PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk used 328's

Loose
10-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey guys,

Was sort of looking at some cars on the trader.

EXAMPLE (http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?rubno=4000&r=%27ALB%27%2C%27EDM%27%2C%27CAL%27&ste=&sid=TSXPF62004102244&issr=1&yfr=1995&yto=0&kfr=0&kto=0&pfr=0&pto=0&dm=1&dp=8&mk=BMW&md=&kw=328&or=0&oby=7&pg=1&vid=1550176)

What sort of things do you look for when checking out the cars, and what is the reliablity/maintance cost of them?

Thanks...

D'z Nutz
10-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Here's a couple things mentioned in this thread:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21767

Henry80
10-12-2004, 09:57 PM
It's an auto:dunno: Thats cool if ur down with that.

As for 328's I dropped a 2.8L 328 in my 318ti and its nice and fast:thumbsup:

Just be ready to pay a fair bit if anythings wrong witht he car. that one looks good, but its not my call.

bol
10-12-2004, 11:43 PM
I bought a '98 328is a month ago. It's a great car.

Most of the issues mentioned in the thread above don't apply to the late generation E36's but they are good to keep in mind.

They're fun cars. Just try to find one that feels good to you! I checked out a few before I found mine and although mine isn't perfect - it's exactly what I was looking for in terms of equipment.

interlude
10-13-2004, 03:21 AM
sorry for going off topic.. but does anybody know what type those rims are in that link? My parents friend just gave me a set of those exact rims and tires for free.. im just gonna use them for winter tires for my e46 :)

Loose
10-13-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Henry80
It's an auto:dunno: Thats cool if ur down with that.

Oh barf, didn't notice that :barf:

Clem
10-13-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by interlude
sorry for going off topic.. but does anybody know what type those rims are in that link? My parents friend just gave me a set of those exact rims and tires for free.. im just gonna use them for winter tires for my e46 :)

IF they are 16" they are double spoke style 30

SwitchBlade
10-13-2004, 09:43 AM
I never had any problems with mine. The only thing that I ever had to take it in for was a Airbag light on. The BMW staff reset the codes and i was all good. Just keep up to date with oil filter changes and you should be fine.

Glenn 328is
10-13-2004, 11:36 AM
- easy for most DIY stuff
- get a ssk and clutch stop
- leather needs treatment as it looks worn quick
- pixels in OBC are crappy
- the cupholders blow

It's an awesome car.

FiveFreshFish
10-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Stock North American E36 headlights are shitty. Get ZKW projectors and/or HIDs.

Kaos
10-13-2004, 11:22 PM
From the picture, it isnt clear, but it doesnt seem like it has the M3 skirts or the rear bumper. (as it says M Package)

FiveFreshFish-

YO! dude, do you have those right now?
I'll buy em off you right now.

bol
10-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Kaos
From the picture, it isnt clear, but it doesnt seem like it has the M3 skirts or the rear bumper. (as it says M Package)

FiveFreshFish-

The M package has nothing to do with the bumpers or skirts.

It includes M suspension, sport seats(I THINK) and M steering wheel and shiftknob.

I consider the M package and the sport seats a *MUST* on these cars. The standard seats suck and the stock steering wheel is terrible.

Glenn 328is
10-14-2004, 10:22 AM
I also have the sport suspension with the M package. But it doesn't come with the "Vader" sport seats. They are adequate but not nearly as good as regular M3 seats....

bol
10-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Right, they're not the Vader sport seats(which I think are horrible!) but different sport seat.

The non sport seats are really terrible. They have no side support.

Clem
10-14-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by bol
Right, they're not the Vader sport seats(which I think are horrible!) but different sport seat.

The non sport seats are really terrible. They have no side support.

Non sport seats are gross. Sport are adequate. I like the vaders but I think the E46 sport seats have more support.

Aleks
10-14-2004, 11:08 AM
So Clem, how has your overall E46 experience been. I am considering an E46 323I or IC as my next car once I get bored of my current project?

wjjeeper
10-14-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by altima
So Clem, how has your overall E46 experience been. I am considering an E46 323I or IC as my next car once I get bored of my current project?

The E46 platform in one word is "unbelievable"
Everytime I drive the car I feel like a kid in a candy store. I never get tired of driving this car. Most vehicles I start to get bored with driving them after about 6 monts, but not this one. It brings a smile to my face everytime I drive or see it! :thumbsup:

Glenn 328is
10-14-2004, 11:24 AM
My brother has an 01 330i and it drives. handles and sounds great. Personally, I like mine better. It seems tighter, less cushy and the steering feel is better. I also like the E36 body style better. IMHO

Clem
10-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by altima

I am very happy with my E46. I actually had an E36 320i previously.

My 323i has had fewer major problems than the E46 325s and especially the 330s had.

The E46 overall is a much better all around car. I found the E36 to be "tighter" as Glen mentioned.

Performance wise if you plan to mod there are more options with the E36.

bol
10-14-2004, 12:08 PM
I like my '98 328is more than I did my 01 330Ci but that might have more to do with the fact that my 328 is a standard. My 330 was a step... and while I liked it at the time it can't compete with a stick.

I don't know what I was thinking!

Clem
10-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by bol
I like my '98 328is more than I did my 01 330Ci but that might have more to do with the fact that my 328 is a standard. My 330 was a step... and while I liked it at the time it can't compete with a stick.

I don't know what I was thinking!

It prolly helps that you don't crash the E36 on a weekly basis like the 330 (:confused: sorry for dredging up old memories)

bol
10-14-2004, 01:40 PM
LOL
that's cutting low

although considering my dad wrote that car off two months after buying it from me i'd say it was cursed

Clem
10-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by bol
LOL
that's cutting low

although considering my dad wrote that car off two months after buying it from me i'd say it was cursed

Sorry bro :(

Topaz has always been cursed. Don't feel bad you're not the only one.

FiveFreshFish
10-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Kaos
FiveFreshFish-

I bought them from umnitza 3 months ago.
http://www.umnitza.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_35_46&products_id=65

They shipped from California to Calgary in about 3 days by USPS Express. Great service! Call Matt (the owner) and he will explain all the different options available.

Clem
10-14-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Call Matt (the owner) and he will explain all the different options available.

Matt's good people. He also sponsors E46Fanatics.

FiveFreshFish
10-14-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Clem

Matt's good people. He also sponsors E46Fanatics.

:werd: Also bimmerforums.com and M3Forum.com.

Kaos
10-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

I bought them from umnitza 3 months ago.
http://www.umnitza.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_35_46&products_id=65

They shipped from California to Calgary in about 3 days by USPS Express. Great service! Call Matt (the owner) and he will explain all the different options available.

I was actually thinking of buying the bosch/xenon set-up they have out now.
How are the ZKW's????

3 days? any problems with the packaging?

bol
10-14-2004, 05:14 PM
I'll have to check out those ZKW's sometime FiveFreshFish .... I'm having a hard time justifying spending what they cost. I put silverstars in my headlights and have been happy with them... I can't see them getting much better without going to xenons.

FiveFreshFish
10-14-2004, 05:16 PM
According to Matt, the ZKWs are almost as good as the Bosch, so I went ahead with the purchase. I considered the Bosch, but at the time, they cost 50% more than the ZKWs because they had to be special-ordered.

But now he must have them in stock and they're just slightly more than the ZKWs. Both the ZKW and Bosch projectors both have very sharp beam cut-off patterns but I haven't personally seen the Bosch. Either one is miles ahead of the stock headlights.

The headlights were in bubble wrap and came in a large box. Everything arrived in perfect condition on my doorstep in 3 working days. Goods were shipped on a Friday and arrived on Wednesday.

I got a bill for the GST plus a $5 handling fee from Purolator 2 weeks later which I paid online with my Visa.

FiveFreshFish
10-14-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by bol
I'll have to check out those ZKW's sometime FiveFreshFish .... I'm having a hard time justifying spending what they cost. I put silverstars in my headlights and have been happy with them... I can't see them getting much better without going to xenons.

The car came with crappy PIAA aftermarket bulbs so that may have aggravated the poor light output of the stock units. Silverstars are probably the best halogen bulb you can buy, so I have no doubt your lights have pretty good output. Let me know if you want to do a side-by-side comparison.

My previous car had xenons and projectors so I couldn't NOT have the same in the E36. The projector beam pattern is far superior to the stock units so even if you upgraded to the ZKWs with halogens, you'll see a huge improvement.

Anyway, here's a comparison photo of stock pattern (top) vs. ZKW pattern (bottom). Notice the huge glare coming off the stock headlights.