PDA

View Full Version : CHAMP cars coming to Alberta ??

fast95pony
10-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Just read on the the CSCC site that Edmonton and maybe Calgary are getting a CHAMP car race next year. Edmonton is in July and they are looking for 300 volunteers already. Next year COULD be very exciting !! :thumbsup:

Anyone heard any more news on this ??

Z_Fan
10-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Everything I've heard always says 'tentative'.

I noticed though that Elkart Lake is still not on the schedule. But this has been going on for a long time now...saying Calgary will be the site of the 4th Canadian CHAMP Car race.

I hope so, just because most people have no clue how fast these cars are. TV does not do them justice. Seeing & hearing them roar by you at 230+ mph is just out of this world.

I guess in Calgary they'd never find a place to get them going that fast, but still, any track would have a decent length straight and it wouldn't take much to get them 200+mph.

They turn like they are on rails.

fast95pony
10-08-2004, 04:21 PM
I had a memorable day at the Toronto Indy a few years ago.I worked for Canadian and we did a charter for Molson's about a week before Indy. We were given some VIP tickets to practice (Friday) and I went with 4 flight attendants.I had LOTS of fun with the girls,and they used their charms to get some autographs for me :D . We also had access to Molson's VIP beer tent.
Free booze and four nice girls to hang with and watch race cars .
:drool:

BigMass
10-08-2004, 05:09 PM
if they can find a place in Monaco to race F1 cars, they can definitely find a place in Calgary to race champ cars. Make it a road course through an area of the city. Nobody goes into downtown on weekends anyways. Take advantage of that and be creative. If any province in Canada has the money to make this happen it is Alberta. Its a matter of having the balls to step up to the plate on make things happen. It would be great to have Calgary be associated with something other than the Stampede.

rage2
10-08-2004, 06:25 PM
If it's coming to Calgary, it's gonna be either the Stampede grounds at a cost of $8M a year to run a temporary course there, or $10M of renovations at Race City to host the event on the road course.

If the city foots the $10M bill to race city to build that course, that would be ideal, because all of us would be able to rent and run on a Champ Car quality roadcourse :thumbsup:. But I really can't see the city just handing $10M over to a private company (race city).

Z_Fan
10-08-2004, 11:39 PM
It would be nice if they could figure something out and make this happen.

The streets through down town - none of them could be used. They are just way too bumpy to think about driving a CHAMP car across. They'd have to do some serious work on the 'circuit' they chose before they could run.

It would be nice to build something at Race City - but I can't see it happening either. It makes more sense to run it down town (or close proximity). Viewing the race would be a huge issue at Race City IMO.

rage2
10-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
It would be nice to build something at Race City - but I can't see it happening either. It makes more sense to run it down town (or close proximity). Viewing the race would be a huge issue at Race City IMO.
Thus, the $10M infusion required. The road course doesn't even have pits for the cars. It'd be a new build, new pits, garages, stands, etc. and turning it into a real racetrack. Thus the $10M suggested retail pricetag. ;)

Imagine if that was done... we'd have an AWESOME facility for us to use!

BigMass
10-08-2004, 11:48 PM
the city should buy out Race City and then the money infusion wouldn’t seem as bad to the public since it would not be a private company. The city would benefit greatly from tourism so I don’t see why the public would be against it. It would add a touch of culture that is needed in Calgary.

Z_Fan
10-08-2004, 11:56 PM
If Calgary actually did have a nice track, no one would come anyhow. LOL.

I mean, it'd be nice if you had a CHAMP car contract for 5 years or something. But it would take so much more than just that to make money...

But I agree it would be nice to have an AWESOME facility to use. But I think the track day costs would have to quadruple. That might be the downside.

I'd pay 400 to race around Laguna Seca for a day. Who the heck wouldn't...

Hmmm, anyone got a spare $10 million?

SOAB
10-08-2004, 11:59 PM
it would take alot more than 10mil to get race shitty to have all that done. the best bet (cheapest) is to have it held in the inner city somewhere. stampede sounds the most likely.

rage2
10-09-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
it would take alot more than 10mil to get race shitty to have all that done. the best bet (cheapest) is to have it held in the inner city somewhere. stampede sounds the most likely.
Like I mentioned, Race City poses to be a cheaper one time cost. Stampede would be a recurring cost, so after 5 years the price tag would be REAL pricey!

fast95pony
10-09-2004, 08:41 AM
Looks like the Edmonton race would be held at the City Centre Airport.Lots of room for passing :thumbsup: