PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tires

interlude
10-13-2004, 04:16 PM
What kind of winter tires do you guys use? This will be my first winter on rear wheel drive on my e46.

I was looking into the Michelin X-Ice there was some pretty good feedback on www.1010tires.com

or the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's

Im not that huge of the Blizzaks anymore because they are fat more expensive and the ratings on them are actually lower than the ones I mentioned above.

What do you guys think?

Clem
10-13-2004, 04:31 PM
I had Arctic Alpins when I drove my car in winter. Great tires on snow and ice.

I hear a lot of good things about Nokian too and they're fairly cheap.

Will@STRD
10-13-2004, 04:35 PM
I have Apline 2 and they are great on snow!!
Blizzak is over-priced

interlude
10-13-2004, 05:00 PM
Will your gay.. I tried calling you today and Lorne said you were busy (it Alfie by the way) Call me!

m10-power
10-13-2004, 06:55 PM
Continental ExtremeContact, awesome all season tire, snow tires are for the weak :poosie:

max_boost
10-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Yo so you want to join the club or what man? Also, what size tires do you need?

This year I'm going with Kumho KW17's but I've had Blizzaks MZ02, WS50 and Michelin Pilot Alpins before, all great tires. You can't really go wrong with any of them. If you want a performance winter tire like the Blizzak LM22, of course it'll be much more expensive. However, it handles much better as the other tires are more soft and you really feel the ride difference on dry roads.

bol
10-13-2004, 10:55 PM
I'm going with Toyo Garit HT's this year. Been running Pirelli Snowsport 210's until now. We'll see how the Toyo's stack up!

Kaos
10-13-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by m10-power
Continental ExtremeContact, awesome all season tire, snow tires are for the weak :poosie:
ahahaha you are insane man. I could imagine you sliding all over the place.

Originally posted by max_boost
Yo so you want to join the club or what man? Also, what size tires do you need?

This year I'm going with Kumho KW17's but I've had Blizzaks MZ02, WS50 and Michelin Pilot Alpins before, all great tires. You can't really go wrong with any of them. If you want a performance winter tire like the Blizzak LM22, of course it'll be much more expensive. However, it handles much better as the other tires are more soft and you really feel the ride difference on dry roads.

I was gonna go for the kw-17 as well but the price on those are too pricey for me.

Im gonna go with the dunlop graspic's.

interlude
10-14-2004, 12:32 AM
i think im going with the new Michelin X-Ice. It got some really good reviews on www1010tires.com

7thgenvic
10-14-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by interlude
i think im going with the new Michelin X-Ice. It got some really good reviews on www1010tires.com

reallllly good tire, i was just reading about those today at work! don't know how much they cost tho!
can't put a price on being safe tho!
-jonny

Glenn 328is
10-14-2004, 08:41 AM
I have always used Arctic Alpins on my car. I love them - awesome for ice and hard packed snow. The X-Ice is supposed to replace them.

m10-power
10-14-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Kaos

ahahaha you are insane man. I could imagine you sliding all over the place.

Not at all, they worked great last year never had an issue, plus we get snow but the roads dry up or are just wet most of the time anyways, the times is freezes up at night for the morning fun I never had a problem driving around.

Now this is with a 2.0L 6 cylinder, I may change my tune when I try driving the V8 in the snow/ice...I don't think any tire is going to be helpful

omes
10-15-2004, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by interlude
What kind of winter tires do you guys use? This will be my first winter on rear wheel drive on my e46.

I was looking into the Michelin X-Ice there was some pretty good feedback on www.1010tires.com

or the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's

Im not that huge of the Blizzaks anymore because they are fat more expensive and the ratings on them are actually lower than the ones I mentioned above.

What do you guys think?

I have a set of stock 17" M68's for sale with blizzak Lm-22's !

interlude
10-19-2004, 11:57 PM
ok.. ipicked up the X-ICE tires. They are awesome!

I have the E36 type 30 rims on my car with the winter tires. I must say.. these rims look ugly on an e46 lol

QuA
10-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Picked up some Goodyear Ultra Grips. Went to test the tires out on some slippery roads in Rocky Ridge and they were perfect. Stopped instantly on icy surfaces.

interlude
10-20-2004, 01:06 AM
to each his own i guess. lol.. michelin has never failed me yet