PDA

View Full Version : exhaust smoking

AcidPower
11-22-2002, 07:06 PM
I notice the exhaust is more smoking when I ramp on the acc pedal. when idling it is ok.. what happen to my engine?

FYI.. recently I added a bottle of Complete Fuel system cleaner from STP during my last fuel top-up.. and now it almost half-tank left when I notice this smoking thing..could it because this cleaner is cleaning my old engine and hence this smoking occur?

I also add a FuelMax to my fuel in-take line for fuel/mileage saving 2 days ago.. it really work..now my mileage improve by at least 10% more.. but then I notice this smoking thing.. could the FuelMax cauing this?

anyone pls advise...and how to solve this..

:werd:

Ben
11-22-2002, 07:10 PM
that would be your motor running richer than when at idle...some people on here call it "POWERSMOKE"

AcidPower
11-22-2002, 07:14 PM
"POWERSMOKE" ??? oow I like that term:D

does this really happen to my car now???
how long will this last? cos' I can't really going around in my town with that "extra" smoke whenever I try to pick up or ramp on the acc.. the Traffic police will come after me in no time..

FYI .. I also just change my Fuel Filter yesterday...

Ben
11-22-2002, 07:19 PM
could be a number of things...what kind of car is this again? age?

AcidPower
11-22-2002, 07:25 PM
a japaness Nissan Presea.. abt 10yr old car.. 1.6 Auto

hjr
11-22-2002, 07:46 PM
black or blue or white??? :?:

black - bad air fuel ratio
blue - ouch : rings, valve seals ...
white - condensation

AcidPower
11-22-2002, 07:55 PM
can't really tell what colour... but sure it is not BLACK.. cos' it look more like grey to me... sorry me new to this stuff..

will go check it out again later

GTS Jeff
11-22-2002, 10:32 PM
tell us what it smells like:

sweet - coolant
burning - oil
gas - rich

rage2
11-22-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by AcidPower
can't really tell what colour... but sure it is not BLACK.. cos' it look more like grey to me... sorry me new to this stuff..

will go check it out again later

Most ppl mistake light blue smoke (oil) for grey. Most likely it's oil burning. Rings/Seals are going due to age. Maybe the fuel cleaner had something to do with it? I've never used that stuff (and don't plan to).

White is coolant, you can't mistaken it... REALLY sweet smell, smell it a mile away, and the smoke is REALLY thick.

Pole Position
11-23-2002, 02:36 AM
Valve seals will be blue smoke, but you will only notice it during start up. After the engine is warm, it will go away. Basically if its blue, it is buring some type of oil (engine or tranny oil). PCV system might be faulty, oil is diluted by fuel, etc.

hjr
11-23-2002, 03:50 AM
sounds like your in a bit of trouble. Blue (grey/blue) is bad, but sweet white is way worse.

Blue means you might need an engine rebuild. It kinda sounds like you rings are going, because it puffs at da high RPMs

Be thankful its not sweet though, that usually means a cracked head (bad news) Thats what happened to my folks ol' motorhome. They lent it to a friend and he got from one side of edmonton to the other when it lost power and quit. It was a 460ci ford big block (found in lincoln mrk ?2?) that pulled the homer. When it got back to the house, we ran it to see what was wrong, and ill tell you, burning coolant is the sweet sweet smell of an engine completely toasting. Damn crackedc head, my folks took quite a hit on that one :(

ohh well, life goes on.....

AcidPower
11-23-2002, 05:54 AM
sure smell like burning..not sweet of cos'
ya..maybe the cleaner might be too powerful and clean away too much carbon..

GTS Jeff
11-23-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by AcidPower
sure smell like burning..not sweet of cos'
ya..maybe the cleaner might be too powerful and clean away too much carbon.. dude, dont put so much faith in that stuff...some say it works, i say if its too good to be true, then it probably is. if the worlds problems could be solved by pouring a can of stuff in along with your gas, mechanics would be out of business.

anyway, what car do u drive and how many kms are on the engine?

ecstasy_civic
11-23-2002, 01:30 PM
you know alot of people come int work and ask this same question
we have 2 licenced mechanics at work and when i told them my car blows smoke we went out and they followed me and stomped on it, it came out black but they said it was only when i was about to shift so its high rpm,s which means its running rich beacuse the engine needs more fuel at high rpms and when it gets the fuel it needs it has to get rid of it somehow.
so if thats your problem no worries. but make sure you check.
just my opinion.
oh and as far as what jeff said its totally true we sell this shit at work that is "really supposed to work" 100 bucks. it doest really work and you have to be so carefull when you do it or you can blow the head, thats how potent it is and it doesnt even work. so for 100 bucks you have the chance of blowing a head and pissing away 100 bucks.

Pole Position
11-23-2002, 01:49 PM
If it doesn't work, why do you guys sell them? It is even worse when you said there is a chance of blowing a head...

ecstasy_civic
11-23-2002, 05:20 PM
ya thats why i dont sell them, i get in trouble for not selling them, if it doesnt work i dont sell it. the aerosol spray for the intake manifold works but thats it.

AcidPower
11-24-2002, 02:10 AM
ya..maybe u guys are right.. cos' the smoking issue only occur after I travelled on a highway for a while... at higher rpm..

I did some self-checking today.....
firstly.. 10km of highway travel non-stop for half an hour and it really smoking hell when I ramp on the acc.

but after I stopped the car, cool it down and travel back using the city area or smaller road.. I did get to see smoke from my rear mirror. Even stop on the roadside and ramp.. NO visiable smoke

really funny?.. cos' if the ring is worn-out.. then there must be smoke blowing even at lower and higher rmp.. am I right?

or.. could it be my engine now is running too rich after the clearner stuff..

so what do u guys think?

FYI.. me driving a 1992 Nissan Presea... odometer is abt 215000km