PDA

View Full Version : Just something to think about when streetracing guys. Be careful out there

Redlyne_mr2
11-23-2002, 01:06 PM
This sort of puts a good perspective on streetracing...its just not worth it
From the [H]ard Forum

By Far Side
Listen up...

Tonight was one of the most shocking nights I have ever had. Some of you may know I'm a volunteer firefighter. I don't get to ride in the cool fire-truck, I'm stuck driving a 99 F-250 "Emergency Response Team" truck (carries the other diver and I and all of the medical/diving/fire/EMS equipment). Anyway we were on our way back from a small kitchen fire when we got behind a semi ricey Eclipse GS-X a pretty ricey Accord V6 and a Camaro RS (this is on a 4 lane road). Now the fuckers had been racing each other light to light and swerving past all slower traffic. So once we got behind them we were going to radio in their plates but before we could the light turned green and off they went.

About maybe a quarter mile ahead was a mini-van (Dodge I beleive) that had turned the way they were going. The Accord in the far right lane was being blocked by the mini van so decided to cut off on the shoulder and attempt to pass the van. Well the rumble strip sort of pulled the car further to the right more the he expected I guess and he cut back left throwing himself infront of the mini-van and Camaro. The 3 racers had to be doing about 80 by now, but the Accord went sideways into the van and then continued on into the Camaro and then into the cement median doing 83 (what the spedo was stuck at we later found). The van ended up rolling because it tried to cut and miss the accord as it hit it.

When we got up to the scene I almost lost my dinner. I've seen gun shot victims, scraped people off railraod tracks, you name it I've probably seen it but this I just couldn't handle. I ran to the Accord first to see what was there. The driver went through the windshield and into the cement median, what was left of his skull was now somewhere compounded into his shoulders and the median. The passanger was a very beautiful girl about my age (19) whos arm was compound fractured beyond physical recognition, and ears were bleeding like crazy. No seat belt either. (Airbags were both removed because of the momo wheel and "engine management consol" on the passanger side) She had some apparent head injury from the windsheild and was either uncounsious or dead. Nothing I could really do in that car at the time.

I ran over to the Camaro to see what was up there. The guy maye 25 or so was ok. Had his seat belt on and everything. I jsut screamed at him to stay in the car until te cops came.

Off in the distance the fucking Eclipse didn't even stop to see what happened. He fled a fast as his car could go.

Just as I noticed the eclipse, my partner who radio'ed for help and then ran over to van screamed "Chris get the fuck over here". This is where I almost lost it. The van on its side held a mother and 2 children, none which were responsive. I crawled into the middle window where I thought the yougest child was. She had to be maybe 4 at the oldest. No seat belt. Was thrown into the window when it rolled then into the pavement I would have imagined. Her head had a rather obvious dent in it BUT she was breathing. I pulled her through the window.

In the passanger seat was a younger boy maybe 10 whos arm was crushed under the tipped over van. It later had to be amputated but he will live do the the 7 minutes of CPR that we did.

The mother was the only one with her seat belt on, the airbag broke her nose and somehow knocker her out. But she is fine. Was concious by the time we got her son breathing again.

The fucker in the Camaro got cuffed and taken away. The girl in the Accord was airlifted away. The young girl in the van later died tonight/this morning from massive head trauma. The driver of the accord obviously died of the same. The boy in the van will live as well, just one arm short.

Sorry about the bad grammer, I'm still in shock. I doubt I'll get much sleep tonight.

But for you assholes that like to pull this shit on occupied roads please PLEASE PLEASE take it to the track. Save your life and someone elses. I'm done ranting now. For those that read this, thanks.

ecstasy_civic
11-23-2002, 01:17 PM
oh my god i cant believe that, actually i can. theres alot of bad drivers out there, its too bad that it would take that much for some kids to realize what they've done. i hope people read this and think twice about street racing. i do enjoy goofing around sometimes but never to that extent.

shadowz
11-23-2002, 01:18 PM
Wow thats intense, I have seen and heard of safer racing but this just makes me not wanna be part of any kind of streetr racing at all, man some people are idiots

5gluder
11-23-2002, 01:38 PM
Redlyne_mr2, I have great respect you for being a volunteer Firefighter. I fellow at my work used to do the same, it's a hard job to see horrifying circumstances such as the one you encountered last night. Since you actually saw what happened and the ending results it must be pretty hard on you. Sorry that you hard to experience that. The innocent family in the mini-van, so sad to hear what happened to them. My condolences go out the mother of the innocent child.

Pole Position
11-23-2002, 01:40 PM
No matter how many times these kind of stories are being told, people will still streetrace. But hopefully these kind of stories will remind people.

Bad drivers cannot be the blame, it is stupid drivers who use their ass to think.

I was involved in an accident streetracing almost 2 years ago. I was stupid and I was lucky that I wasn't hurt or anything. But I was very scared at that moment.

So guys, take a moment and think about this.

bosa
11-23-2002, 01:40 PM
Man thats intense...Even you know I'm a few years from getting my license,all you drivers on here,and out there,be careful when on the roads at high speeds. Only street race,when they're is noone around you,or else you,and another driver could get hurt when you get careless.And like those dumb idiots did,kept racing light after light,thats kind of pointless.Man,like you either lost or won,no need to keep racing when there are other automobiles around....

Redlyne_mr2
11-23-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by 5gluder
Redlyne_mr2, I have great respect you for being a volunteer Firefighter. I fellow at my work used to do the same, it's a hard job to see horrifying circumstances such as the one you encountered last night. Since you actually saw what happened and the ending results it must be pretty hard on you. Sorry that you hard to experience that. The innocent family in the mini-van, so sad to hear what happened to them. My condolences go out the mother of the innocent child.
actually dude that wasnt my post the source was posted at the top of the thread..I appreciate the response however had this been my experience

5gluder
11-23-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

actually dude that wasnt my post the source was posted at the top of the thread..I appreciate the response however had this been my experience

Yeah i scrolled down and missed the first couple lines, still such a sad story.

van
11-23-2002, 02:11 PM
Man that's fucked up. This is why you shouldn't do that kind of stupid shit on the road especially when you KNOW better and that YOU KNOW there are ALWAYS family vehicles driving around. Nobody deserves to lose their life to show-off how fast their car can be.

Why can't you just dyno it and check there? Same deal. In my opinion anyways.

Sigh.

boi-alien
11-23-2002, 02:14 PM
omg.... i just don't get it... there's a time and place for everything, and public roads are not for street racing... that's just crazy, it really sucks to read/hear about stuff like this

silverEL
11-23-2002, 02:18 PM
Deepest condolences go out the mother of the innocent child.

infamous
11-23-2002, 02:21 PM
i feel so bad for the mother of the child who died. but i hope the guy in the camaro gets life, and i hope that they catch the dumb fucks in the eclipse. this is why i don't like street racing through town when there are other cars around that aren't involved. you never know who's in the car next to you, and to know that you played a part in killing an innocent 4 year old child is something that you would have to live with for the rest of your life. i believe that racing should be kept to a track, or at the bare minimum, at least to side streets in the industrial area where no one else can get hurt other than the people involved....

mike

Luke 96 T/A
11-23-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by infamous
i feel so bad for the mother of the child who died.

mike

I'd feel bad for her... but remember;
she didn't buckle her children into the van!!
she's not completely blameless either.. you should always remember to seatbelt...

max_boost
11-23-2002, 02:44 PM
Yup, its true......Speed Kills and it will catch up to you:rolleyes:

Its terrible to hear about the lost of lives due to such tragic circumstances.....:( :( :(

szw
11-23-2002, 03:33 PM
yes its sad, but more common than you would think, which makes it even more sad.

Mikko
11-23-2002, 03:51 PM
:barf:

Luke is right.
:(

The accord people seemingly got just what they deserved, which is good in a way but also very sad for their loved ones. Then the van, well the mother was probably an idiot (assuming the belts worked). :barf:

I saw a study that only about half of the american drivers (60%) bother buckling up, and far less than that in the rear seat. :banghead:

:barf:

Brutality
11-23-2002, 04:01 PM
There is almost nothing you can say about that? Wow I'm in shock.

hjr
11-23-2002, 05:20 PM
This really proves that seat belts work. I use mine all the time, its a habit now. For the folks that dont, do it for 3 weeks and it'll be a habit for you too.

The wierdest thing is that the folks in the accord wernt buckled up. Im mean shit, your acctually racing down tha road and you dont even consider taking a few seconds for yourself. Alot of the times, the street racers only hurt/kill themselves from a loss of control and busting a median or poll so you think they would get strapped in. All the racers were fizucks but the level of intelligence definetly varied between them, look at the camero guy, definetly more brain matter as seat belt was on and there was not a scratch on him.

I think that the real lesson here is seatbelts. Those with em survived, those without died or were extremly injuded....

oh ya, light draggin is bad. I have more understanding for the large groups of racers who block off country roads and race each other so the only people endangered are themselves.........

RickDaTuner
11-23-2002, 06:45 PM
worst part about all this is that pretty girl got hurt

Street racing= less hot girls

no but seriously Dont street race

GTS Jeff
11-23-2002, 07:05 PM
geez, its stuff liek this that makes me scared to not use a seatbelt..

seirously, it feels unsafe just to drive down a block at 50 without a seatbelt for me

Sketch
11-23-2002, 08:50 PM
Yay! Lets see how fast we can go in a straight line. Drag racing is redneck racing doesn't matter if you drive domestic or import. Drag racing on the street is 10x worse..... that fucker in the Accord deserved what he got (although his death should have been longer and more painful), too bad the Camaro and the Eclipse drivers didn't get their heads caved in too. On the upside the Camaro driver will probably get his candy ass pumped so full of jailhouse cock he'll wish he was never born.

Too bad about the Family, inocent victims of other people's stupidity.

[GaGe]
11-23-2002, 09:01 PM
I hate it when this happens. Something similar happened to my friend. When i was grade 2, my best friend was in his mom's car, and this speeding car ran right into the car, and my friend fell out of the car and got ran over. Difference is that the speeding driver was drunk. If i knew who the fucker driving the speeding car was, i would kick his fucking ass. :guns: :guns:

T5_X
11-23-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
geez, its stuff liek this that makes me scared to not use a seatbelt..

seirously, it feels unsafe just to drive down a block at 50 without a seatbelt for me

even at 0 km/hr a seatbelt can mean the difference between life and death.

And for ppl thinking of replacing the factory airbags with something stupid, DON'T!

Safety first, ALWAYS.

Mikko
11-24-2002, 03:29 AM
Will a four point racing harness prevent the head from reaching the steering wheel?

Air bags are not as much of a saivor as people think. Especially for passengers, they probably do more harm than good for them (at least if buckled up). There is no way they could reach the dash board if wearing their seatbelt.

Other bad things from them is that they can cause ear damage, friction burn on the arms and face, and worse - if you are in the process of turning the steering wheel around, and it deploys, it can slap your arm into your face with incredible strength, causing possible death or other injuries.

All meaning that they are a margainable device for safety and doesn't come close to the importance of having the seatbelts on.

Ben
11-24-2002, 04:12 AM
I wonder what all those clowns who post up wanting to race have to say...shit happens, this stuff is as unpredictable as the weather here in calgary!

hjr
11-24-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by hjr
oh ya, light draggin is bad. I have more understanding for the large groups of racers who block off country roads and race each other so the only people endangered are themselves.........

6 i think that the only way anyone should race on the street it as stated above, where they are only indangering themsleves. It still isnt the best way to do it (at the track its safer and you get a time slip so there is no way to bullshit how fast your car is), but it is the better of the :devil: evils :devil:

:burnout: race safe

T5_X
11-24-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Mikko
Will a four point racing harness prevent the head from reaching the steering wheel?

Air bags are not as much of a saivor as people think. Especially for passengers, they probably do more harm than good for them (at least if buckled up). There is no way they could reach the dash board if wearing their seatbelt.

Other bad things from them is that they can cause ear damage, friction burn on the arms and face, and worse - if you are in the process of turning the steering wheel around, and it deploys, it can slap your arm into your face with incredible strength, causing possible death or other injuries.

All meaning that they are a margainable device for safety and doesn't come close to the importance of having the seatbelts on.

In many current systems, the airbags and seatbelts communicate, if you don't have your seatbelt on, the airbag will deploy faster and fuller, if you do, it will inflate to the point where it cushions further impact, then there's a system like in the new volvos where the seats, seatbelts, side airbags, curtains and front airbags all communicate and deploy based on what sensors pick up as to what the severity and angle of the crash is. As for ppl dying because of airbags? Small children may be becase the top of thier heads are level with the airbag, not wearing a seatbelt makes it much worse and they can easily be killed. An adult wearing a seatbelt? Airbag helps a lot to facial and head injuries because in many cases, thier head will reach the dashboard (people aren't always wearing thier seatbelts properly, thier head can still travel quite far, possibly to the dashboard) it also helps in neck injuries, as there is a cushion there to slow down the head as it snaps forward so quickly and so far. For the driver, if they have thier hands at 9 and 3, then they won't suffer broken noses or other facial injuries from airbags. When I drive, my hands incidently cross in front of my airbag maybe .05% of the time I'm on the road, so its not too likely my arm will be in the way.

With a 5 point belt, chances are you're not gonna buckle yourself up as tight as you would while racing. Your entire body will move forward with the impact, and only the contact points with your body will stop you from moving forward. Your head will move forwards as well (it's not restrained by anything) and could possibly hit the steering wheel (not likely if you're far enough away) real danger here is the action of the head snapping forwards and back so fast. Only way I'd put in a 5 point belt and remove my airbags is if I would always wear a helmet and neck brace every time I got into my car.

I agree though, the seatbelt alone is a much better safety device than an airbag alone.
You live in Sweden, go down to the volvo plant and talk to people about the safety features in thier new cars :)

GTS Jeff
11-24-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
I agree though, the seatbelt alone is a much better safety device than an airbag alone. There is NO airbag system in any car that is designed to be used without a seatbelt. Airbags are supplementary and obviously improper use (ie no seatbelt) is going to cause injuries.

People that say airbags do more harm than good are full of it. When the government made airbags the law, they did so after quite a bit of research and testing, something that all the naysayers have never done.

RiCE-DaDDy
11-25-2002, 12:16 AM
ouch that sucks, so where did this take place?? U.S.??

lammer
11-25-2002, 01:53 AM
holy shit...i always wear my seat belt. fucking racers..

92 Teg-B18A
11-25-2002, 04:16 PM
huh, this kinda puts suffeks arguement for street racing to shame

people can so careless and not realize who they may and did in this case hurt.

hendosa
03-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Sketch
Yay! Lets see how fast we can go in a straight line. Drag racing is redneck racing doesn't matter if you drive domestic or import. Drag racing on the street is 10x worse..... that fucker in the Accord deserved what he got (although his death should have been longer and more painful), too bad the Camaro and the Eclipse drivers didn't get their heads caved in too. On the upside the Camaro driver will probably get his candy ass pumped so full of jailhouse cock he'll wish he was never born.

Too bad about the Family, inocent victims of other people's stupidity.

Man you are sick, nobody deserves that... Sure it is horrible but it's just as a result of somebody being an idiot, and not thinking.
There is a time and place for racing, and it doesn't have to be restricted to the track only, just not roads with TRAFFIC on them!
This is just a good reminder for people to think before doing something, I am sure the guy in the accord would have acted differently if he had read a post such as this beforehand.

Redlyne_mr2
03-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by hendosa

Man you are sick, nobody deserves that... Sure it is horrible but it's just as a result of somebody being an idiot, and not thinking.
There is a time and place for racing, and it doesn't have to be restricted to the track only, just not roads with TRAFFIC on them!
This is just a good reminder for people to think before doing something, I am sure the guy in the accord would have acted differently if he had read a post such as this beforehand.
Why would you reserect this thread it's 2 years old?? Sketch doesn't even post on Beyond anymore...newbies:banghead:

hendosa
03-28-2004, 04:03 PM
OOPS! just saw that, sorry for bringing it up again

GT2NV
03-28-2004, 09:21 PM
well anyways i havent read it before... makes you think twice:(

XylathaneGTR
03-28-2004, 11:40 PM
Wow! back from the dead...
gee...Still makes you think though. I guess we could always use a nice refresher.

Ducati
03-29-2004, 01:32 AM
Here we go again.

We "fucking newbies" have expressed an interest in reading your posts, and assume that we are allowed to respond - or is that not the case. Or we err even worse when, instead of dredging up an old post, we actually post something that perhaps has been posted before.

For our desire to contribute something of value, we get cootslapped with

:repost:

or worse, some assclown will post:closed: or :whocares:

Assholes!

Cut us some fucking slack.
There are now about 48,000 posts on this forum, I suspect that the first criticism to be levelled at me is that I should conduct a search before I post.
That is an onerous chore, and for what - to save one of the forum graybeards 2.5 seconds of time, so he wont have to exert his superiority by clicking some moronic icon and pecking out some insulting shot at the pathetic noob who posted the thread in the first place.

Ok, thats MY RANT for the night.

Redlyne_mr2
03-29-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Ducati
Here we go again.

We "fucking newbies" have expressed an interest in reading your posts, and assume that we are allowed to respond - or is that not the case. Or we err even worse when, instead of dredging up an old post, we actually post something that perhaps has been posted before.

For our desire to contribute something of value, we get cootslapped with

:repost:

or worse, some assclown will post:closed: or :whocares:

Assholes!

Cut us some fucking slack.
There are now about 48,000 posts on this forum, I suspect that the first criticism to be levelled at me is that I should conduct a search before I post.
That is an onerous chore, and for what - to save one of the forum graybeards 2.5 seconds of time, so he wont have to exert his superiority by clicking some moronic icon and pecking out some insulting shot at the pathetic noob who posted the thread in the first place.

Ok, thats MY RANT for the night.

Nobody posted :whocares: :repost: or:closed: what's frustrating is seeing someone get worked up about a comment made by a member 2 years ago who no longer even posts on Beyond. Hendosa made an honest error and thats cool there's no reason for you to get all worked up about this. Thats the way this forum is run:)

colinderksen
03-29-2004, 02:15 AM
So what happened to teh Eclipse?