PDA

View Full Version : Any Pilots?

Lanks
10-16-2004, 12:41 AM
Just wondering if there are any pilots on this site.

SwitchBlade
10-16-2004, 01:48 AM
Groundpilots ;)

Illusionsir
10-16-2004, 02:57 AM
Ya 5.9R/T is a Damn good Pilot. im sure he`ll whore this thread right up, haha :D

LancerShelby
10-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Don't become a pilot. Low Low cash, takes forever to get anything good, you're knees will get worn out trying to get flying at any place, they're all the same. You'll be washing, cleaing, waxing, emptying garbages, answering phones and being the Chief Pilots' bitch!!! $50 000 just for school, and you'll make like $10/hr after:rolleyes: Fuck that. If you want to fly, try getting into the Canadian Forces flying helicopters, they need people.
Rant off.

civicrider
10-22-2004, 08:42 PM
meh its not that bad once you get your lisence just gotta goto some crap place and build up your hours then come back here fly a 747 and you make good cash!

~Leah~
10-22-2004, 09:20 PM
i have a few friends in the program at MRC right now...

Kobe
10-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by LancerShelby
Don't become a pilot. Low Low cash, takes forever to get anything good, you're knees will get worn out trying to get flying at any place, they're all the same. You'll be washing, cleaing, waxing, emptying garbages, answering phones and being the Chief Pilots' bitch!!! $50 000 just for school, and you'll make like $10/hr after:rolleyes: Fuck that. If you want to fly, try getting into the Canadian Forces flying helicopters, they need people.
Rant off.

What are you taling about, my buddies dad is a pilot, flys to korea, and china and crap, they live on "the slopes" house is like 1-2 Million dollars, and the mom dosn't even work,

BlackArcher101
10-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Kobe, How old is your buddies dad? Odds are he's close to 45-50. Only older captains of "heavy" aircraft make this money, and there are few of those around. Most pilots won't come close to making this amount of cash.

When you are first starting off your pilot career, your main focus is always hours, not cash. That's why entry level pilots flying the bush or right hand seats for charters make shit cash. All they are there for is the hours and experience to get to that better employer. However, this takes a long time and it's faily normal to make no money until you are close to 30. It takes pure dedication to get to your first respectable job and most people quit in the process after getting their commerical.

I was going to continue my piloting and make it a career, but decided it wasn't for me as the work getting to be that "million dollar pilot" is enourmous and takes some luck also (+ lot's of cash in training). Now I just stick with it as a hobby.

BBMac
10-22-2004, 10:52 PM
cool job but commercial work is hard to find and there are a lot of hours needed to become a comercial pilot. money isn't everything!!

BlackArcher101
10-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
i have a few friends in the program at MRC right now...

That's too bad, they should have done some more research before hand. I looked at that program for a while and talked with a lot of people in the industry. They did not look upon Mount Royal as being very good at all.

It's basically a glorified flight school, that gives you a peice of paper called a diploma which is useless for becoming a pilot. To be a pilot these days, you require a degree from a university. That is, if you plan on being hired by a major airline. If bush planes/small compaines are what they want in their future, then by all means....

Kobe
10-23-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Kobe, How old is your buddies dad? Odds are he's close to 45-50. Only older captains of "heavy" aircraft make this money, and there are few of those around. Most pilots won't come close to making this amount of cash.

When you are first starting off your pilot career, your main focus is always hours, not cash. That's why entry level pilots flying the bush or right hand seats for charters make shit cash. All they are there for is the hours and experience to get to that better employer. However, this takes a long time and it's faily normal to make no money until you are close to 30. It takes pure dedication to get to your first respectable job and most people quit in the process after getting their commerical.

I was going to continue my piloting and make it a career, but decided it wasn't for me as the work getting to be that "million dollar pilot" is enourmous and takes some luck also (+ lot's of cash in training). Now I just stick with it as a hobby.

His about 40ish, young guy, but his never home, his home for 5 days a month, He says his dad loves it..

5.9 R/T
10-23-2004, 03:32 AM
There is so much misinformation in this thread I hesitate to post. Yes it is a lot of work when you start off, sometimes you end up doing bitch jobs and sometimes you land your own right seat and on the very rare occasion your own left seat. Every job is like that though. And there are no 'million dollar pilots', at least not at the commercial level. Trans atlantic/pacfic flying offers the best pay as it usually tops out at around 300g USD. MRC is not a bad program, unless you talk to another flight school, although there are those companies out there that had a bad experience with a student at some point and that has soured them. But this can and has happened with any training school. It is always wise to get a degree no matter what industry you go into, especially with aviation since if something happens and you fail a medical you need something to fall back on. But at the same time you do not NEED one. Currently there are pilots flying with AC and WJ and several other com. carriers that have only a diploma or little to no post secondary at all. The requirements rise and fall with the industry. Currently there are more pilots then jobs due to all the recent bankruptcies, but in ~10 years or so there will be more jobs then pilots due to all the forced retirements and lack of interrest in learning to fly. And finally flying for the military and getting everything paid for is great, until you find out that your committed to them for 5-10 years and once you get out you find that fewer and fewer companies are hiring AF pilots.

Bottom line though is that becoming a pilot is not for everyone, you have to be willing to make a lot of sacrifices to succeed, and you CANNOT be in it for the money. If you are you won't last 6 months.

Oh, and I have the best view from my office: :D
Photo courtesy Ben. :thumbsup:

Lanks
10-23-2004, 08:34 AM
^^Good call... I was just interested to see out of 20000 beyonders (or whatever) how many are pilots because pilots usually like things that are fast ie cars... although we can't afford them:)