PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on SC upgrade..

Euro_Trash
10-13-2004, 10:26 AM
OK I doubt that very many people know exactly the specs on each of these upgrades for my Corrado, but Ill give a brief explanation for each and I want opinions on which would be best...
1. Twin Screw Compressor
$3000+
-198 WHP, 210 TQ @ 17 PSI with chip, cam, intake and exhaust
-easily upgradable through BBM (bring it up to 22+ PSI, comes with injectors, belt, pulley, etc for around 1500 - dont know what kind of numbers this would put out)
-bolts right in, 2 hour job
-unbelievable sound:thumbsup:
-unbelieveable torque
-NEVER NEEDS TO BE REBUILT (big one)

2. Satge 4 rebuild/upgrade
-less than $2000
-190 WHP
-bolts right in
-WILL NEED A REBUILD AGAIN IN AROUND 40,000 KM
-not as loud
-not as much torque (probably around 180-190)

Also a big thing is the screw compressor is very rare, I dont know of anyone else in Alberta running one, so that would be kind of cool. A big thing is not having to rebuild it, while the Stage 4 will need to be rebuilt again soon after. Let me know what everything thinks, I want as many opinions as possible. (remember that I am a student so Im not loaded)
Thanks
Dan

N'Syncro
10-13-2004, 11:45 AM
What are your goals for the car, and what's your budget? If you're looking to make your 'rado an all out speed machine, look else where, b/c neither system will get you crazy times at the 1/4mile track.

I don't have any 1st hand experience w/ the Lysolm, but from what i've heard they are great... If you have the cash, I would probably recommened it.. IF you can live with the noise of it. I'm sure you know they sound like fire trucks', but have you actually listened to a video of one? I don't know how long I could live with that. You're nutz if you like that sound.

I do have 1st hand experience with regular G-Ladders and all the stages that can go with them. In my car's lifetime (<190 000km) the car went through 3 g-ladders. Needless to say I'm not that big a fan of them.. Well, I am a big fan, but not of the rebuilds. A rebuild should last longer than 40,000km though, unless you don't take care of it (not letting it warm up, excessively revving it, etc).

Also, I think you're numbers are a bit off (if you think you'll get those numbers w/ just the lysolm or stage 4 g-ladder). If you're taking into consideration all the stage 4 parts (chip, cam, isv, etc), then yeah, those #'s are fairly accurate. Probably about 10whp too high tho (never trust what BBM or KK, or any other tuner says their kits make).

Euro_Trash
10-13-2004, 02:21 PM
All of my numbers are taken off of people who have done them on VW vortex, Ive seen the dyno sheets for them also. 40,000 km is also the recomended rebuild time, but Im sure they can last longer, as that is a number made by KK, who Im sure does it for more business. The car will not be a drag car, I am thinking more of autocross/road racing, plus an everyday cruising car.
I think the sound will be funny, cuz everyone will think something is wrong with the car.... but little do they know...

The stage 4 numbers was with a guy with a stge 4 chip, upgraded cam, pulley, belt and then intake and exhaust. The numbers from the lysholm are from a corrado with chip, cam, intake and exhaust.

So what do you reccomend? I have the money for both, just split on the decision of which would be better.

(Ive had 40 views and I response lol, come on guys just write one down)

tsi_neal
10-13-2004, 06:41 PM
not that ive seen or heard a hole lot about it but what does it take to swap in a 1.8T? with very mild mods they will put down more power than what youre talking and shouldnt be to expensive for a low Km used motor.

if thats not an option for you id definatly go twin screw, never seen one on a corrado but they are sweet units.

962 kid
10-13-2004, 09:51 PM
Corrodo engine has superstrong internals

give it the turbo it longs for

http://www.eurospecsport.com/corradoturbo.htm

Euro_Trash
10-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Great another option to deal with :(

N'Syncro
10-18-2004, 12:15 AM
If it was up to me, I'd probably go with the lysolm, but alot of that decision would be due to the fact i've already owned a stage 4/5 g-ladder. (try something new).

It's totally up to you. If you have the money for either, i'd probably say go w/ the lysolm. Rebuilding the G-ladders is expensive.

Euro_Trash
10-18-2004, 12:23 AM
Alright thanks man, glad to have your opinion :thumbsup:

tommygun03
11-01-2004, 08:53 AM
http://www.procharger.com/

there is a guy there named Dorian, he has a corrado with a ATI kit he custom made. very cool

http://www.houseofboost.com/members.dorianc.html

you can also email him thru the houseofboost site

toyboy88
11-01-2004, 08:56 AM
i'd go with the screw compressor :thumbsup:

all city
11-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Anyone got an oem charger for a 90 corrado