PDA

View Full Version : I'm a new golfer, wondering what kind of clubs to get?

daggers_point
10-13-2004, 02:20 AM
Looking to spend between $200- $350, don't know what to get, except maybe the Ram set from Sportchek. Appreciate suggestions.

daggers_point
10-13-2004, 02:23 AM
By the way, I'm a lefty at golfing, does that make my choices more limited?

BigDannyCool
10-13-2004, 04:44 AM
you should just go to the store and feel them for yourself..different sets of clubs have a different feel...just get what feels the best for you.

12mike12
10-13-2004, 06:25 AM
you should go to your local golf store... if they are any good they will let you try out as many sets as you want until you find something you like and is in your price range... hope that was some help.

sputnik
10-13-2004, 06:56 AM
A buddy of mine picked up a set of Tour Edge Bazookas for $325. Not bad bang for the buck.

Rockski
10-13-2004, 07:19 AM
fire sticks have been a good experiance for myself, cant remember pricing on them

Shaolin
10-13-2004, 07:47 AM
i went and bought myself a full set of clubs from Sportchek that came with a bag.. all for 400 bucks.. bought a new driver, a lob wedge and sand wedge.. still playing with the same 3W, 5W and irons.

Mckenzie
10-13-2004, 08:18 AM
Being a lefty I know all about the lopsided right hand golf market...so your choices are limited yes....but sometimes you can score some sweet deals because they are hard to sell.

My suggestion would be to by a set of irons used from the bargain finder. Then, buy a 3 and 5 wood from a store or BF seperately. As a newbie, you will find it a bit harder to hit the 1 wood consistently. The 3 and the 5 wood will give you some more confidence as it will get the ball up in the air better.

RAM makes nice clubs....stay away from anything alien.

Go to Nevada Bobs as they do have used sets for sale and you CAN deal with them for a better price.

Z_Fan
10-13-2004, 09:41 AM
My advice is simply don't spend a lot of cash on clubs at this point. I know you have a budget, and I think it's about the right amount.

My point is that it is a waste of money buying expensive clubs.

Until you are shooting 75-82 consistently, you really can get by with a cheap set of irons and drivers.

I also like McKenzie's advice regarding the 1-Wood. While I have a few different ones, I have stopped taking them to the course now. I only use a 3-wood (or iron on 3's) off the tee.

daggers_point
10-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Alright.. I've been looking at a few sets in stores and stuff (I don't like buying stuff online) and I've seen some nice sets.. I see the Knight set at Canadian Tire for $179.99 CDN.. is there anything wrong with that one?
I've also seen some sets on sportmart.ca site.. do the 11 piece sets come with a putter? They look pretty nice.
Thanks again for input

PS.. I don't think there is a Nevada Bob's in my city.. London Ontario

Singel
10-13-2004, 02:00 PM
11 piece does not come with putter...have you played much? Are you sure you like it and will stick with it? My brother bought some Knight's from Canadian tire like 5 years ago, there not bad, but certainly not great. Probly best to go with something fairly cheap for now.

93PGT
10-13-2004, 02:07 PM
My first set was Knight from C-Tire. Bought them because I was working at a golf course so I golfed for free. Figured it would be a good deal. I liked them, but now I have $1300 clubs lol. The same ones Vijay Singh uses. :thumbsup:

daggers_point
10-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Yeah, ok, so you think I should go with the Knight?

daggers_point
10-13-2004, 02:45 PM
I mean, it hasn't broken or anything for any of you?

SkylineAdmirer
10-13-2004, 02:51 PM
Im a lefty too, my advice is by a cheap driver(1wood), cheap second hand second irons, and a cheap putter(putters dont really matter) anyway had these old set of irons i bought fer 90 bux american wen i was in the us, i like them quite alot, im still above 100, but getting better. buy second hand first dude, save ur money, once ur shooting good 72-85 as Z__Fan said. U cna buy some nice new Callaway's:bigpimp: :bigpimp:

Dope Dealer
10-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Should get some x16 pro-series irons with an R7 driver... lol jk..

I heard Ram are pretty good for a beginner.. I think they are 350-400 for a complete set including putter and everything at SportChek.

Pacman
10-13-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by SkylineAdmirer
once ur shooting good 72-85 as Z__Fan said. U cna buy some nice new Callaway's:bigpimp: :bigpimp:

Dude, when you are shooting that good, you buy blades...not big, honking, ugly shovels like Callaways.

Shaolin
10-13-2004, 04:10 PM
the RAM woods are very forgiving from what I've heard..was playing with a couple buddies at McCall and one of them had one.

Pacman
10-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Any of those clubs you mentioned will be fine. Spend money on lessons instead of clubs and you will thank yourself later.

For what it's worth, I play with 20 year old irons, a small headed 4 wood and a really small (by todays standards) driver. It just means that nobody wants to steal my clubs when I leave them at the clubhouse which is good for me and bad for the guys with brand new callaways and taylor mades.

JUMBO™
10-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Time is on your side. The season's over anyway so what's the rush? Like the guys said go test clubs thoroughly. I'd suggest going to a golf store with an indoor range / net so you can actually hit some balls with them. Try a bunch of different sets, hit lots of balls and make sure the guy who's helping you knows something about proper fit.

Also, check the bargain finder, classifieds and on-line golf stores for good deals.

But the best way to save money is to make sure you get the right set for you. So have patience! Too often new golfers like yourself rush into buying clubs, don't like them and spend another $300-500 next year. Spend you're $350 wisely and that should last you 3-5 seasons.

PM me if you'd like more help.

(BTW, Callaway does make Blades - Ben Hogan Apex Series)

CRXguy
10-13-2004, 05:36 PM
I bought a set this past summer at Sportchek for about $250, which includes 1w,3w,5w,3-9,pw,putter and a bag. It's good for now cuz I still suck! haha

Singel
10-13-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Pacman
Any of those clubs you mentioned will be fine. Spend money on lessons instead of clubs and you will thank yourself later.

For what it's worth, I play with 20 year old irons, a small headed 4 wood and a really small (by todays standards) driver. It just means that nobody wants to steal my clubs when I leave them at the clubhouse which is good for me and bad for the guys with brand new callaways and taylor mades.

I'd steal those if I were Righty. They may be old, but those are all super high quality clubs

daggers_point
10-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I like the Rams at C-Tire too.. the bag and set look nice :D
Are clubs priced cheaper at the end of season (now) or at the beginning, in the spring? I've heard people getting steals in the spring and I can't for the life of me understand it.

daggers_point
10-13-2004, 07:17 PM
*Rams at SportChek

BigDannyCool
10-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
I bought a set this past summer at Sportchek for about $250, which includes 1w,3w,5w,3-9,pw,putter and a bag. It's good for now cuz I still suck! haha :werd:

DUBBED
10-13-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by JUMBO™
(BTW, Callaway does make Blades - Ben Hogan Apex Series)

BTW no they don't. Ben Hogan is owned by Spalding sports and is a completely different company than Callaway. The closest thing to blades that Callaway makes are the x-16 Pro Series.

There is some of the worst advice about golf I have ever seen on here. The putter is the most important club in the bag, you take 30% of your shots/round with the putter so in my mind you should spend the most time finding a putter that suits you. My putter cost me $800 but if I'm only taking 25-30 putts a round then it's worth it to me.

Buy a decent six iron off EBay, spend your money on lessons. Go to the RCGA centre and say "Paul Horton I want to swing the club like you." Then when you're ready for a good set and lots of time on the course I have a set of Precept's that you would absolutely enjoy.

Just so you know I play for Mount Royal so if you have any questions that you would like to be answered properly please do not hesitate to ask.

Dope Dealer
10-13-2004, 10:40 PM
Scotty Cameron putter?

DUBBED
10-13-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer
Scotty Cameron putter?

Nope. Bettinardi, it's in the mail actually I can't wait to get it. :D

Dope Dealer
10-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Wow nice.. Those have the crazy designs on the front dont they? Seen a few at my course.

DUBBED
10-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer
Wow nice.. Those have the crazy designs on the front dont they? Seen a few at my course.

Yeah kind of a honeycomb pattern.

http://www.tksputters.com/images/600_SMALL_BONES_LINE.JPG

BebeAphrodite
10-17-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED

BTW no they don't. Ben Hogan is owned by Spalding sports and is a completely different company than Callaway. The closest thing to blades that Callaway makes are the x-16 Pro Series.

There is some of the worst advice about golf I have ever seen on here. The putter is the most important club in the bag, you take 30% of your shots/round with the putter so in my mind you should spend the most time finding a putter that suits you. My putter cost me $800 but if I'm only taking 25-30 putts a round then it's worth it to me.

Buy a decent six iron off EBay, spend your money on lessons. Go to the RCGA centre and say "Paul Horton I want to swing the club like you." Then when you're ready for a good set and lots of time on the course I have a set of Precept's that you would absolutely enjoy.

Just so you know I play for Mount Royal so if you have any questions that you would like to be answered properly please do not hesitate to ask.

ya, I was reading some of the advice and it already didn't seem very good to me.
Honestly, even though someone is on a budget and because they are beginners doesn't mean they have to use POS equipment.
Think of it this way, what's the point of purchasing cheap clubs if you improve really quickly and need to get another set of better clubs.
I'd say look around for second hand good clubs rather than buy the cheapos that are hangin around.

"good thing no cheap, cheap thing no good"

seriously, you get what you pay for.

Merkur
10-17-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED

WRONG!!!

Spalding which owned Top-flite, Ben Hogan and Wilson went bankrupt.

Callaway bought out Top-Flite and Ben Hogan, and now wilson is on their own trying to make a comeback under the Wilson Staff name.

REFLUX
10-17-2004, 11:40 PM
I just picked up golf this fall as well and I got a full set of clubs for 50%, a total of $150 with lifetime warranty (Goliath clubs) but it didn't come with a putter
Spent a good hour or 2 testing out putters and ended up getting one that cost 60% of what my entire set of clubs cost...just because it felt good to putt with it (Mizuno TP Mills #9)

At first I was thinking of just getting the cheapest set of clubs w/ a cheap putter but I couldn't pass up 50% off lifetime warrantied clubs (only a lil bit more expensive than a 1/2 set). And the cheap putters felt really crappy.

In total I spent $440.
$150 for clubs
$100 for putter
$150 for bag (not much discount on the bag but I really like it, Sun Mountain)
$10 for 12 Toppoint Classic balls

regular retail price would've been a total of ~$750 (incl tax)

I forgot to pick up some tees but that can wait until next season seeing as how the snow's down now :p

DUBBED
10-18-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Merkur
WRONG!!!

Spalding which owned Top-flite, Ben Hogan and Wilson went bankrupt.

Callaway bought out Top-Flite and Ben Hogan, and now wilson is on their own trying to make a comeback under the Wilson Staff name.

Yeah I just found that out too. Either way Hogan Blades are not Callaway, and Callaway does not make blades.