferrari were both using it.

That's pretty dumb. They should ban the use of carbon fibre too. That stuff is way more hazardous than beryllium.

Beryllium is not a compound. It's a metal. Use it all the time for gas turbine design (super light, strong and extremely high melting point)

Alpine Autowerks
10-10-2004, 12:34 AM
I was refering to the MMC(metal matrix compound) mentioned in the link.