PDA

View Full Version : Test Drive Advice

sexualbanana
10-08-2004, 01:16 PM
I've been told by my parents to test drive a few cars for them, so I can help them decide which one to buy.

Now the problem is, I'm 21, but I look like I'm 12. Therefore I doubt any dealership will take me seriously.

As far as I've figured, I should at least dress nice so I don't look like a punk kid trying to waste a salesman's time. But does anyone else have any sort of advice?

lam-boy
10-08-2004, 01:20 PM
I believe calling in advance would help.

Aleks
10-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I've been told by my parents to test drive a few cars for them, so I can help them decide which one to buy.

Now the problem is, I'm 21, but I look like I'm 12. Therefore I doubt any dealership will take me seriously.

As far as I've figured, I should at least dress nice so I don't look like a punk kid trying to waste a salesman's time. But does anyone else have any sort of advice?

Yeah don't go to Tower Crysler! :thumbsdow

wouldn't let me testdrive an SRT-4. the salesman looked younger than me...i phoned renfrew and they said to bring my licence and test drive it all i want. :dunno:

ramminghard
10-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Put a for sale signin your car window. Has actaually helped before. Makes you look more serious about getting a new car.

QuasarCav
10-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Some places will have a problem regardless of what you are wearing.

Call ahead, explain the situation and I'm sure something can be worked out. After all if you are treated poorly i'm sure you'll pass that on to your parents.

BumpinTalon
10-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Drive up the fanciest car your family has and make sure everybody sees it. If you look like money -- they'll try to sell you a car, and then just tell them you aren't about to buy something you've never driven.

Xtrema
10-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Bring a business card if you can.

Talk mature.

Try to bring out what competitors you have in mind.

What did you parent asked you to try? Sometimes, driving in with a 96 Civic and ask for a SL500 is not that believable.

GTS Jeff
10-08-2004, 02:58 PM

As far as I've figured, I should at least dress nice so I don't look like a punk kid trying to waste a salesman's time. But does anyone else have any sort of advice? imo u shouldnt need to do anything other than being respectable. THEYRE the ones who should be bending over backwards for YOU, not the other way around. after all, theyre the ones who are trying to convince u to give them money..

so basically, if they wont take u seriously, then dont take them seriously and find a better salesman.

Aleks
10-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
imo u shouldnt need to do anything other than being respectable. THEYRE the ones who should be bending over backwards for YOU, not the other way around. after all, theyre the ones who are trying to convince u to give them money..

so basically, if they wont take u seriously, then dont take them seriously and find a better salesman.

I agree completely!

eb0i
10-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
imo u shouldnt need to do anything other than being respectable. THEYRE the ones who should be bending over backwards for YOU, not the other way around. after all, theyre the ones who are trying to convince u to give them money..

:werd:

only in Calgary (or perhaps the entirety of Canada) do Car salesman act all high and mighty. Go over to Cali and they bend over backwards for you when you are looking for a car.

If they treat you like shit, don't buy from there. You shouldn't have to dress up.....it's not a wedding/graduation (or anything requiring formal or semi-formal attire), you're buying a car :thumbsup:

Xtrema
10-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by eb0i

:werd:

only in Calgary (or perhaps the entirety of Canada) do Car salesman act all high and mighty. Go over to Cali and they bend over backwards for you when you are looking for a car.

If they treat you like shit, don't buy from there. You shouldn't have to dress up.....it's not a wedding/graduation (or anything requiring formal or semi-formal attire), you're buying a car :thumbsup:

On the contrary, every dealship (Sunridge Mazda, Sunridge and Stadium Nissan, Siverhill Acura, All Honda, Kia, Calgary BMW, Heritage Toyota, Volvo, Audi) I went into just chat for a bit and keys would be in my hands. Just a copy of driver's license and I will have that car for hours. Salemen rarely comes with me (could be a bad thing, I almost rolled a S40 on deerfoot/glenmore exit during a test drive.)

The only time I got snobish responds is Stampede Toyota.

statick
10-08-2004, 08:10 PM
im not sure wut ur wantin to testdrive... but charlesglen toyota was pretty good for stuff like this wen i went

illeagle
10-08-2004, 08:18 PM
don't take any of the salesman's shit.. Your the boss. My buddy has the same problem as you gav.. He's 29, owns a house, but looks like he's 20.. He went hunting for a new car a year ago. A guy from platinum mitsubishi actually told him he diden't want his time to be wasted and walked away on my friend. He's the type of person that gets walked on, and lets people get away with it... BTW: He was looking at a top model 2003 eclipse.. Then he goes accross the street to ford to look at some new GT mustangs, and no one would come help him!.. finally sunridge nissan sold him a SpecV and actually took care of him..

JordanLotoski
10-08-2004, 08:25 PM
go in there say id like to test drive this car..if they say no say id ,like to speak to your sales manager.....give them shit..i dont put up with that shit

t-im
10-08-2004, 08:36 PM
i've never had a problem test driving cars..just chat a bit and tell them what I want and what I drive..
and i usually just go in shorts and look pretty blah..because it's usually never planned...and then they usually just give me the keys and don't go along (they always ask if i want them to or not)

FiveFreshFish
10-08-2004, 08:41 PM

If they are ultimately going to be owning and driving the car, why not take them along on the test drive?

Obviously, they value your opinion but their input counts too, so why test drive solo?