PDA

View Full Version : Furnace Oil In a Diesel??

Deisel Love
10-17-2004, 09:01 AM
Hypothetically speaking of course... not that I'd do anything illegal... but if some crazy law breaker;) was using furnace oil in his diesel truck would there be any long term damage to the engine, or are they pretty much the same? If there is dangerous consequenses( besides getting caught) What are they?

dieselpower91
10-17-2004, 12:05 PM
I've never heard of furnace oil. there is such a thing as bio-diesel which is made mostly from animal fats and biproducts.
Im not sure why your so worried about getting busted runnig furnace oil!?:dunno:

Phuqu
10-17-2004, 12:23 PM
How much is furnace oil per liter?

Is it really worth it?

But to answer your question I have no clue.

ricosuave
10-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by dieselpower91
I've never heard of furnace oil. there is such a thing as bio-diesel which is made mostly from animal fats and biproducts.
Im not sure why your so worried about getting busted runnig furnace oil!?:dunno:

because the cost of the fuel is cheaper due to the taxes involved?

try looking here:

http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2496

rico

Kenny_boy
10-17-2004, 07:20 PM
I always thought furnace oil was the same as diesel...

It should be okay... but if somethin DOES happen... don't blame me... it w as your decision... :thumbsup:

Deisel Love
10-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Furnace oil or, home heating oil is what is used to heat homes in the not so warm climates. Here in Canada it is not taxed as much as deisel fuel. Thus is not allowed to be used in Highway vehicles. Right now in Nova Scotia Deisel fuel is selling for as much as 98 cents per litre( approx. $ 3.92 per gallon). While Furnace oil is selling for 56 cents per litre($ 2.24 per gallon). I know that in a pinch you can use Deisel in your furnace to heat your home but have been told that furnace oil is not quite as clean burning. Here in Canada furnace oil is dyed red so that authorities can mointor truckers using it in the big rigs. Apparently a pretty stiff fine.

Kenny_boy
10-18-2004, 06:46 PM
Well, it would only carbon up your engine faster, since it doesn't burn as nice, and might make a little more smoke and smell more, so if it is worth it to save some money and pay environmental taxes if you get caught... giver sh*t...

Also, the red dye is also used in farm fuel products...