PDA

View Full Version : I made a mistake changing my tires. Please advise.

StupidIdiot
10-08-2004, 01:00 PM
So it's something I've done many times before: changed my tires from summer to all weather. No problems. Today however, I started jacking up the car in the wrong place. Don't ask me why I just was not paying attention. Anyway I put it on the little rise on the underside of the car and as a result of jacking it up it has become dented. It doesn't look bad. It did not break through the chasis, it's just crushed like someone hit it with a hammer. I feel like a total idiot beause it's a newbie mistake. It this a serious problem?

-StupidIdiot.

Here's a pic. It's blurred because I couldn't get far enough away from it will my camera.

http://s87320292.onlinehome.us/pics/stupididiot.jpg

Xtrema
10-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Zoom out and locate the dent?

I don't think it'll be a big deal, since that bump doesn't look like a conduit for wires or pipes.

Gonthro
10-08-2004, 01:41 PM
you're fine, you just dented the floor up a bit... didn't get any wire or lines, dont worry about it, its purely cosmetic

StupidIdiot
10-08-2004, 01:41 PM
It's right in the centre of the car on the left hand side, about 3-4 inches in from the side.

Old 1988 honda civic.

What an idiot.

Xtrema
10-08-2004, 01:55 PM
The only danger it posess is that spot will rust and you fall thru the floor. Especially that you guys use salt on road in winter.

Just get it patched and get a new coat of undercarridge spray.

Kaos
10-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
The only danger it posess is that spot will rust and you fall thru the floor. Especially that you guys use salt on road in winter.

Just get it patched and get a new coat of undercarridge spray.

Ontario still uses salt?

GTS Jeff
10-08-2004, 02:34 PM
is this right behind the rocker panel? if so, dont even worry about it.

tirebob
10-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Man, working in a tire shop, at least 40% the freakin' cars that roll through the door have these types of dents from improper jacking... It really isn't anything to worry about, as long as the metal has not been broken through. A dent won't hurt a thing...

Weapon_R
10-09-2004, 05:04 AM
Don't sweat it.

StupidIdiot
10-09-2004, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys.

I don't claim to know anything about cars beyond basic maintenance (although this episode would fly against that claim!)

Still if you guys had said that that very location was where something like the flux capacitor critical transistor array was located I might have believed you. ;)

Thanks again.