PDA

View Full Version : Drove an SRT-4 Today

sabad66
10-11-2004, 12:53 AM
My sister got an SRT-4 about 2 weeks ago and promised that I could take it out for a spin after it was broken in. I must say that I am pretty impressed with it. In first and second gear it is pretty quick but you really notice the boost gauge go up to 15 once you hit 3rd gear. I was going 155 in 3rd gear and I didn't even know. I like how theres a pretty good Kicker sound system included with the car. I also noticed how comfy the seats are. Apparently they are Viper seats except the middle part is cloth whereas the Viper's are all leather. I'm also a sucker for red brake calipers. Anyway there are 2 things however I didn't like about it:
1) Can't even hear the BOV!
2) I don't like the low 6000 rpm redline (I'm used to driving a Honda)
Other than those 2 things, this car is wicked. I recommend that you take this car out for a spin if you are in the market for a new car. :thumbsup:

FrostyLight
10-11-2004, 01:02 AM
thats tight, I was considering a car like this recently.
I hear it can be a sports car when you feel like it, and then its also a family car when you need it.

I heard some info that a stock SRT-4 could compete with several other modded Civics...but I'm not sure. Is it as good as they say?

And, whats the price range of these things?

sabad66
10-11-2004, 01:06 AM
Your right about the sports car and family car in one thing. It is a 4 door car, and my sister has 2 kids and they have their own racing bucket child seats in the back lol. It matches. And as for competing with a civic, they are not even in the same category haha. This thing would eat a modded Civic alive. The price I think is around 30 000 +/- about 3 grand. My sister paid around 30 for a 2004 so the 2005s would be a little more.

1badPT
10-11-2004, 01:15 AM
On a stock SRT-4 there is no BOV - you can buy one from mopar though - but its mainly for sound, doesn't really do much for performance until you install stage 2. The low redline comes from the long stroke of the engine - the tradeoff is lots of torque throughout the whole power band. Thats why it puts you back in your seat without having to rev it to 4000 first.

They are wicked cars - I wish they were RWD but other than that :thumbsup: :love: :D

finboy
10-11-2004, 01:17 AM
i wasn't too fond of the lack of turbo lag myself, but then again i'm a sucker for a big turbo :D

403Gemini
10-11-2004, 01:25 AM
oh seriously who cares about low redline when you have torque ;) haha dont even compare a car with torque vs a honda :clap: hehehe

DefektiveVibe
10-11-2004, 01:29 AM
took a ride in one of these....damn fast

statick
10-11-2004, 10:02 AM
yea tehse are pretty fast cars, but as for going up against a modded civic, it depends how much its modded, so u cant really say:dunno:

RT16V
10-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT
On a stock SRT-4 there is no BOV - you can buy one from mopar though - but its mainly for sound, doesn't really do much for performance until you install stage 2. The low redline comes from the long stroke of the engine - the tradeoff is lots of torque throughout the whole power band. Thats why it puts you back in your seat without having to rev it to 4000 first.

They are wicked cars - I wish they were RWD but other than that :thumbsup: :love: :D

Yes the stock SRT-4 has a BOV, it's just quiet due to the 're-routed' configuration. The Mopar mod is a spacer that vents to atmosphere.

benyl
10-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Wouldn't that be a by pass valve?

Putting a BOV on a turbo engine that comes with a BPV usually screws up what the ECU see and you will probably lose power. Hate to say it, but it would be a ricer mod. If you go stage 2, that is a different story. But changing the stock one just for the sound is lame.

Take out the intake resonator and you should get some extra sound...

finboy
10-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Putting a BOV on a turbo engine that comes with a BPV usually screws up what the ECU see and you will probably lose power. Hate to say it, but it would be a ricer mod. If you go stage 2, that is a different story. But changing the stock one just for the sound is lame.

Take out the intake resonator and you should get some extra sound...

usually BOV's that vent to atmosphere cause problems with MAF cars because you are dumping "metered" air from the charge pipes. with a speed density set up (no air flow meter, map sensor instead) you can vent to atmosphere all you please because it will not mess with the read out of the mass air sensor.

^^^
as far as i know, but then again i'm no expert. perhaps the dsm buys can chime in a bit more as those cars are MAF

1badPT
10-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by benyl

That's exactly what comes stock in an SRT-4.

FrostyLight
10-11-2004, 01:37 PM
My question is, if this thing would eat a modded civic alive, what if the SRT-4 was modded itself? :poosie:

Probably just a rhetorical question. I dont think it really matters...that if someone were to take a stock SRT-4 and jazz it up so it gets 7 second quarter miles...

yeah yeah Im just dreaming again, haha :bigpimp:

Altezza
10-11-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
Your right about the sports car and family car in one thing. It is a 4 door car, and my sister has 2 kids and they have their own racing bucket child seats in the back lol. It matches. And as for competing with a civic, they are not even in the same category haha. This thing would eat a modded Civic alive. The price I think is around 30 000 +/- about 3 grand. My sister paid around 30 for a 2004 so the 2005s would be a little more.

I dunno, but if I had 2 kids and bought a car in the "$30k +/- $3k" range, I would have bought a Camry, Accord, or a minivan :dunno:. I'd be looking for something with more interior room and something much safer for the kids. But that's just me...

sabad66
10-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Yes but with those Camrys and minivans they don't double as a sports car. To be honest they are quite roomy in the back, they seat 5 and the trunk is also pretty big. Obviously those cars have a lot more room but you can't have fun in your Camry when your kids aren't in the car.

sabad66
10-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by FrostyLight
My question is, if this thing would eat a modded civic alive, what if the SRT-4 was modded itself? :poosie:

Probably just a rhetorical question. I dont think it really matters...that if someone were to take a stock SRT-4 and jazz it up so it gets 7 second quarter miles...

yeah yeah Im just dreaming again, haha :bigpimp:

Actually, my brother in law was telling me that Mopar did make a 7 or 8 second SRT-4. I don't know if it is true or not but they apparently set the record for fastest 4 cylinder car to do the 1/4 mile. But mind you this car was HEAVILY modified. I think he was telling me they put over 150k into it. The body was also re-done in light weight material.

JCX
10-11-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by finboy

usually BOV's that vent to atmosphere cause problems with MAF cars because you are dumping "metered" air from the charge pipes. with a speed density set up (no air flow meter, map sensor instead) you can vent to atmosphere all you please because it will not mess with the read out of the mass air sensor.

^^^
as far as i know, but then again i'm no expert. perhaps the dsm buys can chime in a bit more as those cars are MAF

This is correct as far as the SRT-4 goes. No MAF so you can vent it in the atmosphere with no ill effects.

EK 2.0
10-11-2004, 06:27 PM

^^^

you have hit the nail on the head Finny...

JCX
10-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by sabad66

Actually, my brother in law was telling me that Mopar did make a 7 or 8 second SRT-4. I don't know if it is true or not but they apparently set the record for fastest 4 cylinder car to do the 1/4 mile. But mind you this car was HEAVILY modified. I think he was telling me they put over 150k into it. The body was also re-done in light weight material.

There is a Mopar race SRT-4. I'm not sure what it's best times are, but it's very fast. Basically a purpose built race car. The motor actually retains some stock parts too.

BTW : base price on the SRT-4 is like $28K. The only options are basicallyside airbags (you get different seats), sunroof, kicker sound system.

LancerShelby
10-11-2004, 07:24 PM
i wasn't too fond of the lack of turbo lag myself, but then again i'm a sucker for a big turbo :D Oh shit, here we go:rolleyes: You've never driven a big turbo car have you? An SRT-4 would eat me alive light to light. I'd rather have a Super 60 on my car most of the time.