PDA

View Full Version : For you dyno junkies....

THREE40SEVEN
10-16-2004, 04:42 PM
I just finished tuning my first PTK turbo kit on a 99 mustang GT 4.6 2v.. She uses a Garrett GT40 50 trim turbo @9lbs boost, 42lb squirters, and a lightning MAF. The only other modification that i did was enlarge the turbo inlet piping from 3.5" to 4" to match the MAF. The engine is COMPLETELY stock. The tune is very conservative (11.6 a/f ratio 16 degrees total timing) for engine longevity.
In comparison, the typical centrifical supercharger @ 8lbs on the same car nets 330-350rwhp, and 350-370rwtq on tecmotion's md600 dyno.
After tuning the car on the md600, i took her over to concept1 to spin the rollers on a dynojet to get a comparison. There's a 14.3% difference on hp, but no accurate torque #'s, as it maxed out their dyno at 500rwtq.
We overlayed the dyno curves over a 7.3 powerstroke diesel f250, and the mustang made 100rwhp and 30rwtq more that the truck...
Kinda makes me want to sell my novi1000.....

THREE40SEVEN
10-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Sorry about my shitty photocopy.... Im sure you get the point;)

RickDaTuner
10-16-2004, 04:45 PM
w3rD TO yO brOTHA !

Nince numbers

I wanted to invest in a Dynopack Dyno, unitl i found out they were 100K:eek:

o bad its the end of the season

fast95pony
10-16-2004, 05:44 PM
Holy crap !! Those are BIG numbers .:drool:

Hyper pistons ?? :dunno:

How does the cost/labour/tuning compare to a supercharger ??

Ekliptix
10-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Um, wholy crap. The owner must be pretty happy! What were you able to gain?

Matt are you into your new house?

THREE40SEVEN
10-16-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
Holy crap !! Those are BIG numbers .:drool:

Hyper pistons ?? :dunno:

How does the cost/labour/tuning compare to a supercharger ??
She's all stock allan... We'll see how long it lasts ;)

For the 4.6, they include a tubular k member/control arms in order to gain the space for the piping... So, yes its more expensive, and much more labour intensive.
Tuning a turbo car is very similar to tuning a supercharged car.. Its a matter of how well the MAF is calibrated. We used a lightning maf with this car, so i had her tuned in about 4 hours. Stock maf electronics are much easier to work with, as long as the range of the electronics arent exceeded by the engine requirements. If the MAF is pegged (exceeding 5 volts) it make's tuning very difficult.

Originally posted by Ekliptix
Um, wholy crap. The owner must be pretty happy! What were you able to gain?

Matt are you into your new house?
The owner has yet to drive the car as he's out of the country... I'm sure he'll be pleasanyly surprised ;)

I picked up approx 58rwhp/32rwtq at the peaks, and almost 150rwhp/150rwtq @ 4700rpm :eek:

The new house is "broken in" ;) I've been in since july.

jonnyk
10-17-2004, 01:43 PM
Awesome numbers, Matt! Sounds like you'll be selling a few more of those now ;)

ACX
10-17-2004, 06:46 PM
nice number. those motors aren't renowned for being strong, but with a conservative tune as long as you're A/F and EGTs are looking fine, you should be OK.

I know plenty of stang guys running north of 400 on stock motors.

:thumbsup:

ls/vtec-crx
10-18-2004, 09:36 AM
:thumbsup: wow! good numbers! i wish these damn honda motors that we build could make that much torque. awesome numbers!:thumbsup:

awdterror
10-19-2004, 04:04 PM
500 torque to the wheels, I have a feeling the owner is going to have a face to face meeting with some powdered metal connecting rods if he drives it a lot at that power level.

THREE40SEVEN
10-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by awdterror
500 torque to the wheels, I have a feeling the owner is going to have a face to face meeting with some powdered metal connecting rods if he drives it a lot at that power level.
She SHOULD last for a while (2 weeks- 2 years ;) )... I'll agree that powdered rods and the hypereucraptic pistons will eventually be scattered through out the pan. I dependS on how heavy his right foot is ;)