PDA

View Full Version : Indian Motorcycle Question

drake1972
10-09-2004, 06:17 PM
2003 Indian Scout Deluxe Springfield Edition

I am trying to confirm something I heard about my bike: I have been told that it is the only one of its kind in the color black in Canada. I'm not sure,, maybe someone can help me confirm or deny this. It was an Indian Motorcyle dealer that told me this..

I won the bike on a draw and I can't decide if I should put it on the road or not. Might be better to put it under glass for awhile.

Any help would be appreciated.

I apologize in advance if this is an improper post or in the wrong section. I'm fricking new eh.

method
10-09-2004, 06:32 PM
sell it.
whether it's a special edition or not, those things are horribly unreliable, and now that the indian factory has gone under again, parts are dwindling.

once again: sell it.

notpatrickduffy
10-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Whoa there! Keep that shit! Think about it, if Indian is down for good... give it a decade... that thing'll be worth a ton!

Keep it as original as you can, don't ride it too hard, and enjoy that shit.

Or, give it to me. I wouldn't mind it.

rss
10-10-2004, 01:20 AM
friend of mine has a 40 chief full restored, won many trophies with it.. appraised @ over $40K

method
10-10-2004, 01:44 AM
yeah keep it for a few decades and it'll be worth plenty.

if he wants to ride a bike, it shouldnt be that one.

Kona9
10-10-2004, 03:57 AM
Funny you ask!! I used to be the Sales and Marketing manager for Indian Motorcycle Here in Calgary.

Honestly I say keep it in as good of Condition as possible!

The rarety of your bike is pretty much that.....RARE. Your particular model is only made for the one year. It's the "Springfield edition" because it is made as a memory bike from the "Original Indian Motorcycles" were manufactured in Springfield Massachussets, up until 1953. Which makes it one of the "100" year bikes from when Indian Started in 1903. One year BEFORE Harley Davidson started.;)

The pinstriping and Logo on your tank are a sign of it being a "Springfield edition Scout" The double gold pinstriping and the larger logo immitate that of the Indian Chiefs Springfield edition in 1953. The 2003 Springfields Scout, Spirit, and Chief all came in only Jet Black and Deep red, and there are VERY few in Canada.

A far as parts go.....I'm sorry to say That Method is Wrong!! The Indian Scouts came with an S&S 88 cubic inch Super Stock engine and is VERY reliable. It's a rigid mounted 45 degree Vtwin and has more balls than you would expect from an 88. S&S has been around for 45 years and has an amazing name in the Vtwin industry. As far as the other workings of the bike.........you will be impressed with the reliability. It's an American Vtwin.....Maintain it and you will see no issues.

As far as recalls go the only thing I suggest you do is go look for the newer Style headlight bracket. You will probably get the whole new headlight but unfortunately you will have to pay as there is no Warranty due to the shutdown of the Main factory. If you do not change this the possibility of the headlight seperating and possibly falling off over due time is iminent. Get it changed...It's just a bad bracket, but you will have a bitch of a time getting "Indian Tear Drop Glass" anytime soon and at a decent price.

If you need good honest advice....and an excellent Indian and Vtwin Mechanic.........Go see Andrew McNeil at "Forged" custom cycle works....formerly Indian Motorcycle Calgary located at 1311 1st St SW (Shares the same parking lot as Chocolate Condos sales center which is kiddy corner to Cherry Lounge) Go to the back where the bay door is. That is the new entrance. Tell them Knud (kanoot) sent you.:thumbsup: He will take care of you.

Attached are pictures of the Scouts I rode and Sold. ( blue Scout Standard... Red Scout Deluxe ) I only sold 6 bikes but that is all they had until the Factory Shutdown.:thumbsdow

Any more questions.........Pm me or ask on here.
Thanks
Ken

Kona9
10-10-2004, 04:00 AM
deluxe

method
10-10-2004, 01:50 PM
really? I heard a billion horror stories... did they finally step up their manufacturing before the demise of the company or what?

Kona9
10-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Not sure what you mean by "Step up" Method. The funny and ironic thing about the factory and head office is it was the record sales year ever for Indian. It was run by a bunch of money hungry un-educated in business rehabs. The company had 9 vice presidents and they worked the company into the ground by pocketing all profit upon its arrival.

There were a few problems with the 2002 Chiefs as it was the first year for the proprietory engine...the "Powerplus 100" All problems and recalls were taken care of, and by mid 2003 all the powerplus engines became a pretty solid engine for the Chiefs.

We were actually on our way within a days time to Las Vegas for the Motorcycle show when head office phoned and said "dont bother coming" as they shut down. There were semi trucks full of bikes already there and unloading when they were told to pack up and head back to the factory.

In all honesty I would buy an Indian Motorcycle to this day, having the experience I did with them. You got more for your money than Harley could offer you on a comparible bike. The amount of chrome you got alone on a stock Indian of any Model, was way more than you could get from a factory Harley. That is one of Harleys Sales and marketing tools. "Dont put alot of chrome on the bike so the customer comes back for a crap load of accessories." Smart in one way, but much easier to spend equal if not a fraction more to get what you want off the bat. Trust me as few Indians there are out there, the owners of them are pretty damn proud of their purchases. I know I would be:thumbsup:

drake1972
10-12-2004, 06:38 AM
Thanks a million Kona9! Thats more info then I could have hoped for. It has been unbelievably dificult to find out much info about that particular bike. Personally, I love the look and feel of the bike. I have only rode it up the street and back, but I am hopeful that I will be able to put some time in on it next summer. I might end up having to sell it, but I sure hope I can use it for one season anyhow. Hell...I carry a picture of it in my wallet...

Once again, thank you very much.

and thanks to anyone else who offered there opinion/advice.