PDA

View Full Version : Tip For Cars w/o Power Steering

sabad66
10-07-2004, 10:36 PM
So today I noticed my tires were not as full as they should be so I stop by the Shell and fill them up. As soon as I started moving I noticed a huge difference in ease of steering. It felt like I actually had power steering my 91 Civic. If your car doesn't have power steering and it seems pretty hard to turn, try inflating the front tires a bit and you will notice a difference. Just thought i'd share.

GTS Jeff
10-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
So today I noticed my tires were not as full as they should be so I stop by the Shell and fill them up. As soon as I started moving I noticed a huge difference in ease of steering. It felt like I actually had power steering my 91 Civic. If your car doesn't have power steering and it seems pretty hard to turn, try inflating the front tires a bit and you will notice a difference. Just thought i'd share. haha how low was the tire pressure, what did u fill up to, and do u realize that tire pressure changes with temperature? if the tires are hot u should fill them up more than the standard 30psi.

sabad66
10-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Well they weren't THAT bad. I had the hose on it for about 10-15 seconds and that was all but it made a huge difference. I'd say about 40% easier to steer. I find that awesome.

GTS Jeff
10-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Well they weren't THAT bad. I had the hose on it for about 10-15 seconds and that was all but it made a huge difference. I'd say about 40% easier to steer. I find that awesome. man u didnt even check the tire pressure? it takes like 2 seconds and all gas stations will lend u a pressure checker to use.

u should make sure your tire pressures are even all around and properly inflated. this will at the very least improve your gas mileage.

Xtrema
10-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Well they weren't THAT bad. I had the hose on it for about 10-15 seconds and that was all but it made a huge difference. I'd say about 40% easier to steer. I find that awesome.

Comments like this show me that you're in no condition to give advice.

Follow your tire's spec. Keep it around 30-32psi.

Don't just pump air for 10-15 sec, guage IT! It'll blow on you plus you'll have uneven tire wear. It's easier to steer because now only the center thread is contacting the road but not the rest of the tires like this \/ instead of (_).

And just an heads up, deflating tire in winter is also a big no no. You ain't driving on glacier.

dirty_magic
10-07-2004, 11:26 PM
i know that i prefer a bit below the proper inflation pressure. My idea behind this is that there is more surface area on the road. But then again, here its already snowing, and black ice is very common, not to mention snow usually covers the roads completely. But, I do always check the pressure to make sure they are even, there is a method to my madness, haha.

Gspotracer
10-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Always make sure there is at least 10-15 seconds of air in your tires, just to be safe:rolleyes:

GTS Jeff
10-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by dirty_magic
i know that i prefer a bit below the proper inflation pressure. My idea behind this is that there is more surface area on the road. But then again, here its already snowing, and black ice is very common, not to mention snow usually covers the roads completely. But, I do always check the pressure to make sure they are even, there is a method to my madness, haha. actually, more surface area is baaad for winter driving. narrower tires with less SA will "bite" into snow better, creating more grip.

think about it. wider skis/snowboards slide faster over snow dont they?

GT2NV
10-08-2004, 12:32 PM
i keep my fronts at 30 psi and rears at 35, haha maybe i think it helps me launch faster:rofl: :dunno:

Gonthro
10-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by black94gt
i keep my fronts at 30 psi and rears at 35, haha maybe i think it helps me launch faster:rofl: :dunno:

did you use racing air too?

Xtrema
10-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro

I've heard helium will reduce rotation weight since it's lighter than air.

QuasarCav
10-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

But then it throws you shocks out of alignment.

I'm selling racing air camber kits for only 199.99, PM for details.

GTS Jeff
10-08-2004, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Xtrema

Originally posted by QuasarCav

But then it throws you shocks out of alignment.

I'm selling racing air camber kits for only 199.99, PM for details.

wtf are u guys talking about? filling tires with helium is bike thing (and even then its dumb) and race cars use nitrogen if anything because its less susceptible to pressure change from temperature change, while helium is more susceptible.

and how the shit does using different gases in your tires affect alignment? even if it did (which it doesnt) the difference would be so tiny that the stock adjustability of most cars for camber is likely enuff to correct it, so u dont need camber plates.

RickDaTuner
10-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

wtf are u guys talking about? filling tires with helium is bike thing (and even then its dumb) and race cars use nitrogen if anything because its less susceptible to pressure change from temperature change, while helium is more susceptible.

and how the shit does using different gases in your tires affect alignment? even if it did (which it doesnt) the difference would be so tiny that the stock adjustability of most cars for camber is likely enuff to correct it, so u dont need camber plates.

:rolleyes: thats the smillie they bolth forgot to post :dunno: :thumbsup:

badseed
10-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Gspotracer
Always make sure there is at least 10-15 seconds of air in your tires, just to be safe:rolleyes:

I personally like 15-17 seconds of air

QuasarCav
10-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

:rolleyes: thats the smillie they bolth forgot to post :dunno: :thumbsup:

Thanks, I didn't think anyone would take that seriously. Must be a hard day at school.

Xtrema
10-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Sorry Jeff, smiles doesn't work with my browser @ work. :( <= I have to type that in.

GT2NV
10-08-2004, 04:07 PM

shutup t3rry

GTS Jeff
10-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

:rolleyes: thats the smillie they bolth forgot to post :dunno: :thumbsup: oh. hmm. well. :angel: :(