PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the NEW 2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4?

SilverRex
11-21-2002, 08:14 PM
How many of you would actually buy this car? whats your feedback

SilverRex
11-21-2002, 08:19 PM
2003 Dodge NEON SRT-4

"The Neon SRT-4 rips to 60 mph in 5.6 seconds, to 100 in 13.8, covers a quarter-mile in 14.2 seconds at 102 mph, and keeps on huffin' all the way to 153 mph.

It's equally clear that this particular Neon can run with bigger dogs. Subie's precocious Impreza WRX, for example, and even pricey sports sedans such as the Audi A4 and BMW 330i.

2.4-liter SOHC 16-valve four enough to raise its output from 150 horsepower and 162 pound-feet of torque to 215 horsepower and 245 pound-feet. Those are both pretty hefty numbers for a modest long-stroke four-banger — the same engine used in the Chrysler PT Cruiser — but it's the torque that really gets the SRT-4 out of the starting blocks, with a nice flat curve that peaks early and stays peaked for a long time. And thanks to a small turbine gallery, maximum boost — between 11 and 14 psi, depending on conditions — comes up quickly. That's the same boost and output as the PT Cruiser GT's turbo engine, by the way. But hitched to a car that weighs in some 500 pounds lighter than the GT, and allied with a manual transmission, it produces more dramatic test results. "

cocoabrova
11-21-2002, 08:56 PM
If legendboy isn't able to build my turbo kit, I might pick one up. I actually NEED something a little more practical:( :rofl:

finboy
11-21-2002, 09:05 PM
with a couple changes it would be nice.

szw
11-21-2002, 09:23 PM
Depending on price, I would have seriously considered it if it was out while I was car-shopping in the summer,

GTS Jeff
11-21-2002, 09:33 PM
good performance, ugly as sin

Ben
11-21-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
good performance, ugly as sin

:werd:

That spoiler has to go...

Very respectable performance, but they need an all new design platform...try something new!!!

HRD2PLZ
11-21-2002, 09:36 PM
I guess its not bad overall. I would never buy one though.

5.9 R/T
11-21-2002, 09:41 PM
Why does everyone keep calling it a SOHC motor? It's DOHC.

Ben
11-21-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

No Shit, sure looks like a DOHC to me

http://www.caranddriver.com/image_cache/DATA/Caranddriver/images/2002/december/0212_srt4_engine.jpg

Stratus_Power
11-21-2002, 09:57 PM
it probably wont be on my top 5 cars i want to get if i have 28k... but i wouldn't mind or be in shame if i were to drive

speedracer
11-21-2002, 10:00 PM
Everyone thinks it's the magnum engine.. or no one bothers to read the real stats.

Sadly the ACR gear heads have moved up to the Viper team :(

Can't wait next year when they dominate the Rally series!

spyderman
11-21-2002, 10:09 PM
Those stats are really impressive. :thumbsup:

szw
11-21-2002, 10:18 PM
I don't think that spoiler is too bad. Looks only about mid-wing size.

I do however think they should paint their side-mirrors. I hate it when they arne't painted!

SilverRex
11-21-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by szw
I don't think that spoiler is too bad. Looks only about mid-wing size.

I do however think they should paint their side-mirrors. I hate it when they arne't painted!

ya even if everyone hates it, the fact is, with a car this high performence and low price (cheaper than wrx) it will get its own attention..

not to mention so many neon owners, imagine they are trade in this one..

man we wrx owners will have a tough time to compete in the 0-60 department,

dam where is my evo/sti.. I need those.. NOW:dunno:

mwmhong
11-21-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

It's because of that C&D typo. Also, the S and D key are right next to each other. :)

The one major thing I really don't like about it is the fact they have only 4 colors and I don't like any of them.
At least the WRX and RSX have blue .
How could they forget blue ? :banghead:
Plus it's 4 doors :thumbsdow

Choices:

1. Buy SRT-4 and have it repainted blue.

2. Or keep the nice, 2-door blue car I have and get a Hahn Racecraft Stage 2 turbo kit installed. :burnout:

SilverRex
11-21-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong

At least the WRX and RSX have blue .

well if its blue I think the front will look like a wrx..lol those bug eye headlights.. dam who is copying who:confused:

///M Power
11-21-2002, 11:46 PM
I don't know if I'd get it, but those stats are damn impressive.

Ben
11-21-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex

not to mention so many neon owners, imagine they are trade in this one..

AAHAHAHAHAHAHA...It's not as if current neon owners can just roll into the dealership and trade in thier current neon...96's go for like 4-5 grand...lucky to get 3500 on trade...I've seen 2000's going for 8-9g...

people bought neons cause they were a realativly inexpensive and realatively reliable mode of transport...this new RT thing is double the price of what the ones go for now...

its going to appeal to an entirely new group, unfortunatly, its braun will be inhibited by its past image IMO...in due time...there was once a time when people scoffed at the idea a VW could cost more than 30 grand...this was less than a decade ago...

lammer
11-22-2002, 10:49 AM

well if its blue I think the front will look like a wrx..lol those bug eye headlights.. dam who is copying who:confused:

um, im not really sure but i think that the neons has had those lights for while now.

speedracer
11-22-2002, 12:35 PM

Subie owners have been complaining for the logest time since it's introduction of copying chrylser's neon head lights :)

4wheeldrift
11-23-2002, 08:25 PM
No LSD, no thanks. Otherwise it looks quite good IMO. Good specs, excellent performance and amazing price.

Boost Infested
11-23-2002, 08:31 PM
Dream on ladies.... its only limited production in the states only...thats too bad.. but who said you cant order the engine from the dealer...?

but you can get this engine in a pt cruiser gt.

ps: i think the srt-4 looks really good but minus the shopping kart spoiler. thats just my opinion.:thumbsup:

Boost Infested
11-23-2002, 08:34 PM
oh by the way, mopar do offers stage 1, 2, and 3 factory bolt on parts to make it into 300hp... it was at the sema show..:thumbsup:

B18C
11-23-2002, 08:34 PM
Great bang-for-your-buck :thumbsup:

If I was looking for a new car I'd definitely give this car a look. I'm very impressed. Can't wait to see this car on the street! It'll embarass a lot of much higher priced cars for sure.

speedracer
11-23-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Boost Infested
oh by the way, mopar do offers stage 1, 2, and 3 factory bolt on parts to make it into 300hp... it was at the sema show..:thumbsup:
Hell yeah :thumbsup: As for no LSD it's already in the works...:clap: THen again it's nothing quaif can't solve.

And like Boost Infested said it's limited production for US. (*hint* start a rally team and maybe DC wil sell you one).

Boost Infested
12-02-2002, 12:34 AM
http://www.apexparts.com/pics/upgkit4.jpg

http://www.apexparts.com/pics/upgkit3.jpg

http://www.apexparts.com/pics/upgkit2.jpg

sirius
12-02-2002, 12:43 AM
fricken, the spoiler on that is fricken huge... It comes "rice" from the factory.:rofl:

yes, the specs are impressive, but I question the reliability of these cars 2,3, 6 years down the line... don't think for that price, they'll be too robust.

...eventually u get what u pay for.