PDA

View Full Version : Best Striking Martial Art?

GreenLude
11-22-2002, 01:28 PM
Me and a friend were talking about this and we couldn't fingure out what Martial Art was best for strikes.:dunno:
What do you all think?

ecstasy_civic
11-22-2002, 01:30 PM
lol ask neon acr he'll tell you kendo!:clap: :rofl:

legendboy
11-22-2002, 01:37 PM
I think muay tai is the most aggressive?

Blue Devil 2
11-22-2002, 01:40 PM
anyone wanna fight for fun to determine the best striking martial arts?

ninspeed
11-22-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
I think muay tai is the most aggressive?

I agree, Muai Thai is awesome for aggression! :thumbsup: Definately my pick there

Melinda

ecstasy_civic
11-22-2002, 02:12 PM
ya a few of my friends and my brother in law all train w/ mike miles and were at the last big fight at the corral. im glad trev one that fight, were any of you there?

GreenLude
11-22-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
ya a few of my friends and my brother in law all train w/ mike miles and were at the last big fight at the corral. im glad trev one that fight, were any of you there?
I wasn't there but i hang out with Mike Miles son every so often.

ecstasy_civic
11-22-2002, 02:17 PM
ive never met him, actually i didnt even know he had a son:burnout: is he a fighter?

finboy
11-22-2002, 02:23 PM
lol ask neon acr he'll tell you kendo!:clap: :rofl: :rofl:

mwmhong
11-22-2002, 02:25 PM
In my opinion:

1. Muay Thai
2. Western Boxing
3. American Kickboxing
4. Kyokushin Karate or San Shou

Who cares about the rest....

ninspeed
11-22-2002, 02:31 PM

My brother trained with Mike Miles for almost 6 years, so he got me into all of that. Wasn't at the last fight (at the corral) but I heard a lot about it. There was a fight in Medicine Hat this past weekend though, Mike Miles' crew cleaned up :thumbsup:

Melinda

ecstasy_civic
11-22-2002, 02:33 PM
awesome im waiting til next week to get for tickets for c-max in feb.
what was your brothers name?

bol
11-22-2002, 02:41 PM
ninjutsu?

ninspeed
11-22-2002, 02:42 PM
Bryan Syryda, he trained in kickboxing mostly but for the last few years, he did a lot of Muay Thai as well. A shoulder and achillies tendon injury made him stop for right now. He isn't sure if he is gonna go back or not but he was really good when he was in it.

Melinda

ecstasy_civic
11-22-2002, 02:43 PM
cool thats to bad he got hurt, its such a physically demanding sport

GreenLude
11-22-2002, 02:45 PM
ive never met him, actually i didnt even know he had a son:burnout: is he a fighter?
ya he is, i've only seen him get into one fight at a bar, i felt bad for the other guy he goes OWN3D.

ecstasy_civic
11-22-2002, 02:47 PM
lol nice well i guess when your dad was one of the best fighters in the world it'll rub off on ya :clap:
i got my brother in law to show me the flying elbow smash:rofl: im kinda scared to use it. he said i could kill someone lol ive gotten pretty good at some of the stuff.

ninspeed
11-22-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by GreenLude

ya he is, i've only seen him get into one fight at a bar, i felt bad for the other guy he goes OWN3D.

Yeah, Jesse Miles is a very gifted fighter. I know I sure wouldn't want to fight him in a bar that's for damn sure!

Yeah, kickboxing can be brutal, one of the competitions my brother did, he had pneumonia on the day of his fight but fought anyway...just about died but he still ended up 1st!

Melinda

ecstasy_civic
11-22-2002, 03:02 PM
wow,well trev was feeling a bit under the weather i think but fought as hard as he could i think it was the direct heel to the ribs that clenched the win for him lol.
your brother must have been pretty good heh?

ninspeed
11-22-2002, 03:07 PM
Yeah he 'retired' first in his category in Alberta (it's been a few years though since he finished). He got kicked in the chest during that one fight when he was sick and it knocked the wind right out of him. He wasn't feeling too great after that. I haven't kept up too much with Mike Miles' gym since Bry left, anyone know what happened to Jason Fenton? Did he stay with the gym? Or Leave?

Melinda

ecstasy_civic
11-22-2002, 03:10 PM
as far as i know hes gone now, but that was the last i heard he lived w/ my sister for like 2 years, her,chad,kyle and jason. i was waiting to hear about anybody trying to get into there place and getting a big suprise. :rofl: three champion muay thai kick boxers lol

LowRiderHD2000
11-22-2002, 03:12 PM

I've seen Jesse fight outside of the ring also. He's got some crazy skills. The guy he was fighting actually put up a good fight.

ninspeed
11-22-2002, 03:15 PM
HAHA yeah that would be hilarious. Hate to be that guy!

I see Keith Crawford a lot when I'm out and about around the city but haven't heard much about Jason. A friend of mine, Kirbi MacInnes, trains (and competes) at Mike's, and she mentioned a few months ago that Jason was having some problems there...Haven't heard anything since. :dunno: He was Bryan's fave instructor while he was there.

Melinda

ecstasy_civic
11-22-2002, 03:22 PM
ya i didnt mind jason hes a funny guy , except when he was all over my gf at trev's party and i mean all over and it was funny cause i just walked over and he pretended to be all scared of me when i was actually thinkin oh fuck im gonna die lol.

ninspeed
11-22-2002, 03:25 PM
ya i didnt mind jason hes a funny guy , except when he was all over my gf at trev's party and i mean all over and it was funny cause i just walked over and he pretended to be all scared of me when i was actually thinkin oh fuck im gonna die lol.

Haha yeah Jason's a chillin guy. He used to come over a lot to play video games and stuff with my bro.

Melinda

ninspeed
11-22-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by LowRiderHD2000

I've seen Jesse fight outside of the ring also. He's got some crazy skills. The guy he was fighting actually put up a good fight.

Yeah, but to tell ya the truth, Jesse was probably holding back a bit. When they start at the gym they sign a contract saying that they won't use the stuff they are learning outside of the ring. If Mike ever found out that Jesse was out at the bar kickin the S#*T out of someone, he'd kick the S#*T out of Jesse

Melinda

ecstasy_civic
11-22-2002, 03:41 PM
Yeah, but to tell ya the truth, Jesse was probably holding back a bit. When they start at the gym they sign a contract saying that they won't use the stuff they are learning outside of the ring. If Mike ever found out that Jesse was out at the bar kickin the S#*T out of someone, he'd kick the S#*T out of Jesse
very true:burnout:

AMG
11-22-2002, 04:01 PM
I agree with Muay Thai being the best. It's the most functional on the street, and I've seen a lot of Dojo Queens get owned by Muay Thai boys.

GiZm0_112
11-25-2002, 08:14 PM
yo whats up guy's my sis has been talking me up on here about kick boxing & Muay Thai for a bit names bryan and ive been doin it for about 6 years

i think it is the best martal art out there you dont have to be big to reck and it is great on the street an you get life long friends and a great work out

Bryan

van
11-25-2002, 09:24 PM
I have my 2nd degree black belt in TKD

ecstasy_civic
11-26-2002, 01:33 AM
hows it goin bryan?:thumbsup:

Toma
11-26-2002, 02:13 AM
I have been working the bar/club scene for 16 years.... I have seen quite a few fights ;) ....

The BEST fighters are REAL boxers with street smarts and experience. The problem with a bar fight is lack of space. If you are close enough to try and deliver a knee, he is close enough to give you a 2 or 3 hit combo that will knock you out in about the time it takes you to lift your leg.... There were these 2 brothers about 7 years ago..... They had boxed for 2 years, and loved to bar fight. Probably fought 2 times a week and never lost a bar fight in the 3 years I knew them, probably only weighed 175 to 185. Most their fights were over in 10 seconds or less....

Now, in a ring?? Different story..... depends on the rules.... are you allowed to knee/elbow? Grapple? In a ring with onyl one opponenet, you have the room to manuever, and you can get away with grappling cause its only one on one (never the case in real life these days ;) )

Watched the XFC thing at the Palace on Saturday night.... the kickboxers didn't stand a chance....the grapplers easily won most matches.

Although VERY rare, another deadly close quarter fighter is the Olympic style wrestler. I could not beleive what I saw that guy do to a Mike Miles student a few years ago (who will remain nameless ;) ). In all of about 5 seconds, the guy was crying for mercy, it was friggin hilarious.

For shear power, flexibility and striking force, it is VERY hard to beat Tae Kwon Do. The problem with it is, that again you are kicking mid to high. It would probably take 2 years of solid training to be fast enough to get away with using the feet in a street fight against a competent opponent. You can however use a few of the simple kicks to great advantage.... the front snap kick can be learned quickly and is brutal if you connect anywhere. it is probably the fastest kick, and comes almost straight at you, very few people can block a good one. A good side kick will take out a knee from any angle, and if you have some weight/power behind you, it is very hard to block. If you can land a good reverse knife hand to the lower jaw, at the side of the face, sort of angled down, lights out, and hello mr. wired jaw ;)

If I were training to be a good street fighter, I would probably take Boxing and Akido (which combines Tae Kwon Do style footwork with some grappling, pressure points, weapons etc...)

Toma

LUDELVR
11-26-2002, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Toma
In a ring with onyl one opponenet, you have the room to manuever, and you can get away with grappling cause its only one on one (never the case in real life these days ;) )

stop making fun of the asian gangstas man!! hahahaha

For shear power, flexibility and striking force, it is VERY hard to beat Tae Kwon Do. The problem with it is, that again you are kicking mid to high. It would probably take 2 years of solid training to be fast enough to get away with using the feet in a street fight against a competent opponent. You can however use a few of the simple kicks to great advantage.... the front snap kick can be learned quickly and is brutal if you connect anywhere. it is probably the fastest kick, and comes almost straight at you, very few people can block a good one. A good side kick will take out a knee from any angle, and if you have some weight/power behind you, it is very hard to block. If you can land a good reverse knife hand to the lower jaw, at the side of the face, sort of angled down, lights out, and hello mr. wired jaw ;)

Took it for 8 years man! Fucking fun as hell! Just liked it for the competition, and yes, at least 2 years to be able to effectively deliver kicks from the mid to high section. This is a great art for distance fighting but again, I think a well rounded fighter should have knowledge in both close quarters as well as distance fighting.

If I were training to be a good street fighter, I would probably take Boxing and Akido (which combines Tae Kwon Do style footwork with some grappling, pressure points, weapons etc...)

Toma

I totally agree with you here man! Took Boxing for a couple of years as well as aikido for 2 years. Also took judo for a year at the U of L. The instructor was the coach for Canada's Olympic team! I really liked Judo, a lot more than aikido, but again they both have their strengths and weeknesses. As for boxing, I took it when I was really young and then took it again with a friend while I was studying taekwondo. Funny part was that while I was sparring with him, he hit me with a jab and then I stepped back and gave him a spin kick in the head! Fucking hilarious, our coach as laughing his ass off!! hahaha

But yah, I totally think that a good street fighter should have more than one thing going for him or her, because in most instances, no matter how skilled you are in one thing, you better be good and ground fighting cuz it'll almost always end up that way! but then again, I'm a lover, not a fighter!!;) :rofl:

MYKN
11-26-2002, 02:50 AM
I would love to try jeet koon do. Only imagine if you could do the one inch punch as effective as bruce..I think Jeet acn be very effective if you master it...Im also a 2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do...

LUDELVR
11-26-2002, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by MYKN
.Im also a 2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do...

Sweet man, where did you study? Was it ITF or WTF?

MYKN
11-26-2002, 03:01 AM
It was WTF..I was studyin at JUNG's on 17th ave 1989 -1995..I became a junior Instuctor there from 92-95.. What about you leo?

frenchdriver
11-26-2002, 03:15 AM
i have my first degree black belt in Hap Ki Do (hap ki moo do). Took me 6 years to get it. Its been a good 18 months since I stopped training but the basics never leave. You do enough repetative training that alot of stuff becomes part of you.

wish I found a good place to start training again. I'd love to find people that would be interested in training/fighting for fun/experience. Had bad experience with studios and found it more effective to practive with dedicated people. You learn alot more about your fighting skills... well by fighting alot!!!

anyone interested in starting up something like this??? like a club were we could meet up once a week or something and fight and learn new techniques, kicks, etc...

:dunno: :thumbsup:

mwmhong
11-26-2002, 09:27 AM
Wow, neat stories.

I still think that generally speaking Muay Thai>Boxing, but they are VERY CLOSE.
Even at close range, the Thai fighter can clinch.
Then it's trading knees to the head vs. body shots.

However, I have seen footage of challenge matches in Thailand where the western boxer DESTROYS the Thai boxer by cornering them and throwing rapid-fire hooks and uppercuts while they are trapped.
Very brutal.

LUDELVR
11-26-2002, 10:03 AM
It was WTF..I was studyin at JUNG's on 17th ave 1989 -1995..I became a junior Instuctor there from 92-95.. What about you leo?

Fuck off!! I trained there and got my first dan there too! I used to train with Master Yu but didn't like his training. He was too into money and less into his students in my opinion. Anyway, I trained there for like....I don't even know man! Prolly around that time too! Alwyn was my coach for provincials and nationals while I was there. My sparring partners and friends there were Jessie and Mark. Also trained with Alwyn's bro, francis. shit man, did I train the same time as you?

van
11-26-2002, 12:23 PM
The art of going buck wild and trying to kill the guy is the best!

MYKN
11-26-2002, 03:05 PM
You LEO that messed up.. Alwyn and I trained together and went to The JR nationals. Our coach was Floy and my cousin Anthony. It werid i started at Jungs When it first opened..before Floy and ALwyn were even there. Thats soo weird man. Do you ever still talk to alwyn and them??

LUDELVR
11-26-2002, 09:37 PM
You LEO that messed up.. Alwyn and I trained together and went to The JR nationals. Our coach was Floy and my cousin Anthony. It werid i started at Jungs When it first opened..before Floy and ALwyn were even there. Thats soo weird man. Do you ever still talk to alwyn and them??

I remember Alwyn going to Jr. nats with a guy named steve, but that was maybe the year before. Steve ended up leaving and training elsewhere! What's your name anyway? I remember a guy named Anthony. Never trained with him, but he was pretty good! I also heard some loco stories about him and street fights!! hahaha, anyway, I haven't talked to alwyn for ages, last time actually was last year when I visited lethbridge! He's down there now taking criminology! hahaha, to think he'd ever be enforcing the law as opposed to breaking it!! hahaha. Last I heard they opened the school elsewhere. Not sure where though. I'd like to go train again. Getting too lazy!! hahaha

MYKN
11-26-2002, 11:14 PM
Haha yeah Leo, its myke. I met you at the late night meet at crowfoot the one night. I drive the crx. I went to the junior nationals in 1993 in july in edmonton. I placed 3rd in my division. The only people who went were Alwyn and I and one other girl. Yeah anthony was one guy I would not recomend anyone messing with in the street or the dojo...he was extremly good. Were you at Jungs when they started alll the weapon training and stuff??? Yeah they did open a new school somewhere I really wanna go there and check it out.. Get back into the groove. BUt yeah alwyn as a cop..hahaha and didnt he start a boy band too????

LUDELVR
11-27-2002, 12:00 AM
Haha yeah Leo, its myke. I met you at the late night meet at crowfoot the one night. I drive the crx. I went to the junior nationals in 1993 in july in edmonton. I placed 3rd in my division. The only people who went were Alwyn and I and one other girl. Yeah anthony was one guy I would not recomend anyone messing with in the street or the dojo...he was extremly good. Were you at Jungs when they started alll the weapon training and stuff??? Yeah they did open a new school somewhere I really wanna go there and check it out.. Get back into the groove. BUt yeah alwyn as a cop..hahaha and didnt he start a boy band too????

haha, small world man! Yah, he had a band going but I don't think they are singing anymore. That was a few years ago. Shit man, what division were you in? I got 3rd in Jr's too! haha, fuck man, I was supposed to fight in welter and ended up fighting heavy!! hahaa It was so funny cuz in the weigh in I ended up having to place heavy objects in my pockets and they caught me! haha, it's cuz when we registered, I put myself down as heavy by accident and then gave me my card with a "heavy weight" designation! I was the shortest guy and the lightest in my division! Funny shit, but it was a fun nonetheless!

MYKN
11-27-2002, 01:21 AM
What the?? what year did you go to jr's in????? I was in fly or the one above it..i cant remmeber..hah i remember i thought i was heavier than i was so i put it down but at the weigh in i was too light so i had to go and drink LOTS of water to get me up or they would haev disquailified me..shit thats soo funny!!!

LUDELVR
11-27-2002, 01:30 AM
What the?? what year did you go to jr's in????? I was in fly or the one above it..i cant remmeber..hah i remember i thought i was heavier than i was so i put it down but at the weigh in i was too light so i had to go and drink LOTS of water to get me up or they would haev disquailified me..shit thats soo funny!!!

hahaha, I remember times like that! Shit, I remember, people also trying to get down in weight, just dropping everything they could! haha, so shit man, you gonna start training again? If so, let me know, I'd love to get back into it!:thumbsup:

MYKN
11-27-2002, 01:37 AM
Yeah i want too..My friend Crystal Who is also a second dan and trained at jungs also... got back into and and wants to get to the next olympics..i think she is trainin at the new school..Ill look into it and well go from there..haha ill spar you at the next meet..bring your cup hahahah..kidding

CLiVE
11-27-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by frenchdriver
i have my first degree black belt in Hap Ki Do (hap ki moo do). Took me 6 years to get it. Its been a good 18 months since I stopped training but the basics never leave. You do enough repetative training that alot of stuff becomes part of you.

wish I found a good place to start training again. I'd love to find people that would be interested in training/fighting for fun/experience. Had bad experience with studios and found it more effective to practive with dedicated people. You learn alot more about your fighting skills... well by fighting alot!!!

anyone interested in starting up something like this??? like a club were we could meet up once a week or something and fight and learn new techniques, kicks, etc...

:dunno: :thumbsup:

I've also been taking Hap Ki Do for close to 6 years also. I'm finally supposed to test for my 1st degree black belt in January..We'll see how that goes...:(

LUDELVR
11-27-2002, 06:04 PM
Yeah i want too..My friend Crystal Who is also a second dan and trained at jungs also... got back into and and wants to get to the next olympics..i think she is trainin at the new school..Ill look into it and well go from there..haha ill spar you at the next meet..bring your cup hahahah..kidding

are you talking Crystal Mehan? Jill's daughter? hahah, if so, that's fucking crazy dude, she went to juniors with me! hahaha, man, I miss it so much and just talking about it is crazy. She's a 2nd dan now? Shit man, I'm starting to slip in my old age! I'd love to go to the olympics, but my legs are just not that long!! hahahaha

MYKN
11-28-2002, 01:25 AM
Yeah Crystal Mehan..I used to be her instructor..i was a black belt when she started at the school.. I went to highschool with her and she went on to become a stamps outrider. Anyways shes training again. BUt yeah we should get off our lazy asses and do something.

LUDELVR
11-28-2002, 01:37 AM
Yeah Crystal Mehan..I used to be her instructor..i was a black belt when she started at the school.. I went to highschool with her and she went on to become a stamps outrider. Anyways shes training again. BUt yeah we should get off our lazy asses and do something.

She's a fucking outrider!!!!! Holy shit. Funny part is that I saw her at lindsey park and she looked pretty hot! But that was a few years ago! Shit man, one of the girls in my class is an outrider! I gotta check to see if they know eachother, chances are that they do though! Man, have you seen her lately? She's prolly of age now isn't she!! hahaha, what about that other chick...Kristen or krista or something that sounds like Krystal. She never made it to black belt though. She was cute too!

MYKN
11-28-2002, 01:49 AM
Crystal has been of age for a long time now since 99..and YES KRista was smokin hot..I left about 4 months after they started at Jung's. Krista is soooo hot. BUt yeah crystal was dating some black belt from the new school when i last seen her. but yeah lets start up again and mack all the hotties.

LUDELVR
11-28-2002, 01:53 AM
Crystal has been of age for a long time now since 99..and YES KRista was smokin hot..I left about 4 months after they started at Jung's. Krista is soooo hot. BUt yeah crystal was dating some black belt from the new school when i last seen her. but yeah lets start up again and mack all the hotties.

r u kidding me! That's why I took it for so long! All the competitions and shit! hahahaha, and yah, some of the chicks weren't bad at all! Krysta was dating some zero back in the day and I forget his name. Oh well, but I'd love to see her again! hahaha But yah, I also remember diana, master yu's daughter, but I don't remember if she was hot or not! But find out where the new school is and see if we get a discount or something!! hahahha oh yah, and find out if there are any hotties!

MYKN
11-28-2002, 02:19 AM
HAH yeah man..Ill look into and and me and you will go up there..I wonder if any of the hotties will be able to kick my out of shape ass! Hey do you still remember you black belt patterns..or any of them for that matter??

LUDELVR
11-28-2002, 10:42 AM
HAH yeah man..Ill look into and and me and you will go up there..I wonder if any of the hotties will be able to kick my out of shape ass! Hey do you still remember you black belt patterns..or any of them for that matter??

I was actually trying to remember them, and I forgot a few of the colored belts but I remember the 1st, 2nd and third dan patterns. It's funny though cuz I just gave a lesson at my school in one of my classes on Tae Kwon Do and I did some demos. I got my friend to put on the head gear and chest proctector and then I demonstrated the basic kicks and I just wound up and nailed him and you know how loud it can get when it connects. Anyway, he was like wallowing in pain (but it really wasn't that bad! haha) and everyone's like Ow!!!!! hahah, funny shit though, after doing that lesson for my ed class, I totally wanted to get back into it!

MYKN
11-28-2002, 03:19 PM
Okay nice.TKD has the best kicks!!..I will look into it and let you know whats up..