PDA

View Full Version : 90 cavalier questions

MikeZ
10-17-2004, 02:34 PM
Hey everyone, I'm considering buying my first car. It's basically going to be a tub of shit, because I'm young and my part-time job doesn't pay that much. However I have saved some money and I'm considering buying a used 1990 2 door cavalier. My parents aren't going to let me drive our caravan alone, and I want something I can drive around in and for getting to hockey. It would be used very lightly, no daily commutes or anything.

I'd be paying 500 bucks for it, it runs fine right now, the owner drives it to work almost every day, but the owner told me I'll be needing a new power steering rack, and probably a new muffler soon. I'm going to find out how many kms are on it soon. I'm not looking for something fast or good looking, it's pretty much just for pleasure and learning to drive standard. I was wondering if it's realistic to me to think about fixing it myself, since ressources are pretty limited. From what I've heard and seen, a new power steering rack and muffler is gonna run me 100-150$ each... Would it be possible to install these myself with little to no knowledge or experience, or am I going to need to take it to a shop? Because if it needs professional work, I probably won't buy it.

I'm keeping my eye out for other cheapass used cars as well... is there any car in particular that can generally be found cheap but working?

EK 2.0
10-17-2004, 03:03 PM
send a PM to CMAN and to BARMANJAY...they are both really nice people to talk to about the J-Body family...lots of knowledge and nice to boot...