PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 944 restoring/repairing

iiinycboi
10-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Ok, so i just got a porsche '86 944 from my brother. I want to restore it to a good condition, so i can bring it to the track. The problem is i have little knowledge on car mechanic. I would like to get the car running before i start restoring other parts of the car. The problem right now is, the car starts but its stuck in gear. I cant get it out of 1st gear. The clutch seems to be fine and everything else. Maybe its the transmission fluid? Should i bleed it and check the fluid, or it could be the gear box? Thanks

Redlyne_mr2
10-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Can you get it out of first when its not running? One great site for Do it yourself maintenance is www.clarks-garage.com. Great choice on cars

iiinycboi
10-10-2004, 11:25 PM
nope, it doesnt want to release itself from gear even when the car is not running

statick
10-11-2004, 09:55 AM
well thas pretty fucked up, but rage2 has or had a really nicely done 944, maybe he can help u out.

iiinycboi
10-11-2004, 10:04 AM
k cool, should i pm him or wait for his reply heh

Zero102
10-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Oh dear, not another un-educated 944 owner.
Alright mister, march on over to forums.rennlist.com, and forums.pelicanparts.com, and start reading, now!!

hehe, had to do that.
Between Rennlist, Pelican Parts, and Clark's Garage, you should be able to get through anything that car throws at you.
Now, first order, when was the timing belt last changed? If you don't know, don't start it. They're interference engines, and are very very expensive if the belt snaps. That's the first thing to check on any 944.

There are a few of us 944 owners on the board that can probably help you out, providing you do live in Calgary iinycboi. If you ask my girlfriend, I am terrible for meeting porsche owners online and helping them out =)

statick, wait, rage2 HAD a 944? What happened to it? I haven't gotten to see it yet.

statick
10-11-2004, 10:55 AM
well i sed HAS or HAD, i think sum1 was telling me he got a 951 or summin, but im not even sure myself, i'm not beleiving it till i see it. his 944 was one of the sweetest ones i seen.

nismodrifter
10-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by statick
well i sed HAS or HAD, i think sum1 was telling me he got a 951 or summin, but im not even sure myself, i'm not beleiving it till i see it. his 944 was one of the sweetest ones i seen.
LOL
951=944 Turbo mofukaz :D

statick
10-11-2004, 11:57 AM
my knowledge about porsche shows:rofl:

iiinycboi
10-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Ok, sorry guys. I asked my brother what exactlly happen, but skimpy on the details. He had it in the shop because of a clutch problem(clutch cylinders was broken), and they fixed it. A week later, he was driving and the car could not be popped out of SECOND gear. Sorry for the mistake, it was not stuck in first gear. Lets say it was not a porsche and just a regular old car, let say accord. Would there be an explanation on why the gear would be stuck? I have some type of problem at the top of my head that could be messed up right now, but i would like to know how would i find where it is, and how to fix it. Im just gonna cut the insurance to it, until i can actaully get it running then ill buy insurance back.

Clutch arm
Linkage
Clutch is out
and Shift Fork
If i need to rebuild the transmission then i think i would jsut drop it and sell the parts or give it away lol.

Thanks again

Zero102
10-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Hey, give it to me!! I could use a parts car.

Hmm, stuck in second. See if the clutch was stuck engaged, you would be able to get it out of gear when the car was off. I suspect it's the shift linkage. But I've hardly ever seen one fail.

iiinycboi
10-14-2004, 09:31 PM
I wanan make this my daily driver if i can get it in condition, if not imma keep my corolla and take this as my project car. I can only afford insurance on one car lols

iiinycboi
10-17-2004, 03:23 PM
Ahh man, the car is getting me so aggravated lols, i think imma sell it or part it out slowly. If anyone interested email me or pm me

Redlyne_mr2
10-17-2004, 09:26 PM
Hey man where are you located?
Before you part out the car see if you can have a look at the shift linkage. Its most likely a bolt or a c clip that has backed out of the linkage. Not a huge deal

iiinycboi
10-18-2004, 08:15 AM
I took out the center console and the shift boot, and i check the linkage inside the shifte that was under the boot and everything seems to be in place. Am i suppose to rip the carpet out and check somewhere else because i couldnt find anymore screws to open it up.

Zero102
10-18-2004, 02:43 PM
Just give the car to me, I'll take good care of it. =)

iiinycboi
10-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Wanna give me cash haha sold as is and you gotta come get it if you really want it

Zero102
10-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Hmm, I got $60 in my wallet, will that do?
I'll come get it =)

I would offer a hand, but I've been banned by the GF from helping any more porsche owners that I'm not already friends with. Apparently it's creepy that I meet people online and fix their cars....
I could really use either a parts car, or a good straight body to do my TDI swap in (when I get the cash).

Redlyne_mr2
10-19-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
Hmm, I got $60 in my wallet, will that do?
I'll come get it =)

I would offer a hand, but I've been banned by the GF from helping any more porsche owners that I'm not already friends with. Apparently it's creepy that I meet people online and fix their cars....
I could really use either a parts car, or a good straight body to do my TDI swap in (when I get the cash).
few in before the cut lol

Zero102
10-19-2004, 07:13 PM
Yeah. It's too funny, even her parents think I'm nuts. You hear all these stories about people, and who they meet on the internet, and yet I talk to somebody once, and drive out to help then fix their car, lol.
It's cut at you and Darcy. She said no more porsche buddies =(
Then again, all I talk about is cars, so I can see her problem.

I revise my offer for the car, I found a hundred hiding in there too, so my offer stands at $160 for it =)

iiinycboi
10-19-2004, 08:40 PM
lols, if nothing works out maybe ill let you pick a part out for 160 haha sucks for me i could use some porsche owner friends =D

Redlyne_mr2
10-19-2004, 08:44 PM
If you part it out please let me know asap but im sure you could have that problem fixed for like $80 bucks, (hourly wage at a porsche repair shop)

JustinL
10-19-2004, 10:56 PM
I recommend fixing it too. I just brought "old red" (87 944) out for the winter. Man I love these cars. Enough torque to break the back end loose nearly anytime in the winter and sooooo predictable if it gets a little out of shape.

If you do get it running again, be prepared for more maintenance in the future. It can be manageable if you don't *need* to drive your car every day. Porsche mechanics are friggin leeches and the parts counter isn't much better. So if you're on a budget, shop around for parts and do as much of the work yourself as you can. Otherwise it will be costly.

If not, we can always use more local Alberta parts cars.

Justin

Zero102
10-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Hey, speaking of parts, I'm trying to get an account with Metrix (WorldPac) right now, since I need so many damn parts for my car, perhaps I could help out fellow porsche owners if they allow me to order from them?

944's don't have to be leeches. Sure, parts cost more than most any other car, but if you do the work yourself, they aren't all that expensive.
Anyhoo, my offer of $160 for the car still stands =)

Let me see if I can be granted an exception to the rule, and perhaps I can give you a hand fixing it up. I'm just getting through the last of my mid-terms, so maybe the end of the week?

Redlyne_mr2
10-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Hey, speaking of parts, I'm trying to get an account with Metrix (WorldPac) right now, since I need so many damn parts for my car, perhaps I could help out fellow porsche owners if they allow me to order from them?

944's don't have to be leeches. Sure, parts cost more than most any other car, but if you do the work yourself, they aren't all that expensive.
Anyhoo, my offer of $160 for the car still stands =)

Let me see if I can be granted an exception to the rule, and perhaps I can give you a hand fixing it up. I'm just getting through the last of my mid-terms, so maybe the end of the week?
ill come by too let me know

JustinL
10-19-2004, 11:41 PM

Agreed, but if you need a mechanic to fix everything by tomorrow it won't be cheap. Performance parts are often cheaper than stock parts so it's really easy to justify modifying the car :)

Ryan- did you get those sway bars in yet?

Redlyne_mr2
10-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by JustinL

Agreed, but if you need a mechanic to fix everything by tomorrow it won't be cheap. Performance parts are often cheaper than stock parts so it's really easy to justify modifying the car :)

Ryan- did you get those sway bars in yet?

Yeah Justin I did, Zero102 and I installed my h&r's and the front sway. Im waiting on the rear sway parts from KLA. the car handles awesome now, thanks again for the hookup. It has gotten to the point where the tires are now my weak link.

interlude
10-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Well.. if you decide to part it out.. I need some parts. My dad and I are thinking about fixing his up. Theres barely anything wrong with it. But we imported it from LA and the interior dash cracked one winter (too bloody cold in the early 90's) and we want to replace mostly interior parts.

Get back to me! :thumbsup:

Zero102
10-20-2004, 09:40 AM
interlude, good luck finding a crack-free dash. I don't think anybody up here has one, lol.
The cold cracks them up here, and from down south, they get dried up in the sun, and the expanding the heat causes cracks them.

I've seen some interesting re-covering ideas though....

I haven't gotten an answer yet about giving you a hand, lol. Having some family troubles, so I've got other things on my plate right now.

JustinL, good point, if you go to a shop, and need something fixed 'right now' you're going to pay more.

AllGoNoShow
10-20-2004, 10:01 AM
man dont sell it unless your gunna sell it to me :P, I say you keep it and get that thing working, you give up to easy by the looks of it. You found one problem and you cant fix it right away so your gunna sell the car? sounds crappy to me, show that car whos boss and fix it. Zero102 say that he is an old porsche buddy, dont let him sell it, go help him.

iiinycboi
10-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Heh, its okay if you cant help, dont bother asking her yet. Dont get in trouble lols. I might just keep it and try to fix it, but i hardly think its the shifter linkage i checked. Maybe its time for a new clutch. Ill get a mechanic over to check. As for the dash, my dash is crack free =] my brother kept it in the garage all the time. I can only work on it on weekends and spare time, got work and all. But i should be able to get enough time to try and fix the problem myself. Need to get one of those workshop books, any recommendations? Heh, i thought about selling because my girl is mad at me cause i spend time messing around with the car and not her haha. I have 2 cars and i dont really need the porsche, but i love cars and will always love them. Keep you guys updated heh.

Zero102
10-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Definately keep it, unless you sell it to me =)
My offer is up to $260, lol.

Anyhoo, I might have some time this weekend. I don't know for sure. But if I can, I'd be happy to give you a hand with it.

Although, if you don't really need the porsche.... I do =)

If you want to keep it crack free, stay away from armorall, and get a windshield sun reflector.

JustinL
10-20-2004, 05:39 PM
Heheh I must be lucky... my turbo S has no dash cracks at all. "Old Red" however probably has more crack than dash now :D

You can get a carbon fiber dash replacement from www.gt-racing.com. I bet that would look pretty cool.

Justin

Redlyne_mr2
10-20-2004, 06:30 PM
Ive got a spare crack free dash sitting in my garage. That thing is worth its weight in gold

Zero102
10-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Yeah, that dash is pretty sweet Ryan.

The carbon-fiber dashes fit terribly, and your instruments and such don't fit in them, not to mention, try attaching all the wiring and vents to the dash. There are no clips or anything.

I've heard some really bad things about their dash replacements.

I cleared it with the G/F, lol. I know that sounds awfully whipped, but things aren't how they seem.

iinycboi if you're free saturday, I think I can lend you a hand trying to get this thing going. I hate to see a 944 sitting, not being driven =) I'll be out on the track sunday morning (hopefully), so sunday is probably a no-go.

Redlyne_mr2
10-21-2004, 09:43 PM
Hey Zero give me a call for arrangements

iiinycboi
10-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Hey zero, thanks for getting the all clear to come out and help me. But i have to work this weekend sorry for wasting your time, i appreciate that. Ill let you know when i have some spare time, and if you have time that is. Thanks zero and you too mr2 =]

Zero102
10-22-2004, 09:37 PM
That's cool. She's not as bad as I make her out to be, lol.

Let me know when you're ready to take a crack at it, and I'll be happy to give you a hand.
If sunday would be any better, I have after 6 open, though that's kind of late at night?

Just curious, but is the car in a garage or something?

iiinycboi
10-22-2004, 10:57 PM
My dad's car or my mom or my car will be in the garage lols, my dad yells for having that beat up car taking room haha. So i propped it up on lifts and its sitting in the backyard

Zero102
10-23-2004, 10:37 AM
That beat up car?... I guess it's not in too good shape physically?
Most people are happy to have a 944 in the garage, lol.

rage2
10-23-2004, 11:01 AM
interlude, good luck finding a crack-free dash. I don't think anybody up here has one, lol.
The cold cracks them up here, and from down south, they get dried up in the sun, and the expanding the heat causes cracks them.

I've seen some interesting re-covering ideas though....
Mine's only got 1 small crack... nearly crack free! ;).

The recovers actually look not bad. I saw some when I went down to the 944/928 meet in Vancouver a few months ago.

Of course you can get carbon fiber replacement dashes now heh.

Zero102
10-23-2004, 03:39 PM
I'm thinking of removing all the vinyl from mine, filling the cracks, and recovering it with new vinyl. Although I would much rather do this to a dash that isn't from my car, so I can drive it in the meantime =)

Crack-free dashes are pretty rare, good job keeping one nearly crack-free. I think the biggest 944 dash killer is armorall.