PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones & Cancer

Talies R
10-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Should I have fear of brain cancer as I'm a very frequent cell phone user?

Kona9
10-07-2004, 08:52 PM
yes.....................you may also want to stop breathing, looking , talking, drinking, eating....................and muchmore because they all cause cancer to!!:thumbsup:

WhiteNikes
10-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
yes.....................you may also want to stop breathing, looking , talking, drinking, eating....................and muchmore because they all cause cancer to!!:thumbsup:

Sounds stupid, but he's right. You pay attention to every little piece of carcinogen news you realize that just being alive puts you at risk. Of course you're not going to chain smoke whilst burining your skin in the sun, but I assume that you're at not much more appreciable risk than the general public.

///M3
10-09-2004, 01:01 PM
cell phones also make you infertile in males. thats why i try and always use a headset for longer calls.

Def_3
10-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by ///M3
cell phones also make you infertile in males. thats why i try and always use a headset for longer calls. :rofl: :rofl: can you say..........URBAN MYTH.......do some research and I'm sure you'll find you are just as likely to get cancer or other health problems from your microwave or other day to day products, imo same myth as a gas station blowing from a individual using his cell phone while filling up

Weapon_R
10-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Older phones may have emitted a conciderable amount of cancer-causing rays, but this is no longer the case anymore.

Talies R
10-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Older phones may have emitted a conciderable amount of cancer-causing rays, but this is no longer the case anymore.

Any links to back this up?

Zero102
10-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Umm, older phones could emit as much as 1W at the antenna. This much EM radiation right beside your head will have long term effects. Although there are no conclusive studies to prove this.
Most newer phones are 1/8W or so, plus I believe the antennas are now designed differently to help with the radiation problem.

Hmm, headset. Remember, the radiation causing part is the phone, and you put it where when you use the headset, on your belt? I wouldn't put that right beside my nuts. I would rather get brain cancer =)

FWIW, pretty much everything gives you cancer now, some things more than others. Smoking is definately far up on that list, as well as sun-tanning near the south-pole. But, cell phones are still pretty high up the list. Definately try cutting back on the cell phone usage. Oh yeah, and don't eat aspartame. It's proven to decompose into formaldehyde, which we all know is a carcinogen.

Shaolin
10-14-2004, 04:43 PM
there's an article today in the Sun about it..

Weapon_R
10-14-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Talies R

Any links to back this up?

www.google.com

GTS Jeff
10-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Talies R
Should I have fear of brain cancer as I'm a very frequent cell phone user?

no. theres the same kinda radiation being emitted in far greater quantities when u are in an office building.

cell phones also make you infertile in males. thats why i try and always use a headset for longer calls.

so instead u put the phone near your nuts? how does that help?

Originally posted by Weapon_R

www.google.com its one thing to google some driving directions or restaurant reviews; but its quite another to use it for scientific research.

GTS Jeff
10-14-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
Umm, older phones could emit as much as 1W at the antenna. This much EM radiation right beside your head will have long term effects. Although there are no conclusive studies to prove this.
Most newer phones are 1/8W or so, plus I believe the antennas are now designed differently to help with the radiation problem.

Hmm, headset. Remember, the radiation causing part is the phone, and you put it where when you use the headset, on your belt? I wouldn't put that right beside my nuts. I would rather get brain cancer =)

FWIW, pretty much everything gives you cancer now, some things more than others. Smoking is definately far up on that list, as well as sun-tanning near the south-pole. But, cell phones are still pretty high up the list. Definately try cutting back on the cell phone usage. Oh yeah, and don't eat aspartame. It's proven to decompose into formaldehyde, which we all know is a carcinogen. scientists that have researched these topics for years on end dont even consider themselves qualified to make such bold statements as u have. unless u have some real solid evidence, u cant say shit like that. it sounds like ure another victim of "self-appointed-newspaper-reading-scientist" disease.

for example, the reason why aspartame is still around is because even tho one of its byproducts of degradation is a carcinogen, it doesnt really do so in large enough amounts to pose a health risk. the fda carefully monitors and assesses very conservative levels for safe tolerable daily intake levels of substances.

///M3
10-14-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

haha no, i hold it in my hand or put it on a table. I never use a headset when im out, just at home when my home phone is busy.

RiCE-DaDDy
10-14-2004, 08:20 PM

FWIW, pretty much everything gives you cancer now, some things more than others. Smoking is definately far up on that list, as well as sun-tanning near the south-pole. But, cell phones are still pretty high up the list. Definately try cutting back on the cell phone usage. Oh yeah, and don't eat aspartame. It's proven to decompose into formaldehyde, which we all know is a carcinogen.

We would of seen health problems related with cell phones by now and we havent. Also, cell phones don't emit ionizing radiation, meaning their waves aren't small enough to affect somethin as small as cells.

Akagi Redsuns
10-14-2004, 08:29 PM
.............snip.

Actually my Motorola V400 which would considered pretty new has a PC4 rated supply.......which apparenty means that on a 1900 MHz GSM it can crank up the power to 1W or on a 850MHz channel its' rumored to go as high as 2W. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling......or is that the radiation from the phone? :)

Weapon_R
10-14-2004, 09:52 PM

its one thing to google some driving directions or restaurant reviews; but its quite another to use it for scientific research.

That's not my problem :D

I was just showing him where he could search about it.

GTS Jeff
10-14-2004, 10:17 PM

haha no, i hold it in my hand or put it on a table. I never use a headset when im out, just at home when my home phone is busy.

hm ok.

Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy

We would of seen health problems related with cell phones by now and we havent. Also, cell phones don't emit ionizing radiation, meaning their waves aren't small enough to affect somethin as small as cells.

:werd: and ppl say EM radiation like its a bad thing. lol. EM radiation is like EVERYTHING IN THE UNIVERSE.

Made_To_Love
10-20-2004, 10:19 PM
I do beleive that the constant use of a cell phone has some kind of negative effect on your brain. Three months ago I used to wake up every morning with a spliting headache. I thought it might have just been the way I slept or my pillow. Then my cell phone contract came to its end and I stopped using my cell phone. I used to use it more than my home phone and now I have not used it for more than a month and I have not had nearly as many headaches as I used to have. In fact I don't think I have more than one a week and I used to have one everyday. Call me crazy or whatever but I think Cell phones do affect your brain.

Khyron
10-20-2004, 10:49 PM
I remember watching a news story reporting a rather large study that was done in Britain on a british private school (since the kids all had cells and used them constantly). I don't remember the length of the study except that at the time it was in-conclusive.
Maybe search for that. The problem is all the crackpot studies (on both sides) muddy the waters - same with the asperteme studies.

Khyron

Khyron
10-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Here's one with a source:

The study at Finland's Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority found that exposure to radiation from mobile phones can cause increased activity in hundreds of proteins in human cells grown in a laboratory. Nonetheless the study, the initial findings of which were published June 2002, in the scientific journal Differentiation, raises new questions about whether mobile phone radiation can weaken the brain's protective shield against harmful substances. The study focused on changes in cells that line blood vessels and on whether such changes could weaken the functioning of the blood-brain barrier, which prevents potentially harmful substances from entering the brain from the bloodstream.

They also found that one hour of exposure to mobile phone radiation caused cultured human cells to shrink. The researchers believe this is triggered by a response that normally only happens when a cell is damaged. In a person, such changes could disable safety mechanisms that prevent harmful substances from entering the brain from the bloodstream. Radiation-induced changes in the cells could also interfere with the normal death process of apoptosis. If cells that are "marked" to die do not, tumors can form. The study found that a protein called hsp27 linked to the functioning of the blood-brain barrier showed increased activity due to irradiation and pointed to a possibility that such activity could make the shield more permeable, he said. Increased protein activity might cause cells to shrink--not the blood vessels but the cells themselves--and then tiny gaps could appear between those cells through which some molecules could pass.

xDiMSuMx
10-20-2004, 11:07 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

GTS Jeff
10-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Made_To_Love
I do beleive that the constant use of a cell phone has some kind of negative effect on your brain. Three months ago I used to wake up every morning with a spliting headache. I thought it might have just been the way I slept or my pillow. Then my cell phone contract came to its end and I stopped using my cell phone. I used to use it more than my home phone and now I have not used it for more than a month and I have not had nearly as many headaches as I used to have. In fact I don't think I have more than one a week and I used to have one everyday. Call me crazy or whatever but I think Cell phones do affect your brain. fuck lady, your psuedo-science is affecting MY brain.

Altezza
10-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Although the radiation emitted from cell phones is certainly non-ionizing, it does contribute (at the very least) to the temperature of your head. Every cell phone has a SAR rating...the higher the rating, the higher the amount of energy from the transmission that is absorbed by your head. Even at UofC, there is currently research on developing low-SAR antennas for cell phone use.

An old prof of mine once told our class, "I used to design and build cell phones for years. I don't own or use one. That tells you something."

Made_To_Love
10-21-2004, 11:44 PM
fuck lady, your psuedo-science is affecting MY brain.

I never said I was a doctor...I'm simply saying that I no longer use a cell phone and I no longer get headaches..I bet if I did go to a doctor they would say that they have some sort of a link

RiCE-DaDDy
10-22-2004, 01:04 AM
I do beleive that the constant use of a cell phone has some kind of negative effect on your brain. Three months ago I used to wake up every morning with a spliting headache. I thought it might have just been the way I slept or my pillow. Then my cell phone contract came to its end and I stopped using my cell phone. I used to use it more than my home phone and now I have not used it for more than a month and I have not had nearly as many headaches as I used to have. In fact I don't think I have more than one a week and I used to have one everyday. Call me crazy or whatever but I think Cell phones do affect your brain.

anectodal evidence = GARBAGE in science

GTS Jeff
10-22-2004, 12:32 PM

I never said I was a doctor...I'm simply saying that I no longer use a cell phone and I no longer get headaches..I bet if I did go to a doctor they would say that they have some sort of a link lol..

1. headaches are variable. they can come and go on their own.
2. many people are susceptible to something called the placebo effect. do a search on google if u dont know what that is. or ask your neighbor
3. headaches can be caused by many things. u likely overlooked many them.

ps. u are dumb.

Made_To_Love
10-22-2004, 02:14 PM
P.S.....you're not a doctor either and neither are any other people on this forum that I know of...so I guess they must be dumb too

QuasarCav
10-22-2004, 02:19 PM
I used to use one of the older "cancer phones" Now i dont use any cell phone. Did anything happen to me? No

Does this help anyone? No

Is GTSJeff a doctor? No

Is google a good resource in place of a doctor? No

Do cell phones cause cancer? Yes, everything causes cancer.

Made_To_Love
10-22-2004, 02:22 PM
I think GTS Jeff just likes to argue until he is right..which might not ever happen...just kidding.but personally if someone bought me a new cell phone right now I would probably refuse..just for my own satisfaction

QuasarCav
10-22-2004, 02:24 PM
He likes to argue, being right or wrong is secondary.

GTS Jeff
10-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
He likes to argue, being right or wrong is secondary. correction: gts jeff doesnt like dumb people. thats all. :D

P.S.....you're not a doctor either and neither are any other people on this forum that I know of...so I guess they must be dumb too haha do u realize that there are over 20000 members on beyond? hahaha what a cocky claim for u to make...actually, i know of more than one regular poster on beyond who are actual doctors.

anyway, my previous post didnt imply that im a doctor at all, i was simply stating the 3 classic counter-arguments to why anecdotal evidence cannot be held scientific. what u are doing is something called "ergo propter hoc." u are holding 2 separate events to be causally connected when no such relationship has been proven to exist. saying that your headaches went away by not using a cell phone is like saying that a roosters crowing caused the sun to rise in the morning.

u dont need to be a doctor to know common scientific methodology. im a 4th year biosci major, so i need to know about this sort of stuff.

so uhh...u can shut up now.

RiCE-DaDDy
10-23-2004, 04:48 AM
correction: gts jeff doesnt like dumb people. thats all. :D

haha do u realize that there are over 20000 members on beyond? hahaha what a cocky claim for u to make...actually, i know of more than one regular poster on beyond who are actual doctors.

anyway, my previous post didnt imply that im a doctor at all, i was simply stating the 3 classic counter-arguments to why anecdotal evidence cannot be held scientific. what u are doing is something called "ergo propter hoc." u are holding 2 separate events to be causally connected when no such relationship has been proven to exist. saying that your headaches went away by not using a cell phone is like saying that a roosters crowing caused the sun to rise in the morning.

u dont need to be a doctor to know common scientific methodology. im a 4th year biosci major, so i need to know about this sort of stuff.

so uhh...u can shut up now.

boom, case closed :D

three33
10-23-2004, 12:13 PM

sucahyo
01-12-2005, 01:41 AM
WHO (World Health Organization) has information on phone radiation (http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs193/en/) and shield.
I also have SAR Rating page (http://handphone.freetechbooks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=46) on my website

pixil9
01-12-2005, 03:07 AM
you're all fucking young and naive.. to the ones who make fun of him. There's many links to cancer like cellphones and it's all funny until you found out your dad who's a salesmen on his phone 12 hours a day has brain cancer.
Question to all you little 16-30 year people.. how long have you used a cell? 5-10 years wow? good for fucking you. You're all gonna die of cancer. just grow the fuck up and realize some shit you little fags.

abyss
01-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Oh yeah, and don't eat aspartame. It's proven to decompose into formaldehyde, which we all know is a carcinogen.

It's called "preserving yourself from the inside out" :D I'll be around FOREVER......:rofl:

1badPT
01-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Do cell phones cause cancer?

The fact of the matter is there is no definitive answer to this. There are studies that suggest there could be a link but again nothing definite.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007151.htm

Those who suggest there is a link say the most dangerous technology is TDMA followed by GSM because both methods transmit data in short bursts rather than a constant stream. For comparison's sake, microwave ovens work on a similar principle of cycling a microwave signal on and off very rapidly. There are studies that show TDMA/GSM phones can measurably increase the temperature of the head with use.

http://www.emf.com/cellphones.html

If it bothers you enough and you want to be safe, don't use them.

GTS Jeff
01-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by pixil9
you're all fucking young and naive.. to the ones who make fun of him. There's many links to cancer like cellphones and it's all funny until you found out your dad who's a salesmen on his phone 12 hours a day has brain cancer.
Question to all you little 16-30 year people.. how long have you used a cell? 5-10 years wow? good for fucking you. You're all gonna die of cancer. just grow the fuck up and realize some shit you little fags. oh please, you people who think that being 30+ makes you superior to the rest of the world simply tire me. unless u are a radiation physicist or have a career that would confer current knowledge of em radiation and its health effects, you are nothing.

at least a few of these "fucking young and naive" kids you refer to are learning about this kind of shit everyday from real scientists, unlike you, who believes that reading the morning paper with your morning coffee somehow makes u a brain cancer expert. :rolleyes:

all cellphone radiation conforms to fcc guidelines, which is good enough for me. though even the fcc makes mistakes, they are much better than you at assessing cell phone radiation risks, so ill believe them before you.

xkon
01-12-2005, 01:32 PM
oh please, you people who think that being 30+ makes you superior to the rest of the world simply tire me. unless u are a radiation physicist or have a career that would confer current knowledge of em radiation and its health effects, you are nothing.

at least a few of these "fucking young and naive" kids you refer to are learning about this kind of shit everyday from real scientists, unlike you, who believes that reading the morning paper with your morning coffee somehow makes u a brain cancer expert. :rolleyes:

all cellphone radiation conforms to fcc guidelines, which is good enough for me. though even the fcc makes mistakes, they are much better than you at assessing cell phone radiation risks, so ill believe them before you.

:werd: id me more concerned with the air downtown than cell phone radiation...

GTS Jeff
01-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by xkon

:werd: id me more concerned with the air downtown than cell phone radiation... haha yea actually the radiation emitted downtown is worse than any cell phone with all the machines and antennas around

koopkoop2
01-12-2005, 10:59 PM
I don't mean to get off topic, but I think someone who earlier stated "I hate dumb people" shouldn't go and contradict themselves in the same thread.

First, you said:

unless u are a radiation physicist or have a career that would confer current knowledge of em radiation and its health effects, you are nothing.

And then you go and make an inferential statement like this:

[B] haha yea actually the radiation emitted downtown is worse than any cell phone with all the machines and antennas around

Please explain how you came to the conclusion that extremely minute electrical noise, generated as a byproduct of running machinery, is worse then a dedicated microwave transmitter placed ~3cm from your head.

For someone who is adamant about proper science, this shouldn't be too tough.

GTS Jeff
01-13-2005, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by koopkoop2
For someone who is adamant about proper science, this shouldn't be too tough. I'm glad you asked :)

It's pretty simple actually. Last time I was at the dentist getting X-rays, he assured me that I receive a more damaging amount of radiation just from being in an office building. Being a dentist, he is well trained on how his machines work and how they affect his patients. We can also say with some certainty that a cell phone will emit less radiation than an X-ray machine. This leads us to this: office buildings > x-ray machine > cell phone, and therefore, being in an office building will expose you to more harmful radiation than using a cell-phone.

Talies R
01-23-2006, 02:35 AM
To update:

Study: No added cancer risk from mobile phones

Friday, January 20, 2006

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Using a mobile phone does not increase the risk of developing the most common type of brain tumor, according to a study on Friday.

After a four-year survey, scientists at the Institute of Cancer Research in London and three British universities found no link between regular, long-term use of cell phones and glioma.

"Overall, we found no raised risk of glioma associated with regular mobile phone use and no association with time since first use, lifetime years of use, cumulative hours of use, or number of calls," said Professor Patricia McKinney, of the University of Leeds, in a report in the British Medical Journal.

-----
Full article here: http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/01/20/cancer.mobiles.reut/index.html

90Tegra
01-23-2006, 09:09 AM
no mo phone sex on cell for me.

2000_SI
01-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by pixil9
Question to all you little 16-30 year people.. how long have you used a cell? 5-10 years wow? good for fucking you. You're all gonna die of cancer. just grow the fuck up and realize some shit you little fags.

Wow... I think reading your post will probably give people brain cancer...

Thanks for your useless waste of bandwidth Grandpa:thumbsup:

hash
01-23-2006, 06:21 PM
If you're looking for *REAL* scientific evidence, look at a peer-reviewed scientific journal... if multiple studies in some of the top journals agree, I'd be pretty inclined to believe it (It doesn't guarantee that something is true, but its pretty damn good evidence).

I've seen studies that show an increased risk of tumors that are NON-cancerous - usually slow-growing and may cause deafness and loss of balance... and may be life threatening if not treated (aka 'acoustic neuroma').

So yes, it can cause tumors, but likely not cancerous ones.
But then again, there are no absolutes in science. New studies might always come along later and disprove a once strongly held idea. So its your prerogative whether you want to use a cell phone or not. Something to think about atleast :nut:

Si_FlyGuy
01-23-2006, 06:45 PM
This leads us to this: office buildings > x-ray machine > cell phone, and therefore, being in an office building will expose you to more harmful radiation than using a cell-phone.

I'm going to print this out and tell my boss that I will be working at home from now on!:nut: