PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filters

86max
10-17-2004, 12:47 AM
After spending an hour trying to get this fawking oil filter off an sr20det, I tried sticking it on a ka24e just to see if it fit, and it did. So I got to thinking, why aren't the two filters interchangeable? Why can't I just use a ka24 oil filter on the sr20? Or any engine with the same diameter/threading for that matter.

I understand that filters come in many different sizes, but I'm going to use the ka24/sr20 ones as an example. Both filters have the same threading and outside diameter, but the sr20 one is shorter in length. I'm assuming this is because the sr20 motor contains less oil, which means theres less to filter. But why not just thow a ka24 filter on there, what harm can it do? Would replacement intervals increase with the larger filter size? What other affects would it have on the motor?

Basically I'm just curious what a larger/smaller filter than what is specified by the manufacturer will do to an engine, and what determines it's size. Maybe engine oil flow-rate? Temperature range? Accessibility? Efficiency?

:dunno:

canadiandaytona
10-17-2004, 04:19 PM
I've got a Mustang 5.0 Filter on my 2.2.
Things Freaking HUGE compared to the stock 2.2 one.

Overall My Oil seems to stay a little Cooler and Cleaner:thumbsup:

CelicaST-162
10-17-2004, 04:45 PM
Basically, if you put a bigger oil filter on a car that was designed for a smaller filter. You will gain two things such as Extended Service Intervals, and Slightly higher oil capacity.

Team_Mclaren
10-17-2004, 05:16 PM
appearlly the convette oil filter fits in my car too.... i dont think it matters so much..

edit^^what he said..

86max
10-17-2004, 09:28 PM
So theres no negative side effects when using a larger filter? Hmm......I should just start using ka24 ones on the sr20 then lol.

Thanks for the input.

EK 2.0
10-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by 86max
So theres no negative side effects when using a larger filter? Hmm......I should just start using ka24 ones on the sr20 then lol.

Thanks for the input.

if it fits then yes...in most cases filters are different sized because of clearance issues...

I used to use the 4A-GE filter on my 4A-FE when I had it, it was about an inch longer...so more filtering...

but the best advice I can offer you, and I know I will get flamed for this...use an OEM filter...frams are nice and cheap...K&N's are over priced but cool...just USE OEM Andy...

86max
10-18-2004, 07:19 AM
LoL, after my experience with getting that sr20 filter off, I'm using k&n....that nut on the end is a godsend! Only 13$ a filter anyway:tongue:

Mckenzie
10-18-2004, 07:50 AM
My legend was originally designed to use the oil filter from the NSX as they share the same engine block. Owners of the legend started whinning about paying almost $20 for an oil filter so they designed a smaller version for the legend for around $13 I think.

As was said above, you will get more filtering capacity and longer life from your oil. I may switch to the NSX filter to extend the life of my synthetic oil because $75 an oil change is getting rally expensive every 5k kms.