PDA

View Full Version : SAIT Firewall

Shaolin
10-08-2004, 05:19 PM
There probably isn't a way around it, but I thought i'd ask anyways.. is there a way for me to play games on sites that require connection to a server here at SAIT? I'm trying to play some Holdem at Pokerroom.com but I can't connect to the dam server..

I'm guessin there's no way around it, but I thought i'd ask anyways.. thanx.

seer_claw
10-08-2004, 11:52 PM
Not that I have found. The firewall really limits the amount of fun things that you can do. :( No downloading music at stupidly high rates either. :banghead:

crazyning
10-09-2004, 12:03 AM
I've heard of people using "tunneling" software to circumvent SAIT's firewall. For basic tunneling service at about ~8 kbps, it was free, but for higher speeds, you'd have to pay a monthly fee. I can't recall the website that provided this service, but maybe someone else knows about it.

I've found that at SAIT, you can access outside newsservers. I think it's because newsservers run on the same port as email, and as a result, I've been able to download a considerable amount each day.

wildrice
10-09-2004, 12:08 AM
yea, they've changed around the ports

i tried playing games with other friends in class
didn't work

HOWEVER, i did happen to get NetBig2 running

Khyron
10-09-2004, 12:09 AM
If it's just ports you need open, you run a port forwarder on a home computer, say 25 -> 5500 or whatever you need. Then you connect to your home machine on the open 25 which gets bounced to the blocked 5500. Worked for me back before I was the guy in charge of the rules. :D

Khyron

interlude
10-09-2004, 02:45 AM
When I attended SAIT.. we used a tunneler.. you will have to find one that works. The only problem was.. even if we were successful. Downloading music from kazaa (at the time) was still slow. But that was April last year. Im pretty sure they woul have patched it by now

Davetronz
10-09-2004, 07:37 PM
If you run through a proxy server everything works flawlessly ;)

Shaolin
10-09-2004, 08:01 PM
got any proxy servers handy? :D

spike98
10-10-2004, 05:33 PM
How do i go about getting the WIFI WEP code so i can surf in class? Do you have to pay for it?

Anyone want to give it to me?

SilentGiant
10-10-2004, 08:16 PM
you cant buy it. it is set up by the owner of the network...so it can only allow wanted users on...

however...there is software that can crack it...of course you are on your own to get this. :)

try to find one that doesnt need WEP look for Ad Hoc.

gorillam
10-11-2004, 01:19 AM
Whoa whoa whoa whoa slow down there guys...
Setting up a tunner to get past sait's firewall to play multiplayer games,

WOW!

I never knew life would come to that.

Toms-SC
10-11-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by gorillam

WOW!

No shit eh

Davetronz
10-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by gorillam

WOW!

Come on its not all about the games, remote desktopping and file sharing is blocked too ;)

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-12-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm looking at the same problem... Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I didn't want to make a new one... Anyone ever get aroung the blocking? I've seen some guys playing WoW thru a proxy... But I can't seem to figure it out... Any suggestions?

forced14
04-12-2006, 07:09 PM
With remote desktop, you can set which port you want it to listen on at your end site somewhere in the registry, as far as i know, the ports 20 through 23 are open, as well as 443. I use 23 for RDP, and 22 for SSH.

When it comes to proxies, just search for proxy listings, there are alot out there.

When it comes to using that port for RDP, all you have to do is when you specify your end location in remote desktop is use the location:

somedomain.com:23

And when it comes to using the wireless, i know the library has a very good signal and you use your sait login credentials for username and password there, but you cant actually use windows to connect to it, you have to use third party software that should have come with your laptop.

--forced