PDA

View Full Version : places to get zex nitrous kits in calgary?

2000impreza
06-15-2002, 03:56 PM
i've decided to get a zex dry nitrous kit. i'm looking for places in calgary stocks zex kits:confused: the kit i'm looking for is (Zex Part #82011) for honda/acura's. most places in edmonton sell these kits for $850-$900.

i have some extra cash to burn this summer and want a little extra power :devil:

shadowz
06-15-2002, 04:00 PM
Dont waste your money on ZEX get either NOS or Nitrous Express way better systems that use solonoids the ZEX system isnt very good, blows lots of motors

2000impreza
06-15-2002, 05:38 PM
really? i've heard of more motors being blown with nos than zex. i know a few guys with zex kits installed on their civic sir's and haven't had any problems. do you know of any specific cars thats blown their engines with zex kits? and how big of shots were they running?

WBB6
06-15-2002, 05:46 PM
You can probably find that alot of people have thrown their ZEX Kits in the garbage...I have heard that they are crappy kits, the "so-called" purple box that controls everything is total garbage!!!

2000impreza
06-15-2002, 05:51 PM
this is so wacked out. just yesterday i thought i decided on a zex kit cause a friend was telling me how much better it is and how accurate the purple control box is. i don't want a wet kit because of the intake manifold design of the impreza so nitrous express is out. so i should go nos then?

WBB6
06-15-2002, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
this is so wacked out. just yesterday i thought i decided on a zex kit cause a friend was telling me how much better it is and how accurate the purple control box is. i don't want a wet kit because of the intake manifold design of the impreza so nitrous express is out. so i should go nos then?

Forget NOS, it's just cheap power...save your money for a turbo or something!!!

boi-alien
06-15-2002, 08:14 PM
yea, zex kit's are known to blow motors. NOS or NX kits are a little bit better. but if u really want to go with the purple box, i think all the performance shops in calgary will carry them

2000impreza
06-15-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by WBB6

two reasons, first being that i'm still in school i need my car to be reliable for another year atleast and second, i aready have a engine that needs some work, turbo, ic and a few other parts but that will come later because of the first reason.

so yes, i'm looking for some cheap hp. hehe. i will look into NOS(nitrous oxide system) kits too. what shops will have the best prices around calgary for nitrous kits?

these are the kits i'm looking for:
ZEX 82011
NOS 05123

also i'm looking to spend ~$900 for a new nitrous kit. so if anyone has a used one they are looking to sell i'm intrested too.

shadowz
06-15-2002, 09:29 PM
For sure it wont be hard for you to find a NOS or NX kit for around 900 its all up to what you want your kit to do, id try mopac and get them to give you some choices, but yes the ZEX box hasnt been tested very much but still there are some that run properly and some that go drastically wrong, i wouldnt take that chance, NOS has been around for a long time and is one of the best nitrous kits around, but yes get a turbo!

WBB6
06-15-2002, 10:10 PM

two reasons, first being that i'm still in school i need my car to be reliable for another year atleast and second, i aready have a engine that needs some work, turbo, ic and a few other parts but that will come later because of the first reason.

Well after using NOS, I dunno how reliable your car will be, you are taking the SAME risk as Turbo etc...because it is still Forced Induction!

I've seen more motors blown because of NOS than Turbo's forsure!

but then again, a properly setup NOS system is very reliable too!

remember - I am just stating my Opinion....

max_boost
06-15-2002, 11:50 PM
You should just keep your money and put it towards better use.

NOS is gay IMO

redline
06-16-2002, 12:22 AM
You just need to be careful with Nitrous cause you are basicly shooting pure o2 into the combustion chamber and it burns hotter (very basic answer) then a turbo or SC.

If the Nitrous setup is done carefully then it should be just as good.

Contempory Motorsports sells ZEX.

Fluidic
06-16-2002, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by redline

Contempory Motorsports sells ZEX.

Same with Impressions just off 32nd Ave.

:)

Weapon_R
06-16-2002, 04:41 AM
Run a NOS or NX system, don't bother with ZEX. They have a shitty reputation - the only reason you have heard otherwise is because they've correctly marketed their product to imports where NX and NOS have mistakingly ignored for many years. NOS has been around for a long long time, so try their products. As long as you don't go over ~40% of what your engine HP ratings are, you shouldnt have a problem using nitrous if you use it in moderation.

RGAGT
06-16-2002, 11:32 AM
If your Still looking for Zex Try Unlimited Performance

2000impreza
06-16-2002, 12:30 PM
thanks for the suggestions. i don't think i'm going to get a zex kit anymore. i'll look into NOS and nitrous express kits. so places i should start looking are:

mopac
contemporary motorsports
impressions
unlimited performance

also how much does NOS and NX kits cost? i don't want to spend more than $900 on the kit itself plus another $75 to fill the bottle. so ~$1000 in all.

Weapon_R
06-16-2002, 01:29 PM
thanks for the suggestions. i don't think i'm going to get a zex kit anymore. i'll look into NOS and nitrous express kits. so places i should start looking are:

mopac
contemporary motorsports
impressions
unlimited performance

also how much does NOS and NX kits cost? i don't want to spend more than $900 on the kit itself plus another $75 to fill the bottle. so ~$1000 in all.

A nice nos kit should only cost about $800 dollars at Mopac, they are pretty well priced. Filling up the bottle is about $75. Does anyone know how much it is to install a nitrous kit?

2000impreza
06-16-2002, 03:59 PM
nitrous kits are pretty easy to install depending on which kit you get. zex kit is most simple to install. nos and nitrous express kits take a bit longer because more parts involved. either way if you take your time it should be ok.

Weapon_R
06-16-2002, 04:20 PM
nitrous kits are pretty easy to install depending on which kit you get. zex kit is most simple to install. nos and nitrous express kits take a bit longer because more parts involved. either way if you take your time it should be ok.

Well doesn't it take some tuning? Or just run the wires and push a button? Who does it in Calgary the RIGHT way and how much do they charge?

2000impreza
06-16-2002, 04:40 PM
i would imagine any shop that sells the kits can probably install it for you too. labour cost depends on the kit.

trendkill
06-16-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by WBB6

your just jeolous cause i would smoke ya!!!:woot: hahhaha, just teasing bobby

trendkill
06-16-2002, 10:31 PM
yea get the NOS kit. i have had good luck with it. and to fill a bottle is only 50 bucks the first time and 40 after.

i have never herd of 75 bucks to fill that damb thing b4

2000impreza
06-16-2002, 10:55 PM
trendkill where did you get your kit from and how much did it cost? also where you get your bottle filled at? i heard it cost $7.50 per lbs of nitrous. so that would equal $75 for a 10lbs bottle.

trendkill
06-16-2002, 11:26 PM
i had my kit installed 3 years ago at ground zero raceing. there a bunch of domestic boys. dont know if there still around or not????

i payed 650 for the kit and 300 for install.

get my bottle filled at GUYON RACEING here in calgary.

Weapon_R
06-16-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by trendkill
i had my kit installed 3 years ago at ground zero raceing. there a bunch of domestic boys. dont know if there still around or not????

i payed 650 for the kit and 300 for install.

get my bottle filled at GUYON RACEING here in calgary.

Thats a great price to refill. Anywhere i've asked, its $7.00-$7.50/lb to fill, and a 10 lb bottle will run you $75. Thats where I got my prices from.

Weapon_R
06-16-2002, 11:44 PM
Sorry this is a little off topic andI think 2000imprezza's question has been answered...but how exactly is a nos kit used? I mean, do you push the button on take off, or do u use it like F&F style and wait till you start moving? And when is the right time to use it? How long does a "push" last? Does Nitrous keep spraying out, or only as long as you hold the button down?

How does it feel when you have 60-100hp into your engine suddenly?

trendkill
06-16-2002, 11:56 PM
most kits for our cars are controlled with a throttle switch. only at full throttle will the the spray start. there is a main arming switch u push and from there its all on ya foot to provide the rest.

too hard to explain the power from N20 u just hafta be in there to imagine it.

Weapon_R
06-17-2002, 12:18 AM
So then, only when I have WOT, will the nozzles spray, after the main arming switch is pressed? What if you take ur foot off the gas slightly, does the spray stop? And doesn't it totally jerk when that happens?

trendkill
06-17-2002, 10:11 AM
yea, when u let off the WOT it shuts off again.

Fluidic
06-17-2002, 08:40 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEETTTT!!!

I want to get some NOS for my car now!!

I am serious... hmmm... can Nitrous be used with Drive-By-Wire throttle systems like the one in my car?

Peter

2000impreza
06-17-2002, 10:45 PM
the ZEX kit might work for the drive by wire throttle system. all it needs is a line that puts out over 4.2V going WOT. i don't know the voltage range of the drive by wire system so i don't know for sure. maybe check a service manual for the voltage range or even a wire diagram.

the NOS kit might work but you will have to get creative how to mount the micro switch(WOT switch). i've heard of people mounting it under the gas pedal on the bump stop.

with the drive by wire system you don't have a mechanical throttle cable system so i don't know what will work or what won't.

Fluidic
06-17-2002, 10:52 PM
Hmmm..... I really want to have more :burnout: .... anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks for the quick blurb 2000impreza!

Peter

CRXguy
06-17-2002, 10:56 PM
Peter!!

Sharpen up your driving skillz before you do anything else to your car!!!:D

Fluidic
06-17-2002, 11:00 PM
--- you mean destroy my syncro-mesh?

LOL

max_boost
06-17-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
Hmmm..... I really want to have more :burnout: .... anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks for the quick blurb 2000impreza!

Peter

Supercharger man! Then you can compete with stock Vr6!:eek: j/k:thumbsup: :burnout:

Fluidic
06-17-2002, 11:50 PM
The charger is nice, but it's a "roots" charger... not very efficient... and well... I dunno... a charger... hmmmm....

Peter

Ben
06-18-2002, 12:00 AM
The charger is nice, but it's a "roots" charger... not very efficient... and well... I dunno... a charger... hmmmm....

Peter

Charger, NOS, Injectors, Schumacher...:rofl:

Peter man, NOS THE BOSS!!!

Fluidic
06-18-2002, 12:03 AM
MSD Benny??
Neuspeed??
K&N??
ABD??

Benny dude... what did you do to your car since I last saw you?? :eek: :eek:

Peter

B18C
06-18-2002, 12:04 AM

Peter

You mean the same type of charger that is in Kenny's AMG?

Ben
06-18-2002, 12:06 AM
MSD Benny??
Neuspeed??
K&N??
ABD??

Benny dude... what did you do to your car since I last saw you?? :eek: :eek:

Peter

well...y'see...I ordered a whack of shit a few months ago...i never told anyone, and itall came in pretty much all at once...:rofl: :bigpimp:

Went from rich to poor pretty damn quick...

Fluidic
06-18-2002, 12:07 AM
Talk to you on ICQ about this... back on topic people!! :)

Fluidic
06-18-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by B18C

You mean the same type of charger that is in Kenny's AMG?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Kenny has a centrifugal super charger.

Peter

B18C
06-18-2002, 10:53 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Kenny has a centrifugal super charger.

Peter

Hmmm...I've always thought that it was a Roots? :dunno: