PDA

View Full Version : Careers on the business side of Sports

Singel
10-11-2004, 09:53 PM
So I'm a first year business student @ U of C, and I think I wanna pursue a career in the business side of sports. Everyone who knows me says I should have gone into broadcasting or something, cuz I could easily be a TSN anchor or something. Basically I'd love to get a career with a Sports Network or Pro Sports Team.

Are there any specific courses that would be good to take for this? And what business concentration of Business would be best? Maybe Marketing for a sports network, and something like Human Resources for an organization?

And I was thinking of maybe getting a job as an usher or something with the Flames, and by 4th year I could move up a bit and have some good experience with the organization.

It's a dream job, but somebody's got to get it. Any advice is appreciated:thumbsup:

mo_virgin
10-12-2004, 12:24 PM
You could Easily be a TSN anchor? You really think you are that good?

Sports IS a buisness, and they will need everykind of buisness students no matter what you are.

As for the usher idea? Its good to get expirience in an organization but you will never rise anywhere being an usher and your expirience won't really shine when you want to get a real job with the flames. Try as a summer intern or a job in the office instead eh?

TrevorK
10-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by mo_virgin
You could Easily be a TSN anchor? You really think you are that good?

Sports IS a buisness, and they will need everykind of buisness students no matter what you are.

As for the usher idea? Its good to get expirience in an organization but you will never rise anywhere being an usher and your expirience won't really shine when you want to get a real job with the flames. Try as a summer intern or a job in the office instead eh?

The potential is there for a personal relationship with some of the powerful people within the organization (for the right type of person of course). And that in turn can land you a job.

sexualbanana
10-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Usher's not a bad job to start with since you're still pretty young. It's not much, but it'll give you a chance to learn how the organizarion is structured, which is good.

Since you're at the U of C, keep an eye out for the Sports Marketing Conference in Edmonton. There should be an email being sent out in January about it.