PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Stalling issue

JeepBoyCT
11-22-2002, 01:05 PM
Need some help here....I'm not the best in the world with cars, more a computer person, but here is the issue. What would make my baby, stall in the morning when its coming out of the garage. I mean its not like all the power goes off or nething, all I see is that the RMPs drop to 0 and the engine baically dies on me. All I have to do is turn the key and give it some gas and off I go, sometimes I will have to repeat this a few time in the morning to get going. What could be the issue here....I use Fuel injection cleaners in my gas...other then that I don't know what else I could do to prevent it from cutting out on me.......please help if something know anything. Its a 97 Grand Ch Jeep V8 with about 85k on her.:guns:

ecstasy_civic
11-22-2002, 01:10 PM
when was the last time you had your oil changed? theres an oil sending unit they couldve knocked off while doing the change.? its a long shot but its been known to happen.

JeepBoyCT
11-22-2002, 01:12 PM
I get my oil changed every 3k its actually going in on Tuesday :clap: but would that really have anything to do with it...it almost to me seems like the fuel isn't getting into the engine

ecstasy_civic
11-22-2002, 01:19 PM
hmmm well i know from work when you do and oil change on a jeep you have to be very careful, theres and oil sending unit that wont let oil into the engine if its broken and its palstic so the slightest bump itll break. and on tj's the starter sits right under the oil filter and if it drops, lol itll create a spark and turn hte engine over and with no oil in the engine its not such a good thing lol.

silverEL
11-23-2002, 01:56 AM
i had a 99 cherokee limited and that pos stalled on me soo many times, i think that its was just a bad year, cuz my 03 is fine!
so i dunno what to say

Adica
11-23-2002, 06:38 PM
you might want to buy a can of carburator cleaner, the aeorsol one, and take off the intake and spray a bunch into the throttle body. the carb cleaner stuff goes for about 4 bucks a can, and i use to have a van with a similar engine that stalled occasionally too and that helped if you clean it every once in a while. i took the van to sooo many mechanics about the stalling problem and none of them can diagnos any problems. i learned this trick by this one mechanic that told me that it was a flaw in the design of these particular engines. hope this will help:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
11-25-2002, 02:34 AM
Would that even work for a Fuel Injected engine?

ninspeed
11-26-2002, 03:39 PM
yep.. does it have a MAFS or MAPS?? if it is MAFS, i know when mine was under the weather, when i would come out of the warm garage in to the colder air, it would drop the rpms really low for a second or two then stall.. the ecu thinks there is no air, thus sends no fuel...